Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What type of oil to use for 580SK backhoe?

cmrsf1 ยท 2024-02-17 15:36

I'm about to change the oil on my 1992 Case 580SK backhoe. I have an old gallon bottle left from my mechanic that says DELO 400 API CH-4/SM. I bought 3 gallons of Rotella 5T SAE 15W-40 that says meets API service CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4 My manual says to use 10W-30 API CE, CD, CC/SG. The 10W30 shows a range of -25 to +25F. I mostly run this backhoe in temps above, say, 10 degrees F but it does get colder than that where I am and am now using it to plow snow. The majority of the time it gets run is during warmer temps. Temps could get colder than that. I ran this question through Chat GPT and it says some of the newer API specs are backward compatible but it's important to go with what the manufacturer states. What do you all run in yours?

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2024-02-17 16:39

    They are backwards compatible, but some will say you need zinc if you have flat cam tappets instead of rollers (not sure on that engine). If you're plugging it in to start below freezing, then the 15w40 is fine. It will crank easier with 10w30 if you're not plugging it in.

  2. #2IceHole2024-02-17 16:41

    I run 5w40 in everything.

  3. #3cmrsf12024-02-17 17:02

    Do you use a heater in the cooling system or one for the block? Good idea. Would certainly make the engine happy!

  4. #4Shimmy12024-02-17 18:12

    Why do people start multiple threads........

  5. #5cmrsf12024-02-17 23:48

    Shimmy1 If you are referring to me, I don't follow. I did a search on this and came up with nothing. When talking about what weight oil and temperature, we then talked about block or coolant heaters. If I'm doing this incorrectly, then please point out the error so I can better understand how to use this forum. Thanks!