Currently a Michigan resident who just acquired 50+ acres with multiple projects needing general land moving, and a pond to potentially alter/modify. I've been looking across multiple forums and "guides" with not much luck besides the general overview. My main question, what do I want and why? As mentioned, the most versatile piece of equipment is probably what I'm after. I have so many questions, I feel as though this is better left open to begin.. Situation: - Pond - 50 + acres of land with trees to potentially move - Some hilly areas (concerns in regard to flipping?) I see all over the place, "You want a skidsteer, they can do multiple things and have all the power you need.." From any loyal skidsteer'ists, is this true? My initial thought was the skidsteer (bucket changing potential, forklifts for tree moving, etc) but after researching, they can be a similar to price to full sized excavators if not more expensive. So with cost being taken into comparison, is it worth it? What's the maintenance issue? If I can get a full out back hoe/front end loader (what I assume to be the most usable for different projects) for half the cost, what should I be concerned with? Do they break down and are a maintenance nightmare? Long story short : Trying to get a piece of heavy equipment that won't be a maintenance nightmare and can do the most jobs/is the most versatile, while keeping cost in consideration. i.e. A bulldozer would be incredible, but is much more expensive, and can't do as many jobs as a Skidsteer (I don't believe..). WHAT should I consider when looking at various option between Back Hoe Loaders, Skidsteers, and potentially full sized excavators? For a skidsteer, why would one be $35k and another $10k? Is there really that much flux in the quality, or is that more so for professionals who want to run them 15 hours a day and they're priced that way based on engine longevity over overall power.
Easy example pulled from craigslist 1 minute ago (one of the cheaper bobcats) in comparison to this Backhoe. Why wouldn't I want the backhoe instead if its cheaper and (in my opinion as an amateur) much more beastly/powerful looking.
Then there's this one.. Is New Holland like the sports car of Backhoes or is the previous one listed just trash?
The 310 c you listed was made in the early to mid 90s the new holland is a 2007 model Personally I would be all over that 310 you posted they hold up pretty good and there were thousands made so you can get parts about anywhere not saying buy that exact one you would need to look it over decent for that price I would expect it to not need any major work Neeholland is not the easiest to get parts for not that they are bad but just not as popular in the states as deere is or case I would shy away from a skid steer for what you looking for as awesome of a machine as they are you have to buy attachments to make them versatile like a backhoe If your talking full size excavator I am thinking like 15 ton or bigger if you a are looking at those in the 20000 dollar range be prepared to work on it and be prepared to spend some money to get it moved A backhoe can do anything you want and do it well especially for your needs it's all a matter of weather you want to actually run the machine or just drive the machine
Does that bobcat add have an actual phone number, or a janedoeatgmail? It looks like a scam pic and price to me, don't bother replying to too good to be true adds. Although the price I usually see is $2,555 and the pic is from the latest trip to southern CA. I like that 310 also, but anything, in any price range, from any seller, can break down and set you back thousands at any time. Hours and condition are two huge factors in price as well as age. popularity of the machine makes a big difference also.
