Hello, Just purchased a D6C with serial number 76A5356 (see picture). Trying to find parts but the CAT website doesn't like this serial number. 1. What engine? 2. Need specs on fluid types and amounts. 3. Filters? 4. Service manuals Also, what size are the belly pan bolts? Some are missing. thanks for any help!! Greg
Being a A series in the serial number, I would be 90% sure the D333 engine. (not the later D333C)
Is this a good engine?
Perfectly fine as far as I know. I thought the only crappy engine cat made back then was that overhead cam V8 abomination the D336.
yes 4.5" bore D333 engine. All parts come under the machine serial number 76A. They are old girls now, last 76A was 6061 in 1967 you will find all the books for it on E bay
I am betting SIS does not like your serial number because it needs to be entered in as 76A05356. Needs to be 8 digits, the 3 digit prefix followed by the 5 digit machine number
Date-wise, 76A production started in 1963 so I would imagine your Serial number is probably around 1966/67 time frame. @D6 Merv - Is that engine a D333A.? There is little or no information on your machine in the online system, even if you put the S/N in as 76A05356. I suggest that you will need both Parts & Service Manuals for it. Information below: - Parts Manual is Cat Publication reference UE035000 which covers all 76A machines up to S/N 6061. Here is a link to a used one on eBay . One thing to bear in mind is that the tractor Parts Manual will NOT cover the hydraulic system or the blade. In that era each of those had a separate manual. You will find the Serial Number of the Hydraulic Control on a plate fixed to the hydraulic tank. The plate on the blade probably disappeared years ago. I can't find a Publication reference for the Service Manual but here is a used one also on eBay . Both of the links are genuine factory manuals.
You need the Operation & Maintenance Manual. Search for SEBU6638. If you can't find a used copy for sale the manual can be downloaded from the Cat Pubs web site for $30.
Nice looking tractor!
Nige technically speaking ma cat only refered to certain industrial and marine engines as D333A ie 87B, and D333B ie 79B, both were 4.5" bore engines 525 cubes but i don,t know of any other differences. The D6B 44A was first vechular machine to come out with the new D333 in 1959. "I" always called them D333A engines, as were non turbo, though a turbo was available for altitude work.. The D6C 76A came out in 63 with turbocharged D333 engine, which "I" called D333B as its very different internally; different pistons, piston cooling jets, engine oil cooler; a head with valve inserts etc. The 10K series D6C came out late 67 with the totally new naturally aspirated 4.75" bore D333C. But was still refered to as a D6C. Technically D6C had 4 different engines over its production span. Long ago in a previous life i was a mechanic with the NZ Cat dealer Gough Gough and Hamer from mid 70s to late 80s; so did learn a few things about them. Even ended up with what Caterpillar of Australia called a 'service training passport'. Which got me jobs later in life in australia and papua new guinea. I even did a stint at McMurdo base in antartica on hire to uncle sam. Cheers
And the 3204 3208 3034 but those are different critters
We called the d336 shake and bakes
Seems I get to post this frequently. The only "B" series D333's were the 79Bxxxx Industrial and the 80B Marine engines. These were different in that they had gear drive water pumps for auxiliary use when the rest of the "A" engines had belt drive water pumps. The rest were all "A" engines, turbo or not
check out my sig my old 1968 621J with the four valve twin overhead cam V8.I'll tell you it loved fuel had a ton of torque I never had it stall she would just hunker down and blow black smoke
The only crappy thing on it would likely be the blade control lever and blade tilt? I'd like to be wrong.
NA 3204's aren't too bad of an engine because they aren't trying to push max. power. The 2 ring pistons aren't the best though.
Id agree if it where not for the lack of rings and wrist pin bushings failing. You know what gets me is why in smaller engines no one puts replacable liners 5.9 6.7 4bt well most all smaller engines
Ford used to claim it's cheaper to rebuild parent block engines in its tractors than a sleeved engines. I haven't heard of lots of problems in NA 3204's other than increased blow by.
Nice picture Pete but the early build motor that was way different to the engine built before the D333C with the larger bore and stroke that I would call the D333B Series, it might just be something the U.K. called the engine but the changes from the early A Series were extensive, going on further forward the D333C is so often called the 3306, well in the main they are so very similar but CAT love to mess with the lines on the old stuff, I have had Customers telling me what engine was in their Tractor and willing to bet the Farm on it, when I show them the correct detail of the engine they cannot understand how they could be wrong.
I certainly agree there were many progress changes to the "A" series engine but until I can find proof as in Cat literature I'm of the opinion all 4-1/2" bore engines are still "A" series with the exception of the 79B and 80B which are still 4-1/2 bore as listed in the Cat s/n index. Thanks for your response.