Not trying to start a war. I have an Kobelco excavator and it has an Isuzu motor. My local service station stocks Baldwin and Donaldson filters. I read a thread on here where one of those filters were better than the other but that was a long time ago and can’t find it. Is there a clear winner or is it ford and Chevy type argument. Thanks
Donaldson is the premier of the 2.............but I have used both with no issues. Donaldson is naturally a bit more expensive.
I've used both and really haven't had issue with either. The only real gripe I have is I tend to notice Baldwin doesn't seal some of their filters in plastic, just shipped open in its box. For a filter that just goes right from the parts counter to the job I don't think its a super big deal. If its going to bounce around in a cabinet in a service truck for a few weeks the cardboard starts to chaff and get inside the filter, which I don't like.
In a previous life, working for a Napa truck center, there were issues with Wix filters. Several reports of the filter media coming apart and blocking oil passages. Never had a hiccup with Donaldson or factory filters. I won't use Baldwin unless there's no other choice . Too many times, chasing down fuel related problems that trace back to a "will fit" filter.
Another vote for Donaldson out of the 2 options presented.
I buy Baldwin by the pickup load, if it ain't red I ain't buying it, best filter there is bar none. If you ain't got Baldwin you ain't got ****. It's what the top drive-ins and restaurants use to filter the grease from the deep fat fryer, if it works for food it will keep that 50k diesel engine running in top form. Baldwin is the only one who manufactures spin on oil filters 20' tall and 7' in diameter for the biggest ship engines in the world!
There's nothing wrong with those two brands. I used Hastings before they were red and now I use Baldwin. I've never had a filter related problem, only sometimes a fuel filter is plugged up after 4 months because stupid hands don't change them.
Can’t go wrong with either one. My only filter related issue has been on Cat’s. Anything but a Cat secondary fuel filter doesn’t last as long. Maybe 3-4k miles with another brand and 5-6k with Cat before I can start to feel it in the seat of my pants. I’ve run Wix on a ton of stuff and yet to have an issue with proper intervals. I’ve had a couple Fleetguard spring a leak in the can after a few hours on a machine. After that batch I never had another issue.
Ok thanks for the comments. Probably going with Donaldson but want be scared to use Baldwin if they are out of Donaldson.
Engine oil filters are all gateway filters and made of cellulose. The differences are in the mountings of the elements. The filtering material is woven in a tightness to block particles of a certain size. Cellulose will swell if water hits it and block flow. Bypass checks are installed to relieve high differential pressure across the filter media. Change oil and filters at manufacturer recommended intervals and name brand stuff will never give you a problem.
On older gear, I tended to stretch intervals a little since oil in general has improved but newer machines have pretty stretched intervals already so I go more by the book
Well this has been quite the ordeal. I ordered Donaldson filters and when they arrived I had a hydraulic filter as my bypass filter. The company sent me the correct filter. When I put the filters on I can’t get the full flow to quit dripping oil. After pulling it off the second time and comparing it to the Kobelco filter I’m going back with OEM. The OEM filter has at least a 1/8” more rubber on oring. Has more holes to accept oil. So with this machine I think that is my best move.
That was all a pain in the ass
The only way to check filters is to buy them, then cut them apart. The el-cheapo construction ones will soon show up as containing less filter media (wider pleats), thinner metal, poor or inadequate glue application holding the filter media, a lack of additional seals provided, and el-cheapo packaging. Way too many filters, including supposedly "top name" brands come inadequately packaged. There must be at least different 200 filter manufacturers, so it must be a very lucrative business.
Well I don’t have a clue if those Kobelco filters are made any better than the Donaldson filters. They sure cost a lot more but I went thru my dealer this time. The full flow had a number on it but the bypass filter didn’t. It only said Kobelco oil filter and then everything else was in Japanese. Hopefully when I get the invoice it will show the number. They had to order both filters so I had them shipped to my home. Time will get me before hours (500) on oil change. I feel like changing it out every year is the right thing to do. Im no where near putting 500 hours on it a year. I use Mack filters on dump truck, cat filters on dozer so why wouldn’t I use Kobelco filters on this machine. I’m sure I got more to learn.
I typically use OEM filters on everything (use Baldwin on my N14), it's just not worth it if they are junk filters. The Ford 6.0 aftermarket filters did a lot to hurt that engines reputation, the aftermarket fuel filters didn't have a weep hole in them to let air out so only about 20% of the filter would be used before it got clogged and the aftermarket oil filter has a ton of different problems.
I only use Baldwin filter. Never had an issue.
Kirkland---it's a great filter, and can get a deal on some ribeye steaks while there.
