Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

what psi should radiator cap be for a diesel?

jbanderson ยท 2010-05-28 06:12

Its a 3 cylinder isuzu, It keeps blowing water out of the radiator vent hole and overheating im hoping its just the cap, I duno what else would cause that. also its a small cap, does anyone know if there is a standard size? thanks

Replies9
  1. #1soso2010-05-28 08:34

    take off rad cap start it up and see if it is blowing bubbles in coolant, if so it is blowing by head or head gasket as for the cap you can get a tester to check them, it also can be used to test for coolant leaks in rads and blocks.

  2. #2Dualie2010-05-29 03:12

    most of my equipment has 7lb caps. but it sounds like you got bigger problems

  3. #3stock2010-05-29 13:37

    Yep I have to agree with everyone else it's probably a blown head gasket.Over here most rad caps are 15psi but you will do more damage by changing the cap or prolonged use of the engine in this condition..Time for a Wrench Bender

  4. #4joispoi2010-05-29 14:29

    Stock beat me to it. Sounds like it's time to pull the head and have a look at that head gasket.

  5. #5jbanderson2010-05-29 23:07

    sounds like its time to sell it! working on a mini X is probly the worst thing I have ever had to work on..... Nothing is accessable

  6. #6jbanderson2010-05-29 23:11

    anyone recoment a good place to buy one just in case? Colant keeps getting low, and has been running rough.. And I checked and yes I got bubbles in the coolant... DANGIT!!!

  7. #7stock2010-05-30 07:11

    Probably cost a lot less to do the head gasket than to replace it..

  8. #8jbanderson2010-05-30 16:51

    deffinatly, but I dont need it. Im gonna do the head gasket probly if I can find somewere to buy parts!! This is rediculess

  9. #9ontrac2010-05-30 17:16

    By the way every 1 psi pressure on the system will give you about a 3 dergee temp drop that is why some caps are alot higher than others.