Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

what the?

cuttin edge · 2025-05-10 11:15

what's with all the bots

Replies36
  1. #1MarshallPowerGen2025-05-10 11:26

    Spells, aids and ******, my man. Get with the times! Edit: I like how the fake money is the one to get bleeped out (for good reason).

  2. #2Nige2025-05-10 11:29

    Why not just click the report button and let the admins handle it.?

  3. #3MarshallPowerGen2025-05-10 11:33

    That's what I'm slowly doing at the moment, and posting between waiting times.

  4. #4Nige2025-05-10 11:36

    You only have to do it once if all the threads were created by the same user......... I think I saw 2 users in that long list of threads.

  5. #5cuttin edge2025-05-10 11:41

    I don't want yo be a narc. Actually I never noticed the report button

  6. #6MarshallPowerGen2025-05-10 11:42

    Thanks Nige, good to know. Here I am wasting my morning going through individual posts from the same account/bot.

  7. #7CM19952025-05-10 11:54

    Yep - Just click the report button and all the posts by that user will come up and we also have a way to find if they have an alias. Digger must have gotten the ones today because no new reported posts are showing.

  8. #8digger242j2025-05-10 13:02

    I got one earlier today the minute after it was posted. Nobody but me and the spammer ever saw it. Small satisfaction, but these days I'll take my victories anywhere I can find them. What you guys don't see is how many register and get caught in the spammer filter. We learned the hard way that they can't just be ignored or it really gums up the works. Each one has to be deleted individually, and they average about 50 a day.

  9. #9CM19952025-05-10 13:11

    No doubt the spam filter has been great. Yeah not cleaning the spam filter is like leaving the trash in the kitchen for a month...

  10. #10digger242j2025-05-10 13:22

    Yeah, we learned that the hard way too...

  11. #11BC Placer gold2025-05-10 13:39

    Good work guys! Appreciate all the work you do. All these scams are getting pretty ridiculous. Do they believe anyone reads their nonsense? I guess based on 'volume' they must have some success occasionally...

  12. #1292U 34062025-05-10 14:30

    There any way to flag key words these clowns use? Or have more stringent membership requirements? Such as an admin or mod review for new accounts? Or only allow a new user one or 2 posts and hold them for review before they appear on the site?

  13. #13Wastepro2025-05-10 14:52

    The rock climbing forum I like to use has post limits for new users. However they deal with spam and bot issues as well. Where did all the decency go? Let’s bring back some.

  14. #14cuttin edge2025-05-10 15:02

    As a non tech savvy person. What is the point of them. YouTube is full of them in the comments

  15. #15digger242j2025-05-10 15:34

    You'll notice some of them have "***********" because we've censored some of the key words they all contain. It hasn't helped much. Obviously they haven't bothered to figure out that it's a waste of their own time. As I mentioned above, there's a spammer filter that compares new registrations to a database, looking for things like IPs that are associated with known spammers, or email addresses on a blacklist. You guys never see those, because they never get to the stage where they're allowed to post anything. The ones that you are seeing, typically, are only posting one time, and are "clean" so to speak, as far as the stuff that the filter catches. Whether they'd come back and do it again in a day or two, we won't know, because the spam cleaner button deletes the post and bans the spammer with one touch. Years ago, we had a "probationary member" status, where a new member had to have, IIRC, five posts before they could start a thread. That was really inconvenient for guys that had real problems and hoped for real answers in a timely fashion, and it wasn't really effective because the spammers would just post in an existing thread. Actually, it was counterproductive, in that in its own new thread, spam sticks out like a sore thumb, and if we see it, we can deal with it even before somebody reports it.

  16. #16Bootheal2025-05-10 22:38

    Spam filter must be about the four micron size and replaced regularly!

  17. #17td14steve2025-05-11 07:58

    We all appreciate what you moderators do,Alot of behind the scenes work. Thanks Steve

  18. #18CM19952025-05-12 19:35

    Thanks. There were 39 the spam filter caught this afternoon.

  19. #19aighead2025-05-14 06:46

    I agree that you guys do really well with an annoying job. Years ago I created a forum that had literally 5 members and only 1 and a half active users. I spent so much time chasing down and deleting bots and spammers that, beyond no one using the forum, it wasn't worth the effort to keep it alive. I hope new technology like the filter helps a lot. Forums are one of the best parts of the internet and it sucks to have to deal with "people" trying to ruin it.

  20. #20.RC.2025-05-14 07:54

    They must have finally run out of nigerian princes.

  21. #21CM19952025-05-14 10:14

    Deleted 39 yesterday and 21 today the spam filter caught. Constant barrage.

  22. #22Coaldust2025-05-14 13:00

    Again, thanks to our Admins for keeping this place going.

  23. #23Dodgeboy062025-05-23 14:23

    I'll add in my thanks to the mods for keeping this site respectful and clear of the nonsense of the spam garbage

  24. #24CM19952025-05-23 15:53

    Think I deleted around 25-30 today alone.

  25. #25CM19952025-05-30 10:53

    The last couple of days I have deleted on average 40-50 a day. It's relentless.

  26. #26CM19952025-05-30 19:21

    Got another 21 just now when I logged on.

  27. #27HATCHEQUIP2025-05-30 19:47

    Spam filter,,,,Litter box You fellows do a great job!!!

  28. #28Nige2025-05-30 20:05

    Litter box.? I didn't know we had a depot cat.......!!

  29. #29CM19952025-05-31 11:45

    Around 30 this morning.

  30. #30HATCHEQUIP2025-06-11 14:52

    They both gotta be emptied--sooner is better than later

  31. #31CM19952025-06-11 18:52

    Without a doubt - don't let them stack up because bad things can happen. Since that post I'd wager I have deleted 150-200 of them. Not sure of the other Admin's totals.

  32. #32BC Placer gold2025-06-11 22:49

    Appreciate your work!

  33. #33BC Placer gold2025-06-11 22:59

    Grew up in the 1970/1980’s, never would have dreamed that such scammers would be possible. Biggest worry back then; Vacuum salesmen came to try and scam my grandparents with an overpriced vacuum cleaner! Said to my grandma: yours is better! Felt good, saved her $2500!

  34. #3492U 34062025-06-11 23:09

    I still can't believe people fall for this crap. I grew up WITH the internet and it was drilled into us don't use your real name, don't post your address, don't give random strangers online your info and don't click on random emails or links. Seems like somewhere along the way it was all forgotten.

  35. #35aighead2025-06-12 06:41

    @BC Placer gold - I took the training and worked for one day as one of those vacuum salesmen, turns out they'd take way, way less for their $2500 vacuum. I don't remember exactly but I think they'd come down to 700-800 bucks, and that was just what they told us they'd come down to. My guess is that if you called in and said you had someone that'd pay you 500 they'd take it.

  36. #36CM19952025-06-12 09:07

    29 this morning.