Lucas...I wish I had 50 acres!!!...only have about 8, but here are some questions? How old are you....how agile? Will you be working mainly alone? Is the ground well drained, or muddy/swampy, or rocky? I'm 72, still pretty agile (I think), a retired professional Civil Engineer & computer systems manager, & an extreme DIY'er. I almost always work alone. I'm not a diesel mechanic nor a heavy equipment mechanic. My ground is mostly clayey till, little swampy in some areas, occasional rocks. The equipment I have is: 1990 compact utility tractor, NH 1320, 20hp, 4WD, w/ FEL that has a std skid-steer quick attach mount, & std. 3-pt hitch, with rear mount mower & landscape rake. Bought new in 1990. 2005 midi excavator, NH EH80-CS, about 19,000 lbs, steel tracks, full cab w/ heat & AC, w/ hydraulic thumb & manual quick coupler that accepts my 24" trench bucket, 48" ditch bucket, a ripper, & a skid-steer quick attach mount. Bought used in 2012 . 2012 skid steer, NH L220, full cab w/ heat & AC, with rubber OTT's, tipping load 4,000 pounds, with a 6' low-profile bucket, a 7' power angle snow plow, & a set of heavy-duty pallet forks. Bought NEW in 2012. Based on all of the above, here are some observations: My 1990 compact utility tractor is absolutely the best, most versatile, most reliable, easiest to use & maintain piece of equipment I own. Thanks to it's lack of electronics, it never fails to start & run. It is a breeze to mount/dismount & its visibility is 360*. I plowed snow w/ its 5' bucket until 2012, when I decided I was tired of being cold when plowing, & bought the skid steer to give old "Blue" a rest...& me a break...in the winter. For plowing snow, my skid steer setup is almost perfect. I'm warm (even has a seat heater). It's maneuverability can't be beat (it will turn completely within its own length). Side & rear visibility is not great by its design, & but the biggest problem is mounting/dismounting. It's a PITA...same with any skid steer...makes working by yourself very tedious if you have to get in & out a lot. My excavator is a jack of all trades & I love it. If you need to seriously dig (pond), remove trees (stumps), get an steel tracked excavator....the bigger the better. I love my EH80, but for 50 acres I would go bigger..20 tons or more. The bigger used ones are actually a better buy because they are hard (expensive) to move site to site. If you're only using it on your site, that's irrelevant. If the machine is big enough, you may be able to get away with just a std. pin-mounted bucket for stumping. A ripper in place of the bucket will make stumping WAY easier, but now you have change pin-on attachments, or have a quick coupler. Over time I've configured the attachment systems to be the most versatile as possible, all built around the std. skid-steer quick attach, that permits each attachment to be used on as many pieces of equipment as possible. A variety of good attachments is what actually gets the work done. For example, my pallet forks will quickly mount on my tractor or skid steer, & with a little more effort will mount ion my excavator. I have come to realize that the pallet forks are the cheapest & most versatile attachment I own. All the other attachments are on pallets for storage & moving around, all made possible by the pallet forks. My general purpose tractor bucket will quickly mount on my tractor or my skid steer. Same with my low-profile skid steer bucket. Because of the limited use I get out of my skid steer, I'm contemplating selling/trading it in for the right compact loader. I've done a lot of research & I'm thinking a Gehl or Wacker Neusen. Sorry for going on so long, I've got a few more thoughts to summarize, but it will have to wait 'til later...
small crawler loader with a detachable hoe is in my opinion the best all around machine made 450 jd or case or cat` rubber track skids are useless for any serious work
I have 30 acres and recently upgraded to a 2010 cab John Deere 4720 large frame compact tractor (66 HP) from a 30 horse open station Kubota compact tractor. I added a grapple and two cylinders on the three point hitch so I could articulate the box blade when taking care of my interior roads. This setup takes care of 90% of my ranch needs (I have pallet forks, a rear blade, bale spear and mower.) Having said that, I have a Bobcat E42 4.5 ton class mini excavator with cab and thumb on order because I can use it for all of the other chores the tractor doesn’t do well (and it will be fun to operate!) If you can only afford one machine, get either a large frame compact tractor (Deere) or step up to the 5000 series Deere utility tractor. Add implements as you cad afford them. Rent an excavator when you need one (or buy one!) By the way, I will never again own an open station machine - I’m too used to heat and AC and no dust & pollen when mowing.
My thought's as well . The track loader combo unit would be my pick for the most versatile machine . Tracked version of the rubber tire backhoe . Can't think of a job it won't handle ? One with the 4 in one bucket . https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/29719875/2000-deere-555g-tc
Keeping up 50 acres. A good farm tractor is surely the more useful and economical piece to buy. Some of the other jobs you mentioned others have have given great advice. If you buy those machines what are you doing with them when those jobs are done? What if you planed and scheduled all the work you need done with one of those machines. Have all the dirt, rock, clay, etc ready. Then rent a machine and knock it out. Take it back. Or buy a machine if you find a good deal. Do what you want and sell it? Sometimes hiring a professional is the best deal. Just my opinion.
