Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What’s the toughest rubber track?

materthegreater · 2026-08-07 13:34

Time for new tracks for my Mecalac 6MCR. This machine does a lot more tracking than a traditional mini excavator because of it's skid steer capabilities. So I'm looking for tracks that will hold up the best to skid steer type use on rough ground. I've heard good things about Bridgestone, any other favorites?

Replies49
  1. #1CM19952026-08-07 17:56

    Bridgestone is the toughest we've come across for our CTL's. Last time I bought a set for one of our 279's they were double the price of the cheap aftermarket but worth the price IMO. Dealer was running a special at that time where we basically got the Cat sprocket segments and bolts for "free". I have thrown good money after cheap southeast Asian made tracks and will not do it again.

  2. #2KenMac2026-08-07 20:37

    When I was in need of new tracks for my TB 260 I asked everyone I knew who had equipment. Every one recommended KTSU tracks from Tractor & Equipment in Birmingham, AL. I've been completely satisfied with them. After about 400 hours the small bars are still visible on the pads. YMMV By the way, they were just over half the price of Bridgestones.

  3. #3jbernielh2026-08-07 20:40

    camso MEX/HD I've run 2 sets on fractured rock etc and they hold up great... a little pricy but worth it

  4. #4CM19952026-08-07 21:06

    I've bought the same from TEC in the 'ham with not the same results. However that was years ago.

  5. #5materthegreater2026-08-07 21:43

    What machine were you running them on and how many hours did you get out of a set?

  6. #6materthegreater2026-08-07 21:43

    What were the results?

  7. #7materthegreater2026-08-07 21:45

    What sort of use does your machine get?

  8. #8jbernielh2026-08-07 21:47

    I got 1200 to 1400 hours on a cat 304C CR dirt, bare rock, fractured rock and steep slopes the original bridgestones were trashed by 900 hours

  9. #9CM19952026-08-07 21:55

    Got about 500 hours out of them. Bobcat T250. Got almost 2000 hours out of Bridgestones on a 279D. Same conditions - dirt, asphalt, rock, demo, etc.

  10. #10materthegreater2026-08-07 22:03

    What type of failure did each have that prompted replacement?

  11. #11CM19952026-08-07 22:05

    Broken cords that resulted in one of the T-bones out of line for lack of a better term. Learned early on if one of the T-bones starts protruding out the track is toast - just a matter a time until failure. Have not had that issue with Bridgestones - they just wear out to the point they're slick.

  12. #12CM19952026-08-08 10:19

    Also add we are getting 2,000 hours out of a set of Bridgestone tracks on our 279D's. We use these CTL's as utility machines on dirt, rock, concrete, asphalt etc. Never got that many hours with an aftermarket set even when we started changing sprocket segments with tracks. Had a couple of real pre-mature failures in the early days not knowing the sprockets needed to be changed along with a new set of tracks. My first track machine was a 2001 T190 I bought new. Unless the next set of Bridgestone tracks are complete pieces of **** I'll never buy another brand.

  13. #13KenMac2026-08-08 12:35

    My machine has operated mostly in wooded areas, but has been tracked on asphalt for about a quarter mile.

  14. #14Welder Dave2026-08-08 15:33

    Sounds like Bridgestone is your best bet.

  15. #15Acoals2026-08-08 19:55

    Same here. Do you put new sprockets on old tracks? My current set of tracks are still in pretty good shape, but the sprockets are getting worn down pretty good. It seems like once the sprockets get to a certain point it really starts accelerating the wear.

  16. #16CM19952026-08-08 19:59

    No. Normally when the sprockets are toast the tracks are close to slick as well so might as well replace both. It's such a PITA to R&R tracks might as well do it all at the same time. I try to schedule this at the end of the year when the dealer is running a special and we need a tax deduction. Sometimes we'll buy the tracks and sprockets the following tax year then put them on the following year.

  17. #17materthegreater2026-08-09 06:39

    The "spiral" cord design by Bridgestone looks interesting:

  18. #18CM19952026-08-09 15:15

    The problem we've had is where the cords overlap they come "un-bonded" from each other causing a T-bone to protrude which is basically a lump in the track. When that happens just run it till it breaks and have a set on order. Thankfully do not have to deal with that anymore. We can plan replacement with the Bridgestones.

  19. #19materthegreater2026-08-10 12:28

    Just got a quote from the dealer. $2485 ea for the tracks and $1065 ea for sprockets. Supposedly the OEM tracks are DRB. I haven't heard of that brand before.

  20. #20Welder Dave2026-08-10 19:54

    That sounds expensive for sprockets.

  21. #21materthegreater2026-08-11 07:39

    How critical is it to replace the sprockets with the tracks? These aren't worn to a point; they do have a little deformation, but I can grind them smooth when I install the new tracks. At over a grand each I'd like to think I could stretch them a little longer.

  22. #22HarleyHappy2026-08-11 10:07

    I have always replaced the sprockets, with the tracks but if money were tight and the sprockets looked okay, I might give it a shot. I would reverse them if possible. What you can’t see and really measure, is the deepness of the arch before the tooth. Forgive the English but I am kids brain dead this am. The depth of the bottom of each tooth, will be worn, with a slightly different pitch than the new pin on the tracks, especially going forward. Thats why if they could be reversed, it would work better. The rule though, is always replace together.

