Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What wheel base for a end dump trailer?

wheelman007 ยท 2014-05-12 14:02

Looking at getting a high side end dump. Just wondering what the shortest wheel base is good. Using a day cab pete seems like everyone I see is like 240" plus area.

Replies6
  1. #1clintm2014-05-12 21:14

    most of the half rounds are around 32' on the east coast but they will not bridge #80,000 pds on the interstate

  2. #2wheelman0072014-05-12 23:12

    Sorry I ment the tractor wheel base. I don't think my 210" lowboy truck will work not sure why. Every one I see has a longer wheel base for pulling end dump.

  3. #3gkenworth2014-05-12 23:24

    Why wouldn't it work? Way more maneuverable on tight jobsites.

  4. #4mitch5042014-05-12 23:34

    I pull them with 18? Ch Macks. Most dump trailers are rounded in the front corners, so I've never seen cab to fifthwheel clearance cause a problem. I used to be in the dump trucking business, but I sold them all 2 yrs ago, kept 5 different kinds of dump trailers, one dump truck, and two tractors. I never owned a tractor over 200" wheelbase, don't need the bridge length as long as we stay off the interstates and in SC.

  5. #5wheelman0072014-05-12 23:38

    I do need to meet the bridge law for 80k most of the westcoast trailers are 38'. I thought they might use longer wheel base tractors to make it more stable for dumping.

  6. #6mitch5042014-05-12 23:55

    Yeah, 38 or 39 is what most NC and Ga guys pull, and if you want to run on the interstates in SC. Longer tractors aren't more stable, because they turn over to the sides, not on there backs. We occasionally pulled 40' highside dumps for volume, or to run the interstates, they dumped fine with my tractors. Make sure you keep the tractor straight with the trailer if it is unlevel, particularly wth frame trailers, the articulation of the fifthwheel will get you if you turn too sharp to dump.