Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Whats The Difference ?

Autocar ยท 2011-01-04 19:06

Between a screen and a sintered filter ?

Replies3
  1. #1motrack2011-01-04 20:29

    A sintered filter is made by fusing metal powder together and can not be cleaned like a screen type filter. Sintered metal achives a much finer "mesh" than you could with a wire screen.

  2. #2mitch5042011-01-04 21:41

    I agree a sintered metal filter is much finer, but they can be cleaned. The owner's manual to my 1977 international says to wash the sintered filter on the Hydro-vac brake booster in solvent, then water, then blow dry; once a year. It is common to see a hd transmission where the range shift cylinder shifts slowly, or not at all. There is a sintered brass filter on the air pressure regulator on the rear of the transmission. I usually wash it with brake cleaner or carb cleaner and blow backwards through it a few times, then rinse it.

  3. #3Autocar2011-01-05 20:26

    Thanks I gave up on the project again today and took it off the truck , I put another five hundred bucks taking it to a shop with know better results. Here a while back I had asked some questions about a Teleflex High Idel Govenor it idels up about 650 to 1350 rpm but as soon as you load the system it drops back to 500rpm. I told the shop I wanted it set at 1200 but the first time it went to 650 then later it went to 1350 but drops under load. It has a rebuild kit in it , Ive had enough of it for a while !