Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What Should I be towing with?

macmax55 ยท 2014-02-18 22:30

Hello All, I have recently purchased a 2000 Cat 908 Loader. Love it so far, great machine and I got it for a deal. I have mostly using it around the town for now (clearing snow), but I were looking to expand my options what would I need to move it? It weights 13k which seemed really light to me. Could I get away with a newer 3500 dually (diesel) and a heavy trailer? The thing is also 9ft tall, and I was looking at a BigTex trailer which its deck was around 2.8ft off the ground, putting me around 12ft, so I don't think height would be a issue. It just seems like 3500 isn't enough to tow it. A local company has a similar model (908H) and tows it with a single axle Peterbuilt Dump truck. They would never be any crazy trips with it, always under 100 miles. Do you think I could get away with a set up like this? Thanks!

Replies3
  1. #1Old Doug2014-02-19 20:02

    I pull 14k with a 67 GMC 3/4 ton all the time. With 2 more tires you shouldnt have any problem.

  2. #2barklee2014-02-19 23:19

    I would think a pickup truck with duels and a goose neck would do the trick. I have a single axle kenworth dump and i pull a 14,500lb manlift with it, no problems at all so far. I usually use the semi but i have hauled it over 100 miles with it. I would definitely feel safer with the dump but if you already have the 3500 than maybe a fifth wheel and trailer would make more sense.

  3. #3Desertwheeler2014-02-20 00:12

    A 1 ton truck and gooseneck should do just fine, I have pulled a 210 John deere with my 3/4 ton. I wouldn't do long distance with it or anything. But it stopped and started ok.