Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What Skid Steer Should i Get?

firecatf7333 ยท 2011-10-25 19:14

I'm looking at getting a Skid Steer, would prefer Track but could use a wheel- Help me pick heres my info Uses: -main use-Loading Firewood into my dump trailer-6-8Ft from ground idk, so lift height is nice -Small grading, earthwork stuff/landscaping work-(Right now i advertise on craigslist using my dads Bobcat MT55(mini skid steer) and do small jobs like auger holes, moving dirt, small grading. I would prolly do the same maybe just get into slightly bigger jobs but i don't plan on doing this for a living-more of a side job thing - Eventually i'm buying land and building own house so any light clearing, driveway, etc i'll do myself, also will start a small sheep or beef farm and use skid steer to move hay in winter/summer and general farm use I'd like to stay $10k or under but if the deal was right could spend a little more. i'd prefer a small to mid size track loader- ASV rc50- i'm scared i'm going to spend alot to replace under carriage Bobcat t190- a little on the big side of what i need but already own a MT55 and have seen many older t190s for sale takeuchi TL26 or 120- I've seen some old 26's for under 10k and i've heard they are bullet proof. Any other skid steers that are older but reliable and in my price range? Do you think i need a track machine? Loading wood will be in winter and moving hay bales will evenutally be in winter in upstate NY and it gets wet and muddy. Also if i could get more "earthwork" i would advertise for it with a bigger machine but right now i do everything "under the table" and didn't plan on getting big or getting a DBA right away thanks for help

Replies33
  1. #1KSSS2011-10-25 22:13

    I would try and find an 1845C with a cab. The TL26's were not as strong or as bullet proof as the newer models. I would try to get along with wheels at least until you get your operation off the ground. While they are more productive in a lot of circumstances they are also more money to keep running. That works if your making money not so good if your not which can easily happen when your buying a used track machine of any make and trying to get a business established.

  2. #2dave esterns2011-10-25 23:26

    the way people tout the 1845c, its a wonder you can get one for less than 10k. i was asking the dealer about the new case machines, and his first comment was (paraphrase) "well cases are awesome i got a guy with 15000 hours on his 1845c no problems at all" - i did not understand the significance of that comment but... i would consider bobcats 763, 773, 175, 185.

  3. #3KSSS2011-10-26 01:31

    You would have to look to find a good well taken care of 1845C for under 10K, you can certainly find well worn models for under that money. I doubt you would get a S185 for under 10K.

  4. #4CM19952011-10-26 07:07

    I would stay away from the ASV (for the reasons you mentioned) and stay away from the T190. I am a Bobcat guy and the happiest moment in my Bobcat life was seeing that machine leave on the dealers truck when I traded it in. The T190 was weak, unbalanced, very loud inside the cab and had hyd issues. The boom and bucket functions would bog down while operating, you would have to pause and move the pedals slightly for the machines hyd to start functioning again. Dealer could never fix the problem after several attempts. The 1845 Case has a good history. I would also look at the Bobcat 743 and 843 models, tough as nails. You should be able to find a decent unit for $10K, although it will require some searching. Take a look at the online equipment auctions to get an idea of what skids are going for. Ditto on what KSS said about track machines - for what you are doing, I would go with wheels. You can always put a set of metal tracks on if you need them.

  5. #5firecatf73332011-10-26 09:39

    reply How much does it cost to put tracks on a wheel machine, and i'm not talking about the expensive way to do it, just throwing some tracks over your wheels? What about the takeuchi tl26, or tl130 since theres alot out there? I've read on here where guys said they were a great machine. Can a track machine go through alot more than a wheeled machine?

  6. #6JCBiron2011-10-26 12:32

    I would agree with this as well, although like KSSS mentioned, you may be hard pressed to find a nice 1845C with decent hours for under 10K. Most tend to be in that 12-15 neighborhood if they are nice. One other option, and equally bulletproof (in my opinion), are the 1840's. Smaller, yes, but very nimble, strong machines for their size, and I doubt going from a walk behind skid you would notice the size drop from an 1845....Plus, better chance of finding a nice one for 10K. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

  7. #7Digdeep2011-10-26 12:52

    I was a Bobcat guy too...sold them for over 8 years and still own an S220. I also own an ASV RC50 and it's a far more capable and durable machine than most would have you believe. I don't think they're that expensive to run either...Terex retails the entire undercarriage (set of tracks, two fully assembled sprockets and all 24 wheels) for $5,600.00...if you replaced everything every 1,000 hours it would cost you around $5.60 an hour on the undercarriage. Do not buy an TL26 or TL126. My Bobcat dealership used to sell them before the 864 came out and they had lots of problems. their new machines are much better, but well outside of $10k. I still that if your limit is $10k you'd be better off buying a skid steer, such as an 1845 (good machines). You can get one that would work for your limited workload. Good luck.

