Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Whats this control for on my kubota 3 ton

bryn ยท 2011-01-15 07:11

hi all,I have found a small control lever on the centre console underneath all the other main levers.You have to pull out a small compartment about the size of an ashtray to see it,it has 3 positions,does anyone know what it does.I cannot move the machine at the moment to try it out as I am still trying to find the cause of the left hand track running a lot slower than the right one.Thanks

Replies14
  1. #1roadrunner812011-01-15 11:22

    It probably changes the control pattern.

  2. #2joispoi2011-01-15 16:04

    It's the left track motor detent lever. The one for the right side is located under the seat.

  3. #3bryn2011-01-15 17:28

    thanks but I dont know what a control pattern is

  4. #4bryn2011-01-15 17:32

    thanks,what does it do?do you think its anything to do with the slow track?also I cant find anything else under the seat but will keep looking.

  5. #52stickbill2011-01-15 18:34

    Good one.Now do you use a Left or Right handed wrench to turn it?

  6. #6jagslynks2011-01-15 20:32

    Sorry to post it here guys, I cannot start a new thread until I reach my 3 reply count. All, We are the contracted undercarriage remanufacturers for Komatsu, BEML in India and SE Asia. We have been in business for almsot 25 years in India and are expanding our operations to serve the US and Canada markets. I'm looking to establish networks and see if we can help anyone out here with our expertise. We have worked on most models of John Deere, CAT, BEML and Komatsu. The latest one that we are proud of remanufacturing the undercarriage was the Komatsu D475. I Jags www.krausslynks.com

  7. #7a sinnott2011-01-17 18:17

    sounds like the control pattern.

  8. #8bryn2011-01-18 21:57

    you are the 2nd one to say that but I am a two way radio tech so I am not familiar with earthmoving jargon,can you explain it please?

  9. #9spitzair2011-01-18 22:08

    bryn, the control pattern is how your controls are set up. There are two different commonly used patterns, Cat or JD. On both control patterns, your left joystick controls the swing when moved left to right, and the right joystick dumps your bucket when moved to the right, and curls it in when you move it to the left. The difference is the fore and aft movement of the joysticks. On the Cat control pattern, when you move the left joystick forward, your dipper extends, and when you pull on it, it retracts. On the right control, pulling it back raises the main boom and shoving it forward lowers the boom. On the JD control pattern this is the opposite - The Right joystick extends the dipper when moved forward and pulls it in when you pull back. The Left lever raises the main boom when pulled and lowers it when pushed. Some guys have no problem switching between either control patterns but if you're like me it becomes problematic. If there are 2 or more guys who are used to running different control patterns you could have an issue, so somebody (obviously a lot smarter than me) came up with a control pