Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

WORK ? Anybody doing it and making $?

imjustdave · 2010-05-26 14:38

So my business is closed.... too many no pays, too many canceled jobs, too many monthly bills.... Now I don't have anything. No truck, no excavator its all gone.... bills are gone too .... So I’m at the beginning again... So I'm wondering what people are doing at their these days? Any new and cool ideas? GREEN? Anything worth doing? Friend said I should go into the wine bottling business... obtain a bottling machine and bottle wine for people... Supposedly there are a lot of people making wine that don’t have a machine to bottle it … aahhhhh ok. So I’m asking what are people doing right now? Even the oil cleanup down in New Orleans sounds like a bust... .

Replies13
  1. #1Acivil2010-05-26 16:02

    Public work, Maintenance and Rehab work, or bailing out projects where other contractors went bust. Jobs in duress have been good for us, it just rough to handle the pressure, the mess the last guys left, and the tight timeline due to the last guys, do the dance and get your $... Its just tricky judging the owner, and making sure they have the funds, and making your payment terms so tight that they won't have the project finished until they pay. It feels like you are going to lose the job, but if they really need it finished, they will cave. If they don't cave, then you didn't want the job anyways. If you decide to go back after it, you will find some serious value building you fleet back up, banks are taking on more equipment by the day. You might consider getting into some sub trades that are a big part of public work like erosion control, boring, concrete texturing, cutting and coring, that sort of stuff thats not super capital intensive, but still can earn you some decent money... better yet have your wife set it up and get a DBE status. Good Luck

  2. #2Aliate2010-05-26 19:36

    how much stuff did you get rid of?

  3. #3rino14942010-05-26 23:38

    Around here, is seems that everyone that is losing their job is starting a lawn care business. It is funny to see just about every pickup driving down the road with a lawnmower in the back.

  4. #4Vantage_TeS2010-05-26 23:41

    Wait I'm supposed to get paid for doing this?

  5. #5keneken2010-05-27 01:54

    Hello! Im from NY state and the work here is slim! I lost the job at a factory I worked at for 15 years. Overseas it went! I have a good heavy equipment background, So I went to school and earned my HEO cirt on transem,blueprint,escavator,bulldozer,backhoe, front end loader and bobcat. I had to turn a farm field with a 3 ft pitch into a level area 150x200 ft. Then I had to stake out a property line from a blue print, and mark out a basement, well, leach feild, water lines etc. and to make it fun they put in an imagenery creek I had to stay 100ft from with the septic! Well I passed with the highest that could be! My instructer told me that what I did passed ny state building code to a T. Out of all the students I was the only one who asked the magic question! DID WE CALL DIG SAFE NY ? Before I even pre- tripped the equipment! I even had the dig piles 2ft away from all dig openings! Now I'm half way through my CDL class A training! Sorry folks for ramlelin' on. Lol Just a little pride I guess! I have a strong background in front end loader with both 12 ft forks and bucket! Car loading on car carriers and major snow removal. Also I'm a osha cirt at induserial forklift! Iv'e had 2 jobs in my entire life! I just wanted a paycheck! I start and finnish things! I outlasted both of my jobs! I was even a teamleader on a 15 million dollar automated kiln for 7 years, With a fantastic letter of referance from my old supervisor! No accidents, At work every day, not a drug head, Perfect driving record, no backgroung with the law! Well being a father and a husband to my highschool sweethart kept me strait! It wasn't all me! lol. Would you hire me? Well each job line is 50 people long so here I sit! I figure I could learn more about my chosen field by checking out this site! I figured I'm new so I would give every one a little background on myself! Good luck!!!

  6. #6stock2010-05-27 02:15

    Welcome there Keneken sorry about the cleche but it seem like you found the American dream.Enjoy the site lots of information here,some of it you will have an idea about and more of it well .....you just got to live it to appreciate it.Best of luck in your new field..

  7. #7Hendrik2010-05-27 04:46

    Ya gotta travel, come to Oz we have loads of work for good operators. And we speak English, sorta.

  8. #8bigrus2010-05-27 08:23

    Yeah if you live in Perth WA gotta move over there to jag one the dozens of FIFO jobs :Banghead

  9. #9keneken2010-05-27 11:36

    Yup! I'm still dreamin' about finding work! I figure with a CLASS A CDL I could have a better chance. I know how to load and chain down on a flatbed and crib equipment for repair. I'm not a pro but I am very safety oriented. I'll ask and can be tought quick! Haul equipment to a jobsite and operate it too! That's my angle! I know being out of work is prob a common problem! Like a join the club thing! But without work what is there to talk about? I heard that hauling and or setting up wind mill's is getting pretty big! some of you folks looking into another way to $$$ feed your family's might check into that in your area. Large farm equipment too! I understand that the gov is bailing out alot of farms so they can stay in operation. It's about time in my book! Busting butt from dawn to dusk to feed others! If anyone deserves it they do!! I have no real facts on that though! Just coffee shop conversations. But hey! Any tip is better than no tip! I hope it pans out for some of us! The GREEN thing will be the thing soon! How can it not be? Good lord ! Big companys are buying carbon credits from trees!

  10. #10Speedpup2010-05-27 11:43

    Did one big job last year and did real, real well but it look real grim at best now with a few small jobs I have no payments or mortgages so I will survive.

  11. #11keneken2010-05-27 11:56

    Thats good bud! That's smart to pay off your debt while you can. I drive an old truck and bought an old house and fixed it up little by little! No banks are taking my life away either! I was always afraid of my job folding! And it shure did! Just trying to not get pulled backwards is a fight in itself. Dig in your heals and serch for that new future! Hard workers will work!!

  12. #12Tracklayer2010-05-28 11:09

    Are there operator jobs in North Dakota in connection with the new oil field development?

  13. #13roda2010-05-28 11:16

    it is tough everywhere