Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What to look for in an Older Backhoe (580CK era)

MMH ยท 2011-12-17 07:40

I'm looking for an older backhoe, something from the 580CK era. Not that I have any affinity for old backhoes other than their lower cost. Seems like I can get a 580CK for $4K. Also finding some 580B & 530CK at that price point, but as soon as I look even for a 580C the price jumps up allot. I will be using the backhoe non-commercially around my property for for general excavation (moving a hill side back), 400' of 3'x5' french drain digging, clearing an area by a creek to make a small pond, etc. I know that these machine are approaching 40 years, but I am pretty good at fixing things. I am a little concerned about the lack of 4x4, as where I will be using it is very wet, or, will the backhoe enable me to get unstuck, but again, at the price I'm looking at, no 4x4. How do I check out one of these older backhoes? I do not have any backhoe experience, but do own a compact tractor w/ a loader (Kubota B9200). Are there any options that are desirable or that I should stay away from? I will be interested only in backhoes w/diesel engines, but what about transmission options? I expect that there will be leaks, and assume that some cylinders will have to be repacked. How difficult is this to do & how much in parts? Also, I hear that many of these machines have bad brakes - can I replace the brakes myself & how expensive (the loader on my tractor can lift about 1000 lbs.)? How do I check out the expensive stuff? For instance, the hydraulic pump, transmission/torque converter, etc. All in all, will this be a machine that will be able to get the job done, or, will I spend more time fixing than using? I don't have allot of money to spend so the low price ($4K) is a big motivator. However, if the machine breaks down, it's not like it will be stuck at a job site costing me money.

Replies2
  1. #1dwloop2011-12-17 09:59

    MMH, My 2c... Others may chime in. 1: In general good visible condition, decent tires, little or no welding done on the loader or hoe boom, gauges all there and original. Some surface rust on these older units can be expected since most sat out... OF course less is better, since when working on them the rust is a pain. Surface rust usually means rust in bolts, brakes, etc. Ask me how I know..... 2: Diesel and starts easily when outside temp is above 40'F, holds 30-40 PSI oil pressure (they do not have an oil pressure gauge factory so that has to be read with a temp), very little or no smoke at idle AFTER the engine is warmed up. 3: Shuttle should hold good pressure in forward and reverse and the unit should push very good in first gear. the higher gears the tractor should move, but will take a bit of throttle to get it going. The oil in the shuttle and gear grease in the trans-diff should be free of water, not milky!! I would not want a dry clutch unit, thats just me.... 4: Hydraulics should move with good power and have few leaks, major leaks that puddle in a few minutes are a issue but can be repaired. The hoe should be able to lift the rear of the tractor with ease, the loader should be able to lift the front with ease as well. The operation data on the 580B states the loader should lift 4000lbs to full height and the hoe will lift approximately 1500lbs with boom extended. Any jerks or stutters in the hydraulics indicate issues that need addressed to use the unit effectively... All that is in a perfect world... We are addressing units in the 30+ to 40+ years old range, with not knowing what yahoo has worked on them!! Ask me how I know. Just have to do the best you can and hopefully find one that someone was proud of and cared for. HTH Dave

  2. #2dwloop2011-12-17 11:02

    MMH Edit: Just saw the last questions... I replaced all the brake components on my 580B with new aftermarket for around $600. They are not power brakes but they do work when correct. It is a little work... I can tell you that a compact tractor is a toy compared to a B, C or D 580. They will an amazing amount of work, even if they are smaller and a little slower than the newer stuff. And for the money you cannot beat the value, most compact TLs you cannot touch for less than $10K for an off brand. Talk Kubota and its nuts. I have the mod three point hitch for my B as well, which makes it more versitile. HTH Dave