I'm confused on what size trailer I need to haul an 18,000 lb dozer. I'm thinking a 20 +5 trailer with dual tandem axles, but I'm not sure which size axles. I'd like to stay under the CDL requirements (TX). I'm confused since my husband (who knows much more about this than I do) is telling me that a dual tandem with 10,000# axles would be fine since part of the load is supported by the truck. The couple of trailer dealerships I've talked with say I need a bigger (axle) trailer. My husband doesn't have the time to shop for a trailer, so I'm left to figure this out and find a suitable trailer. If some of you guys could share your experience with this that would be great!
The minimum would be a 10 ton trailer.Just make sure that the load to be carried is rated at 10 ton,NOT10 ton,inclusive of empty trailer weight.I have a 7 ton dozer and a 9.5 ton backhoe and that's what I run.Your hubby is right,app.15% of the weight of the load should be on the hitch.
You would be safe with 12K axles, you would probably be right at the limit of the trailer given the weight of the trailer.
Couple of questions first- What are you going to pull it with? How often will you be moving the dozer? How far of a distance will your average move be? If you have an 18K lb dozer you will need a CDL pulling a 20K lb trailer. Gross combine weight rating (GCWR) which means the total weight of your truck, trailer and rated payload of both vehicles. GCWR of more than 26K lbs requires a class A CDL with or without air brake endorsement depending on the braking system of the truck and trailer. With a 20K trailer that only leaves you 6K for the trucks GVW to stay under the CDL requirements, which would put you pulling this trailer with one of those Japanese mini trucks - not good.. This CDL topic has been discussed numerous times on the forum, do a quick search, it will fill you in on probably more than you care to know. Truckie's right, look for the load rating of the trailer. Some trailer manufacturer's will label their 20K pound trailers including the weight of the trailer, which you have to subtract out to get the payload. Other's will label their 20K as being able to carry 20K lbs. The latter would be a higher GVW for the trailer (20K lb payload plus weight of trailer).
I like to add a 20% cushin when looking at trailers I dont like to max them out they want last . Hudson bros. in NC builds a good trailer and they rate it at what it can haul with trailer weight add in. Trail King In Mitchell SD builds the top of the line I know there a lot of money but its a logtime investment and will last you a lifetime if taken care of it.
We've decided to just let our friend haul the dozer. He has an 18 wheeler to haul it. Then after a year we'll decide if that works for us or if we want to buy a new truck and trailer to haul the dozer.
The solution is very simple. Take the trailer manufacturers GVW rating then deduct the operating weight of your machine, then deduct the empty weight of the trailer. The sum will reflect your "over-and-above" safety factor in pounds (Trailer manufacturers typically allow for 12%). If your sum is a negative number then select the next larger size trailer and start over. This rule of thumb is inclusive of tire, axle and suspension capacities. Generally, any tongue-pull trailer with a 15,000 lb. GVWR or above will have a lunette hitch.