I've tried searching both on HEF and on google, but haven't found too much. We've bought an older lowbed to use moving our farm dozer and excavator around. Trying to decide what length of chains to get to throw in the toolbox? Would also be looking to haul other farm equipment from time to time as well. Was thinking a 4 shorter lengths (10-12'?) and then 4 longer lengths (20'?) to start and see how that goes....... Andrew
I have a mix of 12s and 20s. Also carry one 30 that gets used occasionally, but not often for tie down. You can't carry two many chains in my opinion.
4 , 1/2 inch ratchet type binders work well , 1 on each corner from the grouser to the rail on the trailer provided that the binder will hook on the side of the trailer rail. I like short chains , 4 feet or so. Then a couple of 10s and a couple 20s. The 20s are only good for cargo loads like lumber tanks etc. Good chains and binders are fairly expensive. Well worth it as long as no one helps themselves to them.
A couple of 3 to 5 footers and one or two 10 to 15 footers Put both machines on the trailer and see what you need and start cutting. I always hated dragging 150 foot of chain around trying to tie something down.
And here I was worried that "those in the know" would tell me 10 feet was too short! Andrew
With an excavator on a lowboy.....I use 5 ratchet binders and a 15 foot chain over the boom. What you will need will be pretty specific to each machine. Cutting up a chain or two and buying a bag of hooks will make your life a lot easier, along with some ratchet binders.
Sounds like everyone has you taken care of. I carry four 10 footers and four 20 footers. All ⅜" transport chain. 8 ⅜-½" ratchet binders. I also have a couple of 12 foot 5/16" chains with binders to match. The DOT says you need 30% more load securement to the back than the front, but on the hoe, I do the same as Roddyo. Binder in each corner, chain over the boom and rock on. Oh yeah, almost forgot. Agree on the ratchet binders. Do not waste your money on lever binders.
When I was buying, the "deal" was always on premade 20 footers, so I would buy a pile of those and a box of hooks. One twenty will make two tens, or a 12 and an 8, 5 and 15, you get the drift. Hang 'em long to short, the further you reach the shorter and lighter the chain. Surprising how often you use short chains.
The great thing about the short chains is they don't disappear every time someone gets stuck if your around any type of farming operation it can reduce the PITA factor a lot
Granted I'm using a flatbed gooseneck but I normally carry 8x2', 8x3', 2x4', 4x16', 2x20' and 10+ binders. Most of the shorter chains have a grab hook on one end and a slip hook on the other. Some of the 2-3' chains and a 16' and 20' have a bare end to fit through lunnete ring or other holes the hooks won't pass through. Next week I'll be hauling a load of 4 mini loaders (2300-2700lbs) and two chippers. Each chipper gets 4 chains and binders. 3 of the mini loaders will get 1 chain and 2 ratchet straps, the last loader gets 4 straps. It's hard to properly tighten 3/8" chain on small machines like that. The 3 have a spot for chains on one end, nothing easy on the other.
Just make sure you use rated hooks. Lots of cheap hooks are out there, and at least here, DOT does on occasion check the chains. I read on a forum a few years ago from an old timer that said to leave your chains out to rust for a while. If they are all new it is a dead giveaway to the DOT that you are new to hauling.
Remember to use grade 70 and know the working load limits for 3/8 vs. 1/2 (its almost double)
I carry 6' chains and binders, grade 70 of course, and I also carry 8' ratchet straps with an appropriate rating. I'm not hauling as a business mind you... I'm just securing equipment to the trailer to go from job site to job site. In MY OPINION. the thing that makes it easy to secure a load is to have lots of points that you can hook a chain to, even if you have to weld on some additional ones. I just ordered a trailer and bought a half dozen stake pocket loop inserts AND had them weld a flat along the underside, on each side. No matter which piece of equipment I am carrying I have a place to hook to. I also like to do things like have additional attachment points welded on to the equipment itself, or in the case of my Tractor, I hung two pieces of chain off the front brush guard, or whatever they call it. ( This is a beefy piece of metal, not some flimsy add-on ) The point of all this is that dealing with the chains and binders at the end of a day can be soul crushing. OK, I exaggerate, but we all know it sucks, right? So if I can keep the chains as short as possible it makes my life easier.