Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Aluminum Platform Body

nedly05 ยท 2011-01-02 11:17

Does anyone have a 3/4 ton set up with an aluminum platform body? the box on my truck is beat up in a couple spots and I am wondering if it's worth fixing it, or replacing the box with a platform. For my next truck I would like to go to a one ton set up this way. Any input,cost, good, bad? Thanks! the first pic is what I would like to do now (maybe) (photo from Commercial truck Success Blog) the second is how I would like my next truck. (photo from www.pedro.olx.com )

Replies10
  1. #1amscontr2011-01-04 03:34

    It all depends on what you want to spend and do with the truck? Is it a moneymaker or a playtoy? Ugly old trucks make the most bucks!

  2. #2nedly052011-01-04 05:04

    this is a work truck. Its the one we have our transfer tank, tool box, hand tools, and misc. stuff in. It also tows and plows. She's not too ugly, but not much of a playtoy either. I saw a steel flatbed for $1750 shipped, thats a hard price to beat I'd think. I'd like to know the weight difference between steel and aluminum.

  3. #3motrack2011-01-04 07:14

    I had one of the 1st Ford Diesels in 1983 and had Ravens trailer make a aluminum flat for it. It was about 2/3s the weight of a steel bed at the time and out lived 2 trucks I had it on. Its still working in southeastern Ohio mounted on the 4th truck I know of. There are a lot more choices today in aluminum beds than I had at the time. I would buy another one. A truck can be a moneymaker and still look good.

  4. #4jrtraderny2011-01-04 08:07

    There's a guy down here by me that fabs up aluminum ones but $1750 is gonna be real tough to beat. jr

  5. #5hvy 1ton2011-01-04 13:07

    I don't have one, but 90% of the Aluminum flatbeds are Hillsboro. http://www.hillsboroindustries.com/Products/AluminumTruckbeds.aspx .

  6. #6EGS2011-01-04 13:48

    Check Monroe Truck Equipment. They are good people to deal with and have good products. All of our plows for the trucks, tractors and loaders and the salters came from there and they always treated us right.

  7. #7nedly052011-01-05 05:02

    Thanks for the info guys! I like how the Hillsboro has the gooseneck hitch built in, thats a slick feature.

  8. #8hvy 1ton2011-01-05 14:23

    I meant to say 90% of the aluminum flatbeds in Kansas. You could say they have a lock on the market. I don't remember how much more the extruded flooring is, but it's awesome. They use the same stuff for enclosed trailer floors and I'm not sure it's correct, but somebody told me the planks were replaceable if they were damaged.

  9. #9vtcntrctr2011-01-05 19:35

    If you do want one, I suggest giving Lucky's a call, they seem to be the largest dealer of stuff of that sort around here.

  10. #10nedly052011-01-06 01:14

    I saw that on there website. They seem like a heck of a company!