Attached is a link to a pic of what appears to be an off-road tire being hauled down the highway: http://www.coasttocoastam.com/cimag...-US/Mysterious-Oversize-Load_photo_medium.jpg I've never seen off-road tires tarped-up like this when on the highway. Is there a reason for it? Also, it doesn't look like just a tire. It's sitting on a frame or mount off of the trailer a ways. Is this a complete hub assembly rather than just a tire which might explain they way it's sitting and why it's covered? Just curious. Thanks to all in advance.
Please do not post duplicate threads. Thanks
If it is a tire, which i'm not convinced it is. It could be the wheel assembly and tire from some sort of accident where it has to be transported to a dealership, etc. Where the tarp would make sense. Anyone know? On edit, here is the pic in the link:
Or it could be something being delivered to Area 51:naughty
It does have a police escort, AND a pilot car:beatsme so area 51, why not? That was actually the first thing to pop into my mind, was hmm, looks like area 51 material. Maybe someone out there knows, then again the driver himself might not know what hes carrying:Banghead
The highway patrol is due to the extreme width of the load. I bet there is at least one, maybe two more in front clearing the way. Looks like it is around 18' wide or so. Highway patrol for any load over 16' here in CA, and that is on a 4 lane fwy. Less on a 2 lane. My bet is an antenna or satelite dish of some kind. It does not look at all like a tire to me.
I really doubt they'll make it... the mother ship is focusing a tractor beam on them right now... OCR
And you've now discovered one of my other intrerests in life. I am an A51 buff (and yes I've visited the place) so I visit a site that discusses the topic. These pics were brought up since they were taken on the same main road that leads from L.V. to A51 and because it is known from the past that on occasion items are trucked out to A51 as opposed to flown in. As well, there are some mines in northern Nevada where just such a things might be travelling upon the same road to reach. At first glance, obviously a tire on a flatbed. Upon further look, it's not just a tire and I've never seen simple tires covered up like this while going down the highway. Due to its stance on the trailer, elevated with someting underneath it, my next guess is that it is an entire main hub assembly being hauled to site and tarped-up to prevent damage to any sensitive components that are exposed in transport. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Sorry for the double-post, I wasn't thinking and just went for a "wide net" approach to get a response.
It sure looks like a turbine runner for a hydro-electric plant to me. They make a lot of them in York,Pa. at the Voith Hydro plant. It is a real job to transport them.
moon landing maybe its a part of the set for the next moon landing
thats left over from the new transformer movie............
Here's a couple more pics. My thought is that's a pretty elaborate canvas for a one time move. It seems custom fit which leads me to believe the cover is used more than once. The area that would appear to be a tire seems suspended in the center by what could appear to be a hub of some sort. I've got no clue to what it could be.
It a space of some sort for sure!
On close look, I think Bill on the Hill nailed it as a turbine of some sort
Here is a pic of what I am talking about. I have seen a lot of these transported from York,Pa. to Baltimore,Md. over the years. The really big and heavy ones they removed a section of the interstate median barrier and stopped all traffic for about 20 minutes to cross over the interstate. Then down back roads through a bunch of small towns to reach the harbor in Baltimore. They are building a bunch of big units for the next 6 years to put in a big Chinese hydro project.
Ding. we have a winner
I think it is a small UFO
...'tis about time we send them something besides our jobs...