Just out of curiosity, are you mechanically inclined? How's your finances? The reason I ask is if you have some spending funds and can work on machines (and don't hate it), you can find some deals on older used equipment. We have an excavator that is old and slow, a small dozer, a dump truck, a loader, a backhoe, and a few other pieces, but they do what we need them to do on our property, plus we can work on them. That's the catch. It's a deal it's because it needs work, sometimes more that I think, but I enjoy fixing things up. We've collected these over the years when we've started a new project and found we needed something else to make things easier. It starts out with thinking we can always resell it, then find other uses for them and keep them. The thing in owning property is you always think of something new you want to do for improvement. If you have the time, resources, and equipment, it can be both enjoyable and satisfying.
I guess I'd want to know just a little more about your personal situation, in order to give a little better advice on what you should buy. 1: Are you retired, or full time working? 2: How much can you spend in initial purchase price, and how much can you spend repairing? 3: How much experience and /or how much do you enjoy working on equipment? 4: What experience do you have running equipment? Question 1: If you're retired, it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get it done, if you still have a regular job- you've only got weekends or vacation time to work. Retired means probably owning the stuff and working less each day, if something breaks you've got time to fix it. If you've still got a job, rent a good bigger machine on a long weekend and hammer some stuff out/ or newer stuff so its a little less likely to be broken. Question 2: If you've got only $10,000 to buy equipment, its a big difference from buying $50,000 equipment. Newer isn't always better. Not every machine does every job well, and some machines can do most jobs. Question 3: If you don't have much money to spend, you're going to have to buy older equipment, and it all needs work. If you've only got $20,000, you better buy a $12,000 machine and save some for repairs, a lot of time there isn't a huge difference reliability wise between a $12,000 backhoe and a $18,000 one, and the extra $6,000 will buy a lot of parts. The more you can repair yourself, the cheaper the repairs are. If you hate working on equipment,or have no idea what you're doing mechanic wise- you better buy new with warranty. Question 4: The less experienced you are, the longer its going to take to do everything. The more likely you are to tear stuff up, and that costs $. The other danger is- you can actually tear yourself up too. Knocking down big trees is something that even experienced guys can get in trouble doing. Equipment is a ball of fun to run, but I'd hate for you to get in over your head and hurt yourself. If you can give us maybe a little more info on yourself, your experience and what you currently do, and a vague round # of what you want to spend and how fast you want to do everything, we can probably give a little better advice.
Wow, is thread similar to the other one.
What kind of trees are on the property? Around here if it's worth their while, some companies will cut and remove the trees just to get the wood and charge nothing. If it's valuable, they will give you some money back. Friend of mine had 200 acres cut. They built roads for access, took the wood, and gave him 9000 dollars as a share for the oak and maple. He then paid someone to mulch the rest, no stumps to deal with. Did everything else with a big ass New Holland tractor. Keeps cattle there now. Never know it was a wooded area. Only took 3 years
Ctl and older excavator...if you have a pond...ctl is great....i agree ad looks like scam
We (family) have 160 acres up in central coast area. Pretty hilly with mostly Adobe clay dirt, and 3 full miles of road to take care of. We can handle 99% of what needs to be done with our Deere 210 Skip loader and 4/1 bucket or our Case 450 dozer. We’ve also got a Deere 450 Track loader with a detachable backhoe on the rear but rarely use it as when we need to use a hoe we’ll rent a larger one. Skip loaders seem really under appreciated on this forum, I’m not sure why. Between the 4/1 and the Gannon box we get most of what needs to be done handled pretty easily.
I have never seen the usefullness of a skip loader. A backhoe with a 4 in 1 bucket would do the job, plus you get the backhoe. Even a tractor with a good box blade, at least you can use other attachments. Guess if you already own it, but I would never buy one myself.