  23. #23CM19952026-08-11 10:12

    I would change the sprockets with the tracks. For the reasons Harley said -

  24. #24Welder Dave2026-08-11 16:29

    How many hours are on the original tracks? That would help decide it for me. If you got say 1500 hours that's pretty good. If you got only 800 wouldn't be very good. Then you need to compare price. If the OEM are significantly less money then Bridgestone the cost per hour may be cheaper but you'd be changing them again sooner. CTL tracks are cheaper than steel crawler tracks so paying a little more isn't as big a deal. On a steel track crawler there can be big price differences so you try and find a happy medium unless you're working in extreme conditions. Then you might want to go OEM. Don't see anyone complaining about the Bridgestone tracks though.

  25. #25materthegreater2026-08-13 06:12

    Funny, none of the salesmen I've talked to seemed to think it necessary. Maybe because they didn't have the sprockets for this machine. At this point I'm looking at a pair of Bridgestone Extreme Duty Rubber Tracks for $4200 or Midwest Equipment's TNT heavy duty rubber tracks for $3100. I've heard good things about Midwest equipment and their TNT tracks. At this point I'm leaning toward the TNT tracks and just rotating the sprockets. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I'd like to trade this for a newer machine in the next year or two.

  26. #26CM19952026-08-13 09:08

    Because they are in the business of selling tracks.. Seriously if they don't know this they are not very knowledgable in rubber track machines.

  27. #27Welder Dave2026-08-13 22:33

    I think with the expense of the tracks you wouldn't want to compromise their life using worn sprockets. Sprockets are a ridiculous price but not replacing them could be costlier due to faster wear on the new tracks.

  28. #28materthegreater2026-08-20 14:51

    So I just ordered from MWE (Midwest equipment). He sold me their own brand, TNT. The pair was about $1k less than Bridgestone and they have a 24 month warranty vs 1 year from Bridgestone. And said a second time that I don't need to replace the sprockets since they aren't worn to a point. Hopefully by the time the 2 year warranty is up I will have traded in this machine anyway. They should be here in a couple weeks.

  29. #29heymccall2026-08-20 16:36

    We're running KTSU tracks here. But, at my previous employer, I insisted on ITR tracks. Never had a Bridgestone clear the 1000 hour mark, on my TL150, SVL75, SVL75-2, and 864H machines. Many failed before the 700 hour mark. Excavators, on the other hand, could tack Bridgestones out to the 5k hour mark. On a skidsteer, if it were my money, would only run ITR tracks.

  30. #30CM19952026-08-20 18:27

    Interesting. I'll only buy Bridgestone for CTLs. They get slick before they break and easily get 2K hours of them which is way more than any other brand I've bought over the last 25 years.

  31. #31Shimmy12026-08-20 23:19

    A whole quarter of mile? I know for a fact my T770 sometimes gets several miles per day working on asphalt.

  32. #32gwhammy2026-08-21 07:53

    Might not make them for all machines but I've got steel rails with bolt on rubber pads. Almost indestructible. The rails have 6400 hours on them and just had a set of pads and it ran on concrete most of it's life and broken concrete a lot.

  33. #33gwhammy2026-08-21 07:56

    See if you can reverse them to wear on the other side of the tooth. They don't seem to have much wear on the other side.

  34. #34Welder Dave2026-08-21 16:56

    Yeah, 1320 feet in a day isn't very much.

  35. #35materthegreater2026-08-21 17:26

    That's the plan!

  36. #36CM19952026-08-21 17:52

    What size/type machine?

  37. #37Acoals2026-08-21 18:37

    I did that once. You will roach the tracks off in a few hundred hours.

  38. #38CM19952026-08-21 19:18

    ^^ Good advice... I would suggest following it.

  39. #39materthegreater2026-08-21 22:00

    Good thing they have a 2000 hour warranty.

  40. #40AMBMike2026-08-21 22:10

    Make sure to read the warranty exclusions... If it were a CTL I wouldn't put new tracks on old sprockets. Been there, done that. On a typical mini ex I would be comfortable reversing the old sprockets if they weren't very worn. I have no experience with the Mecalac.

  41. #41CM19952026-08-21 22:19

    Great advice. Mater see if the 2K hour warranty requires new sprockets at install in the fine print. I'd be interested in what is says.

  42. #42materthegreater2026-08-21 22:28

    I specifically asked the salesman two different times if I needed to replace the sprockets and he said only if the teeth are worn to a point. That being said, he didn't provide me with a copy of the warranty documents...

  43. #43materthegreater2026-08-21 22:50

    Also, it may only be 1500 hours I can't remember for sure except I know he said 24 months. I've put about 700 hours on the machine in the past 2 years so I'm sure I won't meet the hour limit anyway.

  44. #44Acoals2026-08-22 14:51

    The salesman told me I didn't need sprockets either

  45. #45CM19952026-08-22 16:08

    Like a real estate agent will say - "Nothing will ever be built behind the house you are looking at"..

  46. #46gwhammy2026-08-23 18:24

    tb290

  47. #47materthegreater2026-08-28 17:29

    We will see how they hold up

  48. #48CM19952026-08-28 18:29

    What do they define as "manufacturers defects"?

  49. #49materthegreater2026-08-28 20:04

    A good question that I hope to never have to ask them