I've got a 955 K, 85J serial prefix. The clutches on the left side went out, and the brakes are pretty thin also. I've got a mannual, and parts mannual, but it doesn't specify how many plates, steels and friction, make up the clutch assembly. I'd like to know how many I need to order before I start tearing it down, so it won't be open for very long during the repair process.
Just to get the correct parts illustration is your machine S/N below 85J4671 or between 85J4672 & 6246..? The steering clutches use 13 x 4K-1317 Disc and 14 x 4K-1333 Disc As. per side. I don't know if you are aware of them but try www.offroadeq.com for very competitive Cat parts pricing for this type of machine.
Get it inside clean and dry to work. Take it apart first to see what all you need for parts. Need some pulling tools and cylinders to do it right. Replace the bearing retaining nuts and release bearings. Be sure to install the bearing right way around/marked thrust side. Also be sure to get the bevel gear back in on the right side of the pinion. Clean case out good and wash screen. Old brake band linings. Later Bob
Thanks Nige and Bob. Ser.# is 3095. As far as getting it inside, that's not going to happen. The best that can be done is to get it into a pole barn. That's why I wanted to have as many parts on hand as possible before I open it up. Apreciate the heads up on the bearings. I had overlooked that. I changed the filters and cleaned the screen about 2 hours before the clutches failed, hoping it might have been a low pressure issue causing the left side to slip, but no soap. Almost untetectable amount of metal, but lots of friction material in the filters. Going to put in new filters when it goes back together.
Broken up band lining in the screen will cause the pump to draw trans oil and put it into the steering case. Later Bob
So far, all the fluid levels have remained good. Slight loss of fluid from the bevel gear case because of a leaky seal. Winds up in the final drive on the right side. Very slow leak so far, but that could change.