  8. #8firecatf73332011-10-26 15:15

    It sounds like i should lean towards a wheeled machine. Is there much of a difference between the 1840 and 1845c?

  9. #9firecatf73332011-10-26 18:25

    Also, if i went with a 1840, 1845c, or similar bobcat, what kind of work could i do with it? I don't want to do any type of hardscapes, more of the earthmoving work but idk if these machines are capble of that. I wouldn't mind putting in lawns with a rockhound if that were possible, grading/leveling, french drains/tiles, things of this nature. right now i only advertise of craigslist and do all my work under the table

  10. #10Digging It Inc2011-10-26 19:42

    an 1845c and an 1840 theres not too much difference besides the size and lifting capacities. If I remember its all basically the same engine and hydraulic pump wise its just that the size of the machine is smaller. I have an 1845c and love that dam thing couldnt be happier. Easy to operate and can do most jobs I ask it to do, granted I know most of its capabilities. Weighs in at 6000lbs give or take and can move pallets that are loaded to 3100lbs and possibly a little bigger as long as you take your time and are slow. I'm not saying it can move major mountains or anything but brick pallets or piles of dirt and from what youve described I would suggest the 1845c.

  11. #11KSSS2011-10-26 20:40

    There is only 6 hp difference between the 1840 and 1845C (50 vs 56). The ROC of the 1845 was about 1750 and the 1840 about 1500.

  12. #12CM19952011-10-26 21:22

    The last set of Grouser "over the tire tracks" I bought were in the $2800 range but this was back in '02 or '03. I don't know what the current price is. For years we ran OTT metal tracks on wheeled skids without any problems. When winter time rolled around, they went on and stayed on until spring. I have 2 sets laying around the weeds at the shop - one for an 843 and one for an 863.

  13. #13firecatf73332011-10-26 21:46

    6HP doesn't seem much of a difference to me. Do they have the same lifting height, as i will be lifting over a dump trailer? While searching, i've found the 1840 to be a little cheaper.

  14. #14firecatf73332011-10-27 10:19

    Here are a couple i've found on craigslist, do these seem like fair prices http://binghamton.craigslist.org/grd/2622970701.html- Injector pump was bad so dealer went through entire engine-around 100 hours on rebuild- 3000k hrs on machine- bottom line price 9k http://syracuse.craigslist.org/bfs/2668993001.html http://binghamton.craigslist.org/grd/2636930015.html

  15. #15CEwriter2011-10-27 18:14

    Poll: Who makes your favorite skid steer? Vote by clicking here. Four days into this weekly poll and the two CNH brands (Case and New Holland) combine to lead with almost 30% of votes. Vote now if you want in; I'll compile the results and post them in the morning. Hope you can participate Larry

  16. #16KSSS2011-10-27 19:54

    The 1845C had mech. self leveling. I am not sure what the difference was in dump height but I am sure the 1845C would lift higher. The 1845C ran on 12X16.5 and the 1840 on 10X16.5 You likely could put the 12's on the 1840.

  17. #17dave esterns2011-10-31 23:59

    http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8073921&

  18. #18dave esterns2011-11-01 00:01

    http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8069885&

  19. #19yanmarman2011-11-01 05:27

    How about a Newholland?I;ve had good luck with mine,something to think about.

  20. #20firecatf73332011-11-03 18:08

    I don't care if its case, new holland, bobcat, etc. How were the older bobcat s185s? Compare them to the case 1845C? This weekend i'm going to look at an older 1845c. The guy is 82 yrs old and doesn't know how many hrs are on it or what yr it is, he thinks its early 90s. he said bottom line price is $6500. What are some of the things i should look for? It sounds like it has just been sitting around. How can i tell if the cummins is in good shape or will need a rebuild. I know little about skid steers, can you do a compression check lol

  21. #21928G Boy2011-11-04 21:23

    that's funny I work for a contractor right now that gets 300 hours out of a set of tracks on their 257B, don't get me wrong I know the ASV undercarriage has it's place (working in topsoil and snow) but put it in rock or dry clay and kiss your boggy wheels and track lugs goodbye! My Bobcat S185 has over 6000 hours on it now and she runs like a top!