Skip loaders are not popular outside the southwest down here you can't go past a job without seeing one other parts of the country not so much That said if you have never used a deere 210 you have no idea how you did small grading work without it the machine is a horse I can grade in an hour with a skip loader what will take half a day on a backhoe
Does the blade have down pressure, or is it like a 3pt hitch. I've only seen videos of them, I have never seen one in Canada
They work off a ram attached to the three point there is no rock shaft so you get side to side adjustment back an forth pitch and up and down all with down pressure If your not paying attention you can take to much weight off your rear tires and spinout if you dont have 4wd But they balance well also they have the power to use the rippers and force them in the ground effectively I have also seen one with a top on 3d system on it works pretty slick
For all the work required to keep a road graded and clean a skip loader beats a backhoe for sure. If you need to do more digging than grading a backhoe is the choice.
I’ve sold a few of them with Leica systems to guys who are punching pads for a living.
Run what ya brung . Skip loader's & farm tractors kick ass for " all around " type tasks .
Must be some truth to this, most “get **** done” guys I know can make magic with machines you wouldn’t choose for the job.
I'm not real knacky on a bucket machine as far as leveling, but a few guys I work with can level a parking lot with a loader or a backhoe front bucket and I barely have to touch it with the grader
UPDATE: Thank you all for your input!!! Currently looking at spending $20,000 - $30,000 After taking everything into consideration, I'm looking to get a tractor/backhoe combination. I'm looking at the Kubota B2650 (found a deal for one with 50 hours) currently, as I don't necessarily need the B3650 considering the Raptor won't pull the weight. It has the backhoe, front bucket, and other attachments and is a 2016. Priced around $21k - Seems to be a good deal. My concern: do these machines have issues that aren't advertised? I've known Kubota to be a reputable brand but want to hear some opinions. Is there a similar product, in the same price range (or close), that outperforms it?
Nice little tractor, but it wouldn't have the power or convenience of an actual backhoe. Getting out of the cab to run the backhoe, gets old fast, but on the other hand, a backhoe is just a backhoe. You can take the backhoe off the Kubota, and use it as a tractor
Well if your happy lifting 600 lbs or so with the loader...and dont use the backhoe much...you should be fine....the tractor is very good.... but everything is very small....my dad had one for is sugar camp...it was a 2 hr stumper...it took 2 hrs for most decent stumps....i did not have the patience to run it long...and it was VERY tippy. Wont lift a round bale either...4 ft bush hog...and had to go super slow...if you said 5 acres...i would say great...but 50 acres....you will grow...the machine wont....it will be like hauling 500 gallons of water one cup at a time....can it be done...sure....but the days would get long fast
The $1000 question is what do you expect out of that little tractor on your 50 acres? I would love to have one of those for small property maintenance with a belly mower and removable backhoe. It would be great to mow grass, plant bushes, turn over a garden and general maintenance. If those are the tasks you're looking at completing that machine will work nicely.
I've done some digging with Kubota-sized machines. While they do have plenty of power, they don't have the weight. The little buggers beat me to death digging with the hoe. They can really throw you around if you're working in hard(ish) dirt.
A dealer I respect told me on a scale of 1-10 a Kubota is a 10. He also sold two other brands and I bought a Mahindra 3525 with a loader. Actually my wife did for her horse barn but I use it a lot more than she does. I regret not having 4WD sometimes. I would not want anything less. The tractor you are looking at is just to small in my opinion.
My yard machines are a 910 Cat wheel loader and a 303 Cat excavator. The 910 has a hydraulic quick change , forks ,a bucket and a trailer hitch. The 303 handles digging and stumping pretty well and the 910 levells moves stumps and brush and dirt . Ive only got 5 acres ,if i had 50 acres id probably have a bigger excavator and a D6 . My machines are older ,and i dont have a huge investment in them reliable. As for skid steers, you might as well just have a 6 bottom plow they just chew up ground and feel like getting in and out of the grandkids carseat with safety bars and doors that interfear with the boom.
