All the teeth are welded on. I was thinking of maybe welding on some tips?
Need to assess the bucket as a whole before you spend any money on it. Are there any newer spec used buckets in good condition handy/ available to compare costs with? What material are you digging or going to dig in the future? Do you have a high wear rate on the teeth? It looks like there are old vertical pin teeth and someone has welded the teeth in; to retain them. You might cut out the front of the bucket and put in a new section and go to a newer pinned tooth system if the teeth wear rate is high.
Welding on some tips would definitely be the cheapest/easiest route. I'm guessing this machine is just for home/farm use... seeing it is an old deere Otherwise you could get new teeth to put/weld on the existing shanks but that in itself will cost many times what welding up the existing ones will... or like Plebian said, put a whole new edge on the bucket... but unless you're going to use it for a production/money maker there is no point.
I agree. If you plan to use it for production, look for newer used bucket in better condition as Plebian said. If it's for personal use, weld some teeth on and get to digging.
Cut that whole mess off of there and weld in a new cutting edge and shanks, that's not worth wasting time on. YMMV
I like this plan, the bucket was patched over and over. The material is unknown. Making a trail through a forest then digging trenches and pits. Probably gonna hit bedrock or come thing close to it
I have a similar thread going... HeavyEquipmentForums and only after remove the old teeth and shanks can you really look at the cutting edge. Howard
What is advantage of ditching type lip over teeth or vice versa? If I could, I would weld tips onto these for no wits quick and easy. If the tip had a square edge I would just weld it an fill it all around. After setting a fireinthembuckettompremheat it.
That bucket must have had a "DuPont overhaul" at some point to have the edge in that condition and still have yellow paint on the sides. Mike
I was experimenting with extending teeth to sort rocks from other soil. I welded on salvaged cutting edge from grader blades. It held up well, but I feel they were too long in my case, and other duties were too hard usage. I never had a weld failure, but over time, the several inch extensions I placed on the bottom parallel with the bottom of the bucket did break.. If you want a shortcut solution, try it. I suggest 1" thick AR400. The right fix is to remove the cutting edge, install a new one, and new shanks. I'd add 1 or two shanks. For preheat, get one of the big weed burner torches, and a 30 LB propane cylinder. Willie
I like this solution...but I would also suggest that before you start cutting into the bucket to see what it would take to remove the worn teeth and shanks, and see what of the cutting edge can be built up with rod and ground back into a rough contour. It is costing me about $25 per series 23 tooth and shank, and this is for a small 30" bucket. There really isn't a good, cheap, solution that will hold up over time and use. Howard
What size machine is this on?
Deere 693b. 38,000 pounds