Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What year is my backhoe and where do I find a manual?

Ryan A · 2021-06-01 17:16

I bought an old Ford 4500 backhoe. I am changing the oil, hydraulic oil, etc... routine maintenance stuff. It looks like it hasn’t been done in a while... a long while. I don’t know if I need special or regular hydraulic fluid. I also need to know what else to do for routine maintenance... and where to find it on the tractor. I’m hoping the manual will also have a diagram of the hydraulic hoses and where they go. There are 4 levers plus the 2 for the stabilizers. Here are the numbers I found on the tractor, but I don’t know how to interpret them so I get the correct manuals. Found on a plate mounted to the hood of the tractor Tractor Number C375739 Model D5011K Unit 3D30B Found on the backhoe arm Serial number R II4799 Component 19-551 Thanks in advance!

Replies6
  1. #1Tinkerer2021-06-01 21:45

    Welcome to HEF, Ryan ! I shamelessly copied and edited this from another website for you. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- D5011K is the complex model number that identifies chassis size, generation and some components. Here's what D5011K means: D - 4000 series (201 engine, wet brakes) 5 - Heaviest industrial version - the model number on the decals would be 4500. 0 - first generation 1 - Diesel 1 - No PTO K - 6 X 4 Manual Trans. The 4500 was a very popular Loader Backhoe tractor with good reliability and durability. It actually outsold other brands of loader-backhoes until Case and later Cat took the lead.

  2. #2Ryan A2021-06-02 19:20

    Thank you, Tinkerer. Do you happen to know where to find the year codes so I can decipher the tractor code and find the year?

  3. #3Tinkerer2021-06-02 19:53

    Try here and let us know if it is what you needed. http://vintagetractorengineer.com/2009/01/ford-2000-3000-4000-5000-serial-numbers/

  4. #4Ryan A2021-06-02 20:54

    Is the serial number the same as the tractor number?

  5. #5Ryan A2021-06-02 20:55

    And will the same manual also include the backhoe attachment, or is there a separate manual? This is the info on the backhoe plate.

  6. #6Tinkerer2021-06-03 11:15

    It appears to be the top number. I don't know about the manuals. Locate some vendors and email them as to what their manuals cover.