Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

whats the difference?

Reuben ยท 2008-02-09 12:38

Whats the difference between ground bearing and non-ground bearing lowboys.

Replies10
  1. #1jrtraderny2008-02-10 17:28

    Groundbearing lowboys have a cylinder with a plate that contacts the ground to raise them up and down. Non-groundbearing have cylinders that raise and lower against the framework of the trailer. jr

  2. #2Reuben2008-02-10 22:14

    I thought that but I wasnt sure.thanks:drinkup

  3. #3wormkiller2008-02-11 10:55

    What advantage does a ground bearin trailer have? I've got some time on a ngb load-king and a little time with a witzco with the foot. I reall miss the non-ground bearing trailer, seemed to break down and re-hook easier and faster. Also can't hoist the neck to clear stuff with the witzco.

  4. #4dayexco2008-02-11 17:19

    here we call the ground bearing trailers, "cookie cutters" on a hot day if you try to unload on asphalt, you cut a cookie right outta the mat. or if it's a little wet, you can push the pad right into the mud. non ground bearing is the ONLY way to go as far as i'm concerned

  5. #5sparky2008-02-11 17:33

    You can gain a little ground clearance by putting a shimor 2 under the legs that sit on the deck of the trailer. I think I had a couple of pieces of 1" flat stock that I'd use in a pinch, but it's been 20yr since I pulled that trailer.

  6. #6Liquorsea2009-02-25 19:52

    what's everyone opinion on the best brand of lowboy? trail king, fontaine, rogers?

  7. #7bushcat2009-02-25 22:10

    Arnes

  8. #8Liquorsea2009-02-25 22:29

    any particular reason why arnes then any other. i never heard of an arnes

  9. #9bushcat2009-03-01 11:43

    Arnes are built in Canada and they are a good strong low bed.

  10. #10Wrench_one2009-06-13 22:39

    Arnes builds a fine trailor no doubt. I have to laugh about the witzco cookie cutter!!! AND my favorite trailer tail"" How many crib blocks do you have to shove in the ground with a witzco before you are able to pick up the 235 cat?""