Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What size excavator do you operate?

Canadian_digger ยท 2008-12-25 22:30

The title says it all. Just wonder what size excavator everyone is currently running? I am mostly on a PC120 komatsu and 334 bobcat and the odd time a 160clc Deere.

Replies30
  1. #1JTL2008-12-27 23:49

    We run a 5110B and two 385's for mass excavation. We have a slew of smaller hoes from a 307 to 330's to do the rest of the stuff with. Clean-up and ditching and slope work is usally accomplised with the smaller machines. Some have GPS, some have twist buckets. We seem to do more slope work with hoes than with with a dozer any more.Jason

  2. #2Canadian_digger2008-12-30 20:10

    No 330 operators out there? I thought there would be a bunch. I see quite a few of them around our area.

  3. #3tylermckee2008-12-30 20:34

    anywhere from 4 ton to a 450 size

  4. #4stock2008-12-30 20:38

    From 1.5t to 70t both long reach and short.

  5. #5JTL2008-12-30 23:01

    Heres one of our 330's on the job I did this summer.

  6. #6sandnsnow2008-12-30 23:53

    20-30 toners rule the market and it shows in the poll. Most companys in the pacific north west have 135-200 class excavators.

  7. #7KSSS2008-12-31 00:45

    I agree. I am seeing a few more guys buying into the 240 sized machines. My next will be a 210 most likely. The 160 long stick is nice, a little more weight would be even better.

  8. #8crowbar2008-12-31 14:32

    im from the uk but came to canada in the summer for some job interviews . i had a try out on a 385 cat but all your gonna see all day with that is the back end of rock trucks ! i got the job and am flying out in january but i prefer to drive somthing around the 20 ton mark (nice n quick versatile machine)

  9. #9AtlasRob2008-12-31 16:34

    Congratulations on getting a start crowbar. I remember your question and saw a later post that you were supposed to be going, well done, and well done to the member at the other end that helped you, sorry cant remember who it was and dont want to guess and be wrong but I remember reading the posts :drinkup but all your gonna see all day with that is the back end of rock trucks ! Oh yes, and the bigger the machine the bigger the ass end your looking at

  10. #10nzpatch2008-12-31 17:17

    down here in new zealand the 12ton and 20ton class diggers are used most. I have a cat 305ccr and 311cu , good diggers for my work.

  11. #11Iron Horse2008-12-31 18:51

    I like my 23 tonner but it's a pain to shift around . Most shifts cost me around $800 return . If i had my own bogie truck and tri axle float i would be up for $7000 a year in truck registration . If i had a 14 or 16 tonner i could have a single drive truck and tri axle float and only spend $2000 a year on registration but the machine may be too light . It's always catch 22 , i may rename my business "Catch 22" .

  12. #12Clayton M2009-01-01 19:44

    any where from volvo ec55b to hitatchi 1200

  13. #13JDOFMEMI2009-01-01 21:42

    I think the poll is a little misleading, as most of us on here run multiple machines, and we are only allowed one vote. I voted 65 to 85 ton class, as I run a pair of 375's, but also have a pair of 350's, and a pair of 330's with an old 235 thrown in for good measure. In my area, 20 to 30 tonners rule. 30 ton mostly, because it is as big as a conventional truck and trailer can haul.

  14. #14Squizzy246B2009-01-01 21:51

    The poll will let you have more than one selection but that will distort the % figures....I think. Currently we have 138.98% excavator useage.

  15. #15crowbar2009-01-02 16:02

    thanks atlas rob i gotta say im well looking foward to the new adventure. im also looking foward to checking out them canadian galls. we,re muckshifters not shirtlifters !

  16. #16Eddiebackblade2009-01-02 16:19

    Best of Luck to you Crowbar:thumbsup I'm going over to Whistler at the end of Jan for my annual 2 week Canadian Skiing Fix. I always dream of staying on for a year or two over there to Operate some kit. Can I ask what region you are going to?

  17. #17crowbar2009-01-03 10:37

    sure eddie im heading to calgary . theres loads of work and your only an hours drive from the rockies. its just beautiful as you know. i went out in the summer and had three try outs with three companys and got offered three jobs !

  18. #18AtlasRob2009-01-03 14:08

    Thats a pretty darn good success rate I dont expect or want you to name companies or salary on here but I am intrested in what made you go with the choice you made, if you dont mind.

  19. #19EZ TRBO2009-01-04 06:57

    I run a PC220LC-6 machine daily and we have a CAT 312 as well for some small projects. Looking to move up to a 300 sometime soon, least that is what the boss man said, sounds good to me. Trbo

  20. #20dozert82009-01-04 09:02

    I run a 400hd for creamer out of jersey currently 33ft deep going to be doing 72" jack and bore also have a 228 for the little stuff

  21. #21AtlasRob2009-01-04 13:33

    I hope your going to show us some pics :drinkup

  22. #22NL1CAT2009-01-05 11:11

    A 322M D and 385B/C

  23. #23Abirmit2009-01-07 21:45

    Kubota KX75UR I bought a 1996 Kubota KX75UR year ago to pickup the leftovers on my 20 acres from Hurricaine Katrina in 2005. Turns out to be a 1996 Hitachi EX75UR-3 with a paint job. It's been perfect for moving the trees to a burn pile and installing a ne drain field for my septic system.

  24. #24kiwi2010-04-04 18:12

    for me its ex200 ex400 ex700.

  25. #25youngoperator2010-04-06 21:08

    mostly operate 250 hyundia or a 215 newholland

  26. #26EGS2010-04-06 21:35

    I have been running a 385 loading 740's. I guess this year I am going to be clearing, grubbing and house demo's with one of our 354D's. We have 4-385's 4-345D's 2-330D's

  27. #27mitch5042010-04-07 00:41

    I have a cat 215c lc 44,800 pounds do demo, cleanup, scrap handling, and once or twice a year I dig

  28. #28expatracer2010-04-07 01:18

    08 JD 350 quick change and self greasing would'nt trade unless you want to trade for a 385 LOL

  29. #29lynchy2010-04-08 07:42

    mini digger upto pc210 these days,usually mini diggers,and dumpers!on station platform work,better/easier money than loading quarry trucks!

  30. #30cjplanthire2011-08-01 17:11

    Im a contractor and I run a fleet 1 _ 100 ton hitachi, had cat got rid wayyyyyyyyy over rated