  22. #22Digdeep2011-11-04 21:50

    That 257 has the same undercarriage that my RC50 has and weights over a ton more. That has a huge impact. The dude in the seat does too. I've sold hndereds of S185s in my time...great durable machine and I'm sure you'll get many more hours out of it..but I've also seen guys run them into the ground in 1500 hours and at the same time have guys like you with 5k+ hours in them. I run my machine in more than topsoil and snow too.

  23. #23firecatf73332013-01-15 22:16

    Update on thread: I did buy a 95 Case 1845c and have been using it for about a year. 95% of my work is loading firewood. Sometimes my loading areas can get wet/muddy, so i've considered selling the case and looking for a track machine. The Case works fairly well, if ground is frozen or in summer its great. The only "problem" would be....the tires like too spin when trying to drive into the wood pile. I've loaded enough wood that i tilt the bucket just right and it works fine. I think a track machine would get more traction and not spin as much and drive into the pile better. I don't want metal tracks b/c i load the skid often on my dump trailer which has metal ramps. Do you think a track machine would be much better, and if so, which would you suggest for me? I only use my skid about 100 hrs/ year Never ran a track machine. I have seen replies about t190s being underpowered. Then i've asked some people who say they love them. Reliable is very important. Bobcat dealer has good support local. There is also a Case dealer local. I don't think CAT or TAK have dealers close by. I don't want a real heavy track machine or much bigger machine than the case

  24. #24cartzblown94z2013-01-15 22:43

    The asv ride nice and are good machines. For the work you want to do they would be ideal and long lasting but the prob is finding one in your price range that isn't trashed. I'd look for a tak tl130. , gehl ctl60 or mustang mtl16 track machine. They are all tak 130's just diff paint. I have a mustang mtl16 now and love it. It's a beast

  25. #25KSSS2013-01-16 00:34

    A lower cost option would be to put wider floatation tires on the 1845C. Normally I would suggest OTT but the 1845 really doesnt hold up to tracks well. I put a set of the15.5s on a 440 for a particularily nasty job and it is totally impressive what the machine can do in the mud with those tires on and the 440 weighs more than the 1845C.

  26. #26Construct'O2013-01-16 11:06

    Just put a set of tire chains on it for your short term siturations.

  27. #27firecatf73332013-01-16 22:30

    I dont want to put chains bc itd be a pain taking them off constantly. I load on dump trailer often. I load slabwood and there's lots of small pieces in the loading area. The tires just spin on these and i go no where. My overall situation really isn't a problem, but if i could upgrade for only a few thousand then why not. T190 Tak 130 Cats small track(247b?) Cases small track Rc60/ asv/ terex I'd like to pick up a t190 bc there all over and i can get one for around 12k. How do these machines compare since there all small track machines

  28. #28cartzblown94z2013-01-17 00:37

    Tl130 will crunch them all. Cost of ownership, power, capacity. You couldn't give me a t190 !!! I got my mtl16 for 12500. Heat n a/c machine 2k hours

  29. #29LWG2013-01-17 22:23

    If it's muddy, a track machine might work. My T-200 is perfect for grading and landscape work. This was my second machine, and I knew little about skidsteers. But I struck gold with this one. I got several hundred loads of wet clay that was almost impossible to work. The T-200 was perfect for the job, even though I was able to get that stuck several times. I've used it with a backhoe attachment, a rockhound, a landplane, a snow pusher and a stump grapple. It was the ideal machine for me. I work on very steep hills, and it handles them well. I couldn't be more pleased. It seems like the T-200 is a little better machine than the T-190, even though the latter is newer. You should be able to get one in your original price range.

  30. #30Joel592013-03-11 15:03

    firecatf7333, did you sell your case? I am in NY and am looking for one. Thanks.

  31. #31firecatf73332013-03-11 15:17

    Still have it, use it weekly for loading firewood

  32. #32Joel592013-03-11 17:25

    I'd like to talk to you about it. 716-489-0183. Joel

  33. #33AJN2013-04-05 18:08

    I would go with OTT or chains. We use both on our skidsteers and never had a problem loading onto our trailers, which have steel ramps.