This is my very first post in these forums. Hopefully this is the correct place to ask. I bought some land last March and I love it. It has the potentional to be exactly what I want, but it needs a lot of work. On the West side is a kind of drop off. It's basically a straight line. It probably runs 180 feet in length. The property line has about 4-5 feet from the property line to the face of the drop. Maybe a little more toward the back side. The drop off height varies.Theres a low dip in the middle. It really isn't much work at all. What I mean is, it seems like it wouldn't take long at all with a bull dozer or backhoe. What I want done is to grade the drop into a slope. Any dirt that gets shaved off the drop can be put in front of the face to add more surface for the slope. I just want the slope to extend out as little as possible while at the same time keeping the slope from being too steep. Then once there is a slope I want a ditch dug through it. I don't want to ditch right at the foot of the slope. I'd like it kind of in the base of the slope. That way there will be a hump that acts as a little dam to hold the water back if it ever needs to. (See this poor illustration to see what I mean. http://imgur.com/Ce6Woi5 ) The drop is on the west and right at the south is a ditch 2 ft from the face at a 90 degree angle. So cutting a ditch through the base of the slope would allow the two to connect. So basically water would come down the slope into that ditch which would flow into the south ditch. The thing is the drop has several stumps in it from trees I cut down and then large rocks in it. I'm just wondering what I should look for when hiring someone or whoever, how to get a good deal, and so on. I'm also curious on how long it's take and common prices. Obviously the best idea is to just have someone come out and look and quote the job. But I want to know what to look for first. What to ask for. For instance hauling off the rocks. (I assume the more equipment they need they higher the price.) If that's going to cost a lot more I'd rather they just leave them. I also want to know how to tell if I'm being qouted high. What should something like this cost and so on? Thanks.
If you are looking for a good price be prepared to be disappointed with the job. If you are looking for a fair price talk to a couple of contractors that specialize in dirt work and get quotes from them. Walk the project and talk about options and make sure you compare apples to apples when comparing prices. They may be able to bury the rocks with the right equipment and they can also advise you if you plan is sound. They have probably been there and done that. Good luck and keep us posted.
Yeah, I plan to talk to at least 3 people and have them come out and go over my options. I just wanted to know some information before hand. Whoever I hire will know more than me and can give me ideas and lay out the best plans. I understand all of that. That's the reason to hire someone. I'm more asking is it reasonable to think it can all be done with a dozer or will they need a back hoe. Is there a better piece of equipment and how long would something like this reasonably take so I can guage on the times they quote me and so on. More of things to look for so I don't get taken. Just advice going in really. Obviously I will pay what is fair. I'm pretty sensible, but this is all new to me after all. And to anyone else reading, I posted that it was about 180ft but honestly 15 - 20 of it wont need to be graded. So it's more realistically around 160 - 165.
How about a picture of the average drop off, and some of the stumps and rocks. It almost sounds like a skid steer could do it, which is cheaper than a dozer.
There's no way to give any kind of estimation based on the information provided. Call your 3+ contractors, tell them what you want to end up with, and ask them for proposals.
I'm really in the research phase right now. I really don't want to waste anyone's time. I want to get some information then I'll make some calls. No sense taking people away from actual paying jobs just to come out and answer a couple questions. I'd rather come up with a list and get some information first. Never hurts to do homework before hand. @Delmer, I'll get some pictures tomorrow it's been rainy and gloomy the past couple of days plus I've been working and haven't had a lot of time.
If you are going right up to the property line as your drawing shows you will have to work from one side only unless you have permission to landscape your neighbors property. Also any flooding, possibility of erosion of your moved material in future rains onto the next property should be looked at closely to avoid possible lawsuits and remediation. Experiance is your friend.
It doesn't have t be right up to the property line. But yeah it can be worked from my side easy. I'm not worried about the property next to me. See, my land gradually slopes down into a creek and then in the other side of the creek slopes up to the neighbor. Basically, any soot and whatever else is already being washed down my property into the creek. By making this slope and putting a ditch through it, the water gets directed to a certain area before going down the hill. It all flows the same and ends up in the same place. I'm just directing it around an area before it gets there. Other people are draining right across my property and I was to direct it is all. There is actually a black pvc pipe from the neighbor to the west that goes over a section of my place and then comes out and let's water drain right through my place down to the creek. I'm just trying to redirect this stuff around an area. So the spot and all that is going to the same place. No one has complained in all the years anyone is out there. I don't know why they would now. I'm not changing where the water ends and soot ends up. Just creating a detour.
I think someone experienced would be able to vision it in their mind when they looked at the property and don't feel bad about having a contractor(s) come out to assess the job and give an estimate and their suggestions. That's all part of the process and lets you know pretty quick who's interested in doing the job. The one thing you need to consider is that you can't change the natural drainage but can likely redirect it.
Thanks. Yeah all I want to do Is redirect it. I'm building in a spot and I want water to go around that spot. It's pretty reasonable I think. I mean it doesn't seem like it'd be hard. Everything is there. I just need a west ditch to go into my south ditch and I'm good. The black pvc I mentioned crosses right where the west ditch would be dug. So I could just dig up a small section of the pic and cut it so the water just drains into the the ditch. Sorry about no pictures yet. I snowed between 1am and 9 am and I couldn't get any good shots. I may have some that give an idea though. I'll look. Thanks everyone.
Here is an album with some pictures. http://imgur.com/a/VSVJz