Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What model is this mack?

glenlunberg · 2013-10-14 21:23

Just want to ask what model is this truck. I never seen this before. Any information about this truck?

Replies31
  1. #1Steve Frazier2013-10-14 21:31

    M100SX http://www.commercialmotor.com/big-lorry-blog/now-that-s-what-i-call-a-big-mack-says-biglorryblog

  2. #2mitch5042013-10-14 21:51

    Steve, did you know this particular truck? The blog you posted said it's in NY state. I have some experience with the M45s in the steel mill here.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2013-10-14 22:28

    No I don't. The photo posted sparked my interest so I started googling Mack prime mover and that site came up. Coincidentally it isn't (or wasn't) too far from me. Might be worth some more investigating.

  4. #4Dualie2013-10-17 01:32

    Bigger crane and rigging has one here in Oakland. Its a monster. they even bolted a big IR diesel compressor to the back to supply air to their multi axle super load trailers.

  5. #5kshansen2013-10-17 19:59

    Our company used to own several of the off-highway Macks, none that big however. Most were M-30-35 haul trucks along with several of the M-50-65 models and last and least were a couple of the "little" M-15 trucks. One of the M-65's had a problem with a blown hose to the retarder while going down a steep hill fully loaded with a 90º left turn at the bottom. Truck did not make the turn but went nose first into a deep ditch. Knocked front axle out from under truck then did an end over flip into the ditch. Other than a few bumps and bruises driver walked away. We did bring truck to our shop and fixed it up and put it back in service. Took a long time as every time we got it part way together the plant it was from would call and say, "We need such and such" for one of the other trucks! Spent more time removing parts than installing them some weeks!

  6. #6Dualie2013-10-18 01:02

    that should have read Biggie* crane and rigging

  7. #7fyrwood guy2024-03-23 09:42

    Howdy everyone I just ran into this video over on you tube today, so i ran over here to find out more info about this truck

  8. #8Truck Shop2024-03-23 18:18

    That M100 belongs to the Mahan collection now, supposedly to be restored. Cost????? *

  9. #9kshansen2024-03-23 19:30

    I worked on a few of that one's little brothers overt he years. From little M15, M30, M35, M50 and the biggest the M-65's! Back in those days the company that owned the quarry also owned a Mack dealership in Easton Pa. so the majority of the truck the used for many years were Macks of one kind or another. A lot of B models from B-42's right up to B-81's then DM and R models one F model and a couple Superliners. Some were over the road trucks but most off-highway. Probably the biggest job was repairing a M-65 that did an end over flip loaded into a ditch. Don't recall if the same driver drove it after that accident. Was not exactly his fault as the truck had a failed retarder hose that burst just as he left the loading face to start down a steep road with a 90ºleft turn at the bottom and the Hough 400 loader was not fast enough to catch him and a lot of the equipment back then did not have CB radios. Lucky they had strict seat belt rules so after they took him to the ER and everything checked out OK other than minor bruising I guess another driver and him spent some time with some self medication at a local bar.

  10. #10Truck Shop2024-03-23 20:47
  11. #11Tyler d4c2024-03-23 21:45

    I could use one of those to move my crane and skid loader for those big jobs

  12. #12Shimmy12024-03-23 22:39

    Holy crap, usually we make fun of guys for resurrecting zombie threads, but you hadn't posted in close to 8 years so you get a free pass hahaha.

  13. #13fyrwood guy2024-03-24 20:44

    Thanks for the pass, i kinda forgot about this place until i watched that video. i knew somebody over here would know something about this truck!

  14. #14kshansen2024-03-25 07:20

    I am guilty as well now that I scrolled back and see my post from 2013!

  15. #15fyrwood guy2024-03-25 15:40

    It sure would be interesting to know if the restoration of this truck and trailer is taking place!

  16. #16Truck Shop2024-03-25 16:24

    Can figure--depending on how deep they go---because it will never be used---mostly exterior, what can be seen--still I guess 4 to 5 years.

  17. #17cfherrman2024-03-25 17:39

    What automatic can you put behind a 16v149?

  18. #18Truck Shop2024-03-25 18:16

    A big one---but the M100 came with the tried and true Mack Bulldog 5 Speed manual.

  19. #19Tyler d4c2024-03-25 18:19

    A 4r100 or a mt653 Alison will do

  20. #20cfherrman2024-03-25 18:21

    That one has a six speed. I think you might need 6 mt 653's

  21. #21Truck Shop2024-03-25 18:25

    Mack says you only need five.

  22. #22kshansen2024-03-25 19:46

    That M-100 Tuff-E-Nuff in the video has an Allison possibly a DP8000 or more likely 9000. The two biggest clues are in the pictures: That is very defiantly an Allison electric shift tower, I had to repair more than a few of them when the micro-switches in that box over on the right side started acting up! And then the label on the dash explaining the operation of the retarder make it more obvious. View attachment 308724

  23. #23cfherrman2024-03-25 19:57

    I had the same shifter on my 4460. It's probably the same exact cylinder and selector valve. The retarter on it looks like one on a Allison. The guy in the video said it's not because it has a gated 6 speed shifter but I don't think that's a good way to guess the trans

  24. #24Truck Shop2024-03-25 21:13

    Probably so, I only have a book covering up to HT 740-HT 750 CRD. Don't have any bigger coverage, setting on top of my V71-6-8-12-16 book.

  25. #25cfherrman2024-03-26 09:23

    The biggest I've seen is the Allison 5680, it's probably around 600 HP rated

  26. #26kshansen2024-03-26 11:36

    I worked on one or two 8000's, most I did were 5860 or other very similar. Did one CLBT750 also in a M series Mack. You have to be careful about those shift towers as on the outside they may all look the same but the side with all the little micro switches in it are wired different and have different cams to operate them. One other thing that can catch you is the solenoid valves in the control valves. Besides some being 12 volt or 24 volt there was an update at one time where the solenoid valves became polarity sensitive! That caused major headaches with one truck as the local dealer was not aware of the difference and it took a lot of digging to find the service bulletin explaining that change!

  27. #27cfherrman2024-03-26 16:13

    I've thought those were air shifted

  28. #28kshansen2024-03-26 19:31

    Trying to remember if I ever saw an Allison with air shift. Only thing close was many we had did have an air cylinder to work the retarder valve. The earlier Macks and Euclids had good old shift cables to shift. Biggest problems with those was when cables got old and stiff. You could have trouble knowing what gear you were in or not fully engaging a gear which I'm sure caused some clutch problems. Plus there was no lock-out system so it might be possible to down shift at too high a speed. Don't recall a failure from that. The electric shift control like in the picture above had a downshift inhibitor, that's the round part to the left of the shift lever. Just a big solenoid controlled by simple pressure switch on the transmission. I never saw one but there were some models of that electric shift that were automatic shifting.

  29. #29cfherrman2024-03-26 19:34

    Every one I've saw has had an air shifter except the new ones like the 4500. Trans like the 4460's, Allison 750's.

  30. #30fyrwood guy2024-04-03 07:53

    I think one of the moderators here should make this truck it's own thread. what do you think?

  31. #31Truck Shop2024-04-14 21:34