Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Whats BIGGER Galion T500A or 118B

Walleyewatchers ยท 2013-05-23 14:09

Looking to buy a grader dont have much money to get started.There are a couple I am looking at through Richie Bros. First there is a 1972Galion 118b in Sacramento, It looks good but no information on the engine type looks like a 6 cyl. it says starts and runs. any info would be good please and thank you. Second there is a 1972 Galion T500A In Kansas City no pics or info posted yet. Are these good machines can you find parts? I need help any would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Replies12
  1. #1RMXR2013-05-24 05:13

    The engine in the Galion looks like a Cummins NHC-4 (4 cylinder, 130 hp) that has had a turbo fitted.

  2. #2RMXR2013-05-24 17:34

    Sorry, I meant the 118.

  3. #3Walleyewatchers2013-05-24 17:38

    RMXR Thanks have you had any experience with this engine, or these machines?

  4. #4mitch5042013-05-24 17:52

    The T500 is bigger (I think). I have a 118b that has the NHC 6-cylinder Cummins. My service manual doesn't list a 4-cylinder Cummins option.The engine is very good, and the old Galions are too. Parts can be a challenge but they are out there. Galion is now serviced through Komatsu dealers. I am almost certain the 118b wasn't made in 1972. If it was made in 1972 it should be a 118c with the square cab and hood. The best bet with equipment is to go by the serial number.

  5. #5RMXR2013-05-24 18:38

    Yes, you may well be right Mitch. On closer inspection of the photos on the Richie Bros site, it is a 6. It's a 4 valve, so probably an 855 cu in NH the same as yours. Yours wouldn't be a turbo would it? I have had a small amount of experience with a 118C recently. It's fitted with the H743C-135 Cummins (743 cu in 6 cylinder, 2 valves per cylinder) that had liner erosion problems that let coolant into one cylinder. Engine parts appear to be getting harder to find, particularly for the 2-valve H series. The 4-valve NH should be easier to get parts for as they were much more common.

  6. #6mitch5042013-05-25 02:48

    RMXR, I misspoke. (or misstyped). I wish I could blame it on my big fingers and little keyboard, but, I guess it was just my brain-clutches slipping again. My 118b has an HC not an NHC. It's just like you described. I looked at that one on RB and I bet that's not the original engine. That's a funny looking b model, it has the rounded hood of a b, but a square cab like a c. Here's some pics and info on mine: !!

  7. #7Walleyewatchers2013-05-25 09:56

    Thanks guys all this helps here are some pictures . I am building some roads in a small subdivision in the mountains. I would rather buy than rent. By the pictures in RB the machine looks to be in good shape. I might have to go and see it,

  8. #8mitch5042013-05-25 23:30

    Yeah she sure looks worth the trip to put your paws on 'er. I like my 118b, big enough to do heavy grading, but much quicker and more maneuverable than my big A-W Super 366. (Course I've never tried prying out stumps w/ the 118:beatsme) Only weak spot I know of is the main shifter. Good Luck, Mitch

  9. #9denver m farms2013-05-26 09:28

    We have owned a 118 and a 74 model t500l, I like the t500 better, on the l models new they came with a Detroit or a IH engine, but ours has a IH tractor engine in it. I don't remember on the 118 but a t500 weighs right around 28k.

  10. #10Walleyewatchers2013-05-31 16:07

    Thanks all of you, I am going to give it a try if the price is right. I appreciate all of the feedback and help, you are all great and full of knowledge! Hope carma is good to you for the help. Ill find out if I get it on the 4TH. Good grading and may life smile on all of you.:salute

  11. #11powerjoke2013-05-31 19:27

    Send me a pm, I'm around KC area I don't mind looking at it for ya if I get time

  12. #12bigrus2013-09-01 03:02

    Another angle An articulating grader,T500A would be more productive and is more modern than the 118. T500A is the forerunner to the Dresser A450, both with IH 466 engines. The issue I found when I owner operated an older rigid style grader was the people who do the hiring usually aren't operators and look at how modern your plant is. The older rigid graders, in the right hands, can be just about as productive but the "slippery opposition contractors" will "white ant" you sprooking that they have a newer machine............! My Dresser has given me 15 years of faithful service, so that's my input. Good luck which ever way you go