I recently came across a 1978 case 680g backhoe that someone is looking to sell, I was wondering if anyone has experience with this backhoe or thinks it is a good value for the money. It has 8000 hours on it and runs good engine wise, it has an enclosed cab that is in decent shape. On the back it has the extended hoe. It needs new tires on the front, but the biggest issue is leaking hydraulic cylinders. The owner tells me that most of them need to be rebuilt because it sat for a while. It has some new hydraulic hoses, but needs some replaced. Just by turning the wheel when the machine was off fluid poured out of one of the lines that goes to the steering cylinder. I think I could get the machine for $4000 but before I did I wanted to get the opinion of you guys. I do not know much about the value of used backhoes. I was wondering if that would be a good deal considering the work I would need to put into it? Also if anyone has knowledge on this model or any possible problems let me know. I greatly appreciate the help. Thanks!!
4000 bucks?!! I paid 5000 for mine! 1983 Dynahoe 1900. Had to rebuild almost every cylinder and way to many other problems to list. I would buy that Case for $4000. But then again, looks like I would buy anything. As long as the major parts are good it looks like a good buy.
That sounds like a reasonable price. The bigger question is do you want a fixer upper backhoe? and do you know what you're getting into? Does it drive and operate the hydraulics like it should? Seals are cheap if you can do the work, but if the rods/cylinders are scored, and/or the pump is weak, then you'll be better off spending more money up front than rebuilding this and then having more money into it than it's worth.
If it runs well and moves back and forth with loader down . Id buy it