Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

what ply tire for ford 4500 backhoe?

shopteacher 1 ยท 2011-01-31 08:25

I need a tire for the rear of my ford 4500 backhoe. I have found a used set of 6 ply tires the same size (16.9 x 28). What is on the hoe now are 8 ply. I use the machine around the house and for plowing snow, I am not out working with it. I can buy these two tires for $250. Do you guys think I will be ok with 6 ply tires instead of 8 ply? Thanks, John

Replies2
  1. #1El Hombre2011-01-31 10:52

    Usually there's a weight limit molded into the sidewall, compare the 8ply with the 6ply. Or do some googling and find a load chart for them. Lacking all that, for a home machine, I'd do it. Just keep the tire pressures up.

  2. #2daman2011-01-31 18:08

    I'll check mine and post back..