I'd still like to know if this guy ever donated $25.00 to charity as per our agreement for an NOS fuel cap for his Caterpillar dozer, or if he thumbed his nose at my good gratis to help him out.
I’m gonna bump this thread because I’m disappointed with the light duty oil filter market at this moment. There has been so much movement and bankruptcy within the filter industry, it’s very difficult to figure out the marketplace. For example, I’m been hearing quality control reports about Motorcraft Purolator Mann+Hummel. And, since I do maintenance on Superdutys the FL-820-S is a popular filter. So, I had a chance to cut one open today, afraid to look, and yes, the filter media is breaching just like folks are saying. In this instance, it’s just the glued seam coming apart. 3,200 miles of use.
We recently had a Wix engine oil filter on a Chevy Duramax split. It drains the engine oil in no time...
I'll never use wix since they single handle gave the 6.0 a bad name from no starts from their filter. I was talking about filters the other day to my hand and he looked up the motor craft and it's rated really low on the single pass efficiency so I'm going back to Baldwin except in the 6.0, those are made by raccor
About 3 years ago I had a bad batch of hydrualic filters from napa/wix, they would leak just a little once they got warm. Last year I had issues with napa and wix filters for fuel from 3 filters on 2 machines, the plastic drains on the bottom would wick fuel out but not drip and machines would end up airbound. Had to tighten the drain so tight they'll never come loose and almost snapped them to get the machines going
Which brings around the DD system for filtration. All cartridge, filters and housings can be inspected before and after use. It has it's pluses, yes it can be messy but done right the mess can be kept under control. Because fuel filters are cartridge housings can be checked for high pressure fuel pump failure, it will leave very fine metal particles in bottom of housings and elements can be checked on the spot for metal fuel or oil. *
This post reminded me of the "sock" type filters which looked more like a pant leg, that I became very familiar with as a 15 year old grease monkey/yard guy. TS, I know you are very familiar too. Cummins 743s primary filter was sometimes in the pan, behind the oil pump or hanging somewhere else. The hardest thing was showing the boss all the "gold and silver" I found when turning the sock inside out...
Fortunately, we still have a lot of good choices in the heavy -duty filter market for quality products and I’m glad NAPA is bringing on Donaldson. That will greatly simplify sourcing.
I use genuine Cat for my Cat engines and Donaldson for everything else.
I've been hearing the same things. I just did 2 of ours that take the 820 and cut the old filters, no seam failure but the glue problem is back apparently, pieces of the glue in the bottom, and the media was starting to pull off the end caps, glue was hard and chalky. We were already moving to all Baldwin and Donaldson anyway.
What about the FL 2124-S? That's the filters our 2 6.7's use.
I haven’t heard any quality control complaints about the FL 2124-S. The Stroker Broh’s would be pitching a fit about them, if there was. . Just be careful where you purchase them because it’s one of the most counterfeited filters in the marketplace. Looks like the latest version is a decent filter with full synthetic media and 20 micron rating. I’m not sure who manufactures it.
I'm cutting a 2124 next time my 19' f550 is due for service, never actually cut one of those open to see anyway. We were going to start putting Donaldson P502503's on the 6.7 trucks.
Thanks for info. I usually buy them on Amazon. Once bought a set of "Motorcraft" fuel filters for my 6.7 and they came in a generic box without the Motorcraft label on the bottom of the cartridge filter. Sent that **** directly back and made a complaint. Haven't had an issues with the oil filters. Who knows I might have a fake one on there now.
Do not buy filters on ebay or Amazon
I will buy them on Amazon, if I am trying to flush a system out, knowing that when I’m done, I will need the real deal. On my 580 SE they do sell a well made off brand, that I have cut open and it’s half the cost. So if during winter and I am having a condensation issue, I will put one of those in and try and make it to spring.
I've been buying Motorcraft filters - oil, fuel and air on Amazon for years with no problems other than the one counterfeit set of fuel filters I sent back.
I have seen some really good fakes from Amazon, it's not worth $5 less
Can get Donaldson of Baldwin from a HD parts house cheaper or about the same price then on amazon plus less worry about fakes, its for sure not worth buying motorcraft at the auto parts places, their prices have gotten more ridiculous even with commercial discounts.
Interesting filter news from NAPA. Premium Guard Inc, at their new (ish) Vietnam Advanced Filtration Inc plant, is manufacturing a Platinum label, apparently, high quality filter for the line up. This is the same plant that builds the Micro Guard Select filter for O-Reilys, and the Extended performance branded filter for Carquest. As you might know, NAPA switched from Wix to a confusing mix of questionable manufacturers and the quality went down the toilet. Silicone drain back valve, synthetic mesh with wire back up, 99%@20m, blah, blah. My local store is just starting to stock a few numbers.