Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

what kinda coolant is this

ibfarmin ยท 2014-01-31 19:13

just bought a d6r series 2 I checked the coolant and it is red but it is not glycol. it does not smell or taste like diesel . it has the consistency and smell of turpentine. has any one heard of a different kind of coolant out there besides glycol?

Replies10
  1. #1Delmer2014-01-31 19:16

    Why do you say it's not glycol? Is it water soluble and what's the specific gravity?

  2. #2ibfarmin2014-01-31 19:24

    don't no the specific gravity but every glycol mix I ever came across a a lot thicker consistency and had a sweet taste, this is any thing but that

  3. #3Construct'O2014-01-31 19:28

    Factory Cat long life anti-freeze.

  4. #4Landclearer2014-01-31 19:31

    Construto is right, it is Cat extended life antifreeze. DO NOT add green to it, it will gel up on you. Chris

  5. #5ibfarmin2014-01-31 19:33

    thanks for the info I have never been around this kinda of coolant before.

  6. #6ibfarmin2014-01-31 19:35

    great info I am glad I asked

  7. #7kshansen2014-01-31 20:06

    Cat ELC is glycol based ! There are two versions of this, regular and with embitterment. That one is suppose to keep animals and I guess people from drinking it. They say 3.3 oz is the fatal limit! If interested in more info check out the MSDS: Go to: http://catmsds.cat.com In the "part number" space enter 1012844 for regular long life or 1195148 for the version with embitterment.

  8. #8heymccall2014-01-31 20:51

    That statement is wrong. My coworkers have proven that that statement is wrong. Yes, DO NOT MIX different type of antifreeze, but, the only time you'll actually find why not to is when you pull the sleeves in a sleeved engine.

  9. #9Delmer2014-01-31 21:20

    It's still glycol, the flavor may be added to decrease poisoning, or it may be the additive? If it's thinner then it's been diluted and doesn't have the same freeze protection.

  10. #10heymccall2014-01-31 21:42

    The "embitterment" is to deter animals (and people) from drinking it. Antifreeze has a sweet taste, akin to sugar water. It does not change the consistency, or appearance, of the antifreeze. It merely makes it taste, well, bitter.