Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What to buy, EX60 or JD70D

DumontT ยท 2018-12-29 19:03

Im looking to buy an excavator to start a fencing business with and do general work around my farm. I have worked for a local guy who fenced with a EX60(unsure of model) and it has made him nothing but money. I am looking at a couple EX60s and a 1991 JD70D. I know abit about the 60s but have no back ground with a 70D. The machine in question is a 1991 with front blade, 3 buckets, 8000hrs with the U/C done at 6000hrs, minimal leaks and works as it should. It has lived on the guys acreage mostly. Is there anything to know about them? Good and bad points? I am a heavy duty mechanic by trade so I can handle most problems but prefer less electronics. Thank you Tim

Replies6
  1. #1Orlando2018-12-30 04:11

    8000hrs is not that many for a machine of that age, sounds pretty good may be worth getting if the price is right!

  2. #2uffex2018-12-30 05:05

    Good day Apart from giving the machine a thorough inspection attached is a document with some advice, if you need a inspection protocol its free on the web site. Kind regards Uffex

  3. #3DumontT2018-12-30 10:40

    Orlando, its 20k. Just wanting to here about a ex60. Thanks Uffex

  4. #4Tags2018-12-30 18:39

    A 70 and ex60 are pretty much the same machines except I believe the Deere will have a Deere motor in it. If you look at ex60s chances are most will be grey market machines, some dealers care, some don't, if you get serious about one grab a serial # and call some dealers to see about parts. In my opinion they are both good machines. I wouldn't hesitate to look at a Kobelco70SR either, they are solid units.

  5. #5DumontT2018-12-30 19:11

    Tags, Ya from my research on ricthie bros, the 70 has a few more horses and is abit heavier but ya, pretty close. I didnt know most ex60s are grey market, I thought it was just a chance. I havent heard of a dealer in BC that will deal in parts for a grey market machines. I would look at a kobelco but there are not any around. Thanks for the info

  6. #6Vetech632019-04-30 06:59

    LMAO ^^^^^^^