Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What to look at on a used Cat 963

Nosoup4u ยท 2015-02-23 15:11

Probably going to look at a 1988 Cat 963. Price is right but it has 22k hours. Would be used mostly for fixing up farm fields and maybe cleaning out a few trees. What should I specifically look at and ask?

Replies6
  1. #1BCOWANWHEELS2015-02-23 20:41

    22k hours ? I wouldnt touch it.

  2. #2GregsHD2015-02-24 02:02

    Check for oil leaks, oil levels, strange noises, see what recent major work has been done and where, see if you can run it for a few hours then check it over again. definitely don't want a money pit which is probably what it is at 22k hrs... Unless someone already put the money into it.

  3. #3DMiller2015-02-24 05:28

    Been in the market off and on to replace my old Allis as it is a money pit, time consuming almost non-dependable machine. Have looked again off and on at local 955, 977, 963 and other machines with high hours many of which have had some refurb work already done as rails and engine work. I have as yet to put a nickel down to any as most were in need of other work where hard finals were noisy or notably leaking, hard function controls were sloppy or failed to perform, electronic controls were iffy or threw alarms, hydro components were coming to point of failure noted by getting weak when heated from extended work all of which is bigger bucks and more time down trying to diagnose than my old worn slick machine that throws rails. Almost all of these tractors were advertised "work ready" and had the infamous paint job overhaul to which I now turn my back to almost immediately.

  4. #4Bob/Ont2015-02-24 14:49

    It's a great machine but repairs will eat you alive at those hours. Later Bob

  5. #5Nitelite2015-02-24 18:49

    Aw Miller, your old Allis is probably about like my old Cat. If it would have been in better condition when I bought it, then I couldn't have afforded to own it. Now that I do own it I have no problem trying to figure out what to do with any extra time that I might have, but an't it fun!

  6. #6DMiller2015-02-24 21:23

    Actually keeps my attention span under control!! No time to chase skirts unless they are on pistons! Old gal has kept me busy but has done well for the money I have in it, just a lot of lost time.