$20,000-30,000 you could get 2 decent older machines. If your family has 160 acres and a bunch of equipment already, why is it so hard to figure out what would work best for you? The only miracle machine that can do anything is your wallet if you want to hire everything out. In a tractor I think you'd want at least 40HP. CTL's can be expensive when it comes to tracks and maintenance. Skid steer might be a better option. Thousands of 30+ year old farm tractors are still earning their keep if you want something dependable that isn't a nightmare to repair. 100's of 3pt. hitch attachments readily available new and used.
Doing a pond and general earth moving/land clearing the little tractors aren’t going to cut it. Property maintenance once the heavy work is done? They are great
Like others have said, that's too small - been there done that with my 30hp Kubota. Its max lift at the loader pins was 1,000 pounds on a good day, round hay bales are 1,000+ pounds. Plus the loader was fixed - no way to change to forks, bale spear, etc. In 10+ years of owning our small ranch, I never once missed not having a backhoe. If you need to dig, buy or rent an excavator - that's what they do best. Having said that, I did buy the Bobcat E42 mini-ex to compliment the other equipment but I have a bunch of work for it and it's just fun to have and operate. My Kubota was a great little tractor and extremely reliable. I had a front axle seal go out at 100 hours, at about 400 hours I replaced all of the hydraulic hoses and at about 500 hours I had both lift cylinders rebuilt. I bought my Deere 4720/cab for $34k with a new H180 loader and MX8 pull mower - about 400 hours and it's a 2010 model, no emissions BS on it. It's a pleasure to own and operate.
Bigger equipment for 5 acres Hmm? What is that in the back? A Cub or an A? What is that tiller on the left? A David Bradley or a Wheel Horse? Cow and the horse don't look bad ether but I would thank he should buy a tractor that would be a life long purchase. Nice pictures.
The main factor here is your terrain. Is it mostly dry? Does it stay that way other than snow? Do you intend to clear your drives as well? Is it dense wooded? Some pictures of the pond and landscape would help. Almost everything here is spitballing favorite machine opinions. Start with tread. Tracks or tires? 50 acres is far to track, but beating the wrong machine on a task will take just as long. If you muck around in a pond a lot, you may want an excavator. If its cutting weeds and general maintainence, the kubota would be fine. You need to decide, how often will you use a heavy machine? Will you just need maintenance with the occasional tough task every 10 years or so? I could tell you my favorite machine would be a backhoe or excavator, but how often will you move dirt? What will you mainly be moving?
The tiller is a troy built and the tractor is a Cub . Its a bit overkill, the loader and excavator are semi retired from work projects . The old equipment isnt worth a lot and I seem to have a hard time parting with equipment anyhow.The old mare might be offended at being confused for a cow .
I own a small farm(80 acres) have a ANCIENT Tracked Loader(old Allis) a farm tractor with loader and a few implements, loader at 23000lbs is a bit light for some work, but can work around that, rails and shoes are shot with nothing new in the replacement catalogs for these old machines so I deal with as can. Use a 8' BUSH HOG brand Brush hog on a 70hp farm tractor to knock down brush where then can run a disc thru to cut the root structure up. Chemical application for stubborn thorny brush and if I need heavy work done as pond rework or build will call a registered and reputable contractor with proper machines primarily mid sized excavators
I have built a couple ponds with the kx080 excavator....would not want to try it with anything smaller...it took forever...the 9050 case is way better lol
Thanks for the reply. Apologies to the mare and the Troy Built. Wife gave me a card for an eye appointment she made for me. Said you have got to have new glasses. That's my story and I am sticking to it. However I did pass my CDL physical with scratched glasses and all. Still believe that he just needs a decent tractor. Rent bigger equipment for a job if needed. If he has no experience it could be cheaper to just hire an experienced operator with equipment for that job. Maybe he can find a neighbor like you and they can help each other out.