Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What parts where down the quickest on your excavation machinery?

cryochuck ยท 2012-11-13 17:49

I don't know a whole lot about heavy equipment, but my job entails learning about it. Would someone tell me which parts wear out the quickest on heavy equipment? Thanks for any and all replies. Apologies for the wrong "where" in the thread post, it's been a long day...

Replies10
  1. #1buckfever2012-11-13 18:12

    Teeth and side cutters then probably the bucket and lower rollers. got over 7000 hours on two of our excavators and everything else seem tight.

  2. #2tuney4432012-11-14 12:55

    The operator!!!!Next would be teeth,cutting edges,and undercarriage parts.

  3. #3Cat_man3202012-11-18 08:14

    Yes its the "GETs" (ground engaging tools) that go first , for obvious reasons . then the undercarriage , ie: rollers , idlers , sprockets in that order maybe . Depending if the machine is being lubricated regularly , next would be bucket pins and so on. the key to any getting a long life out of any machine is regular and thorough maintenance .

  4. #4Vantage_TeS2012-11-18 20:56

    Actually I think filters win this challenge.

  5. #5Cat_man3202012-11-18 22:15

    No I don't think so , at least with regards to the GETs . I can wear a set of teeth out in two shifts or two days work when into the right rock . I don't think filters would have to be changed that quick .

  6. #6Vantage_TeS2012-11-19 00:08

    Thats in extreme conditions however you could kill a set of air filters that fast in extreme dust as well.

  7. #7Plant Fitter2012-11-29 05:27

    Not very often that a filter will WEAR out, unless it has something rubbing on it.

  8. #8stumpjumper832012-11-29 07:10

    I'm siding with vantage... as I got 600 hours out of the set of teeth that are on my 24" bucket for the takeuchi excavator. As for what wears the quickest, the fuel gauge... can't keep her full no matter how hard i try. Even if I dont use it, some theif steals it...

  9. #9Mevas2012-11-29 08:43

    GET might be the first worn parts. But we have seen several Cat 320s' and 323s' recrently with worn track bushings and rollers due far too tight chaines.The picture is from a 320DL with 3600 hours. It means also it is very much depending on operator and service staff capabilities.

  10. #10theironoracle2012-11-29 22:57

    cryochuck, if your clearing and grubbing/road building it will probably be the hoses around the bucket and thumb cylinders, especially the hydraulic quick coupler lines, front windows, right rear door covering hydraulic pump. these are not wear items but just something that hasn't been mentioned yet if this is type of work you are doing...................theironoracle