Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What size and where to buy a thumb for case 680e backhoe

bigrich954rr · 2018-01-30 02:10

I brought a case 680e backhoe. I would like to add a static thumb for picking rocks and other big things up. I will install it What’s a good size one to buy ? Where a good place to buy from ?

Replies10
  1. #1thepumpguysc2018-01-30 05:40

    Try> e-backhoeparts.com good folks, Dale can/will lead you in the right direction.. givum a call. They'll even sell ya a used one if they have it.. Tellum> the pump guy sent ya..

  2. #2Tinkerer2018-01-30 07:47

    I just took delivery on one for my 680CK. EBay - Titan Industries. $169.00 shipping included. Made from 1/2 inch steel plate and painted. Very high quality. I purchased a 32 inch one. There are detailed instructions on the EBay listings as to how to measure the bucket for the size you need.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2018-01-30 07:57

    I WAS GONNA suggest that one too.. BUT.. theres has been some "breakage issues" w. that one. There is a thread about it somewhere.. the guy ended up welding it on..

  4. #4joe--h2018-01-30 13:23

    Titan Industries I bought one, 36". Built like a brick shithouse. Free shipping, FedEx guy hated it. Joe H

  5. #5Tinkerer2018-01-30 13:51

    The fedEx guy that delivered mine was only about 5 feet tall ! He had all he could do to get it to the top of the steps in the delivery van. He just stood there like a wounded puppy. I asked if he needed help he said - sure. I told him to step back n give me room. I flipped it right onto my concrete driveway. He about sh** ! Then I told him what it was. The thumb I bought is designed to be welded on. I think with a good welding job the bucket would break before the thumb did.

  6. #6bigrich954rr2018-01-30 19:21

    Ok thank guys I will be checking them out for the price I don’t think you can beat it

  7. #7bigrich954rr2018-01-31 02:06

    How long are th Titan thumb last are they bending or wearing out from not being a AR steel? Titan has a hydraulic thumb for only a little more would I be worth looking at getting one of a static one ?

  8. #8Tinkerer2018-01-31 07:12

    I have never read anywhere that anyone has bent one. I suppose if it were abused it may bend. The two jaws equal 1 inch of steel. I don't know that your 680 bucket could ever generate enough force to bend it. There have been several discussions on HEF about adding a hydraulic thumb. It doe's present some challenges in regards to plumbing it. I believe it can get expensive. I don't desire or feel that I have a need for a hydraulic one. It is fairly simple to pull a pin in the mechanical one and swing it up and re-pin it out of the way when digging.

  9. #9NH575E2018-01-31 21:00

    I also added the 36" Titan to my NH. No signs of bending or damage yet. I haven't used it on any rocks though. Mine came with a bracket to fold it into a stow position for $215 shipped. I wouldn't even consider the one without the extra bracket. You guys that are removing the thumb when not in use have way more gumption than I do.

  10. #10NH575E2018-01-31 22:51

    This is the one I purchased. Link Here is my install thread. HeavyEquipmentForums No regrets on my install method. It has worked better than I first thought it was going to.