Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What model is this Cat dozer?

juane27 ยท 2023-07-17 17:05

Hello guys, I'm trying to find out the model of this Caterpillar bulldozer. I have many doubts about this. It has a foot clutch and also hi and lo.

Replies9
  1. #1R.D.G0132023-07-17 18:09

    I would say its an early model D 6.

  2. #2juane272023-07-17 18:19

    Yes I know, but I can't find what year or model is. With "early" what range of years would you be referring to?

  3. #3Tinkerer2023-07-17 18:22

    It doesn't even look to me to be a US made dozer. I totally don't recognize the motor in it. Can you post some images of the motor. I have never seen a track idler like it has.

  4. #4juane272023-07-17 18:28

    The motor was replaced with an old bedford 350.

  5. #5Tones2023-07-17 20:19

    If it's a Cat the hi-lo you mention is most likely F-N-R lever. This tractor is a Bitza.

  6. #6juane272023-07-17 20:42

    I have watched the machine working and has a F-N-R lever and a Hi-Lo lever too. Also it has two brake levers for the direction but not individual pedal brakes. Thanks you very much by the way!

  7. #7OzDozer2023-07-17 20:56

    It's a 4R (narrow gauge - 60") or 5R (wide gauge - 74") D6, built between 1941 and 1947, when the 4R and 5R models were replaced by the new 8U and 9U D6 model. The major difference between the 4R/5R and 8U/9U was the engine. The 4R/5R was powered by the D4600 engine, the 8U/9U was powered by the "new" D318 engine. In your tractors case, if it has a foot clutch, this is a major modification from the original, which had a hand clutch. The tractor serial number is stamped into the upper vertical face of the rear housing, where the structure holding the rear hydraulic cylinder is bolted on. Can't recall now whether the number is on the left side or right side. The Bedford engine sure does make it a "bitza", and it sounds like major engineering modifications were also made to the controls and possibly another transmission added with the Bedford engine, as the Bedford can run at much higher RPM than the original Cat engine - which only ran at 1400RPM. I'm presuming the engine is diesel - and Bedford did not make a "350" engine, they made 330 cu in. and 466 cu in. diesels - but Bedford also used a Leyland diesel, which was 351 cu in. All of these old Cats have two steering clutch levers (the long vertical levers) and two brake pedals to brake the tracks (I can clearly see the steering levers and brake pedals). You control the direction of the tractor by pulling on one steering lever, which disengages the drive to the track on whichever side lever you have pulled. If you want to turn more sharply, you then apply the brake pedal on that side. You can do a gradual turn simply by pulling on a steering lever without touching the brake pedal.

  8. #8juane272023-07-17 21:54

    Thanks you very much. It seems this dozer has lot of modifications by what you are saying.

  9. #9Tinkerer2023-07-18 10:56

    Thanks for posting your question. I learned something new from it. Those are very creative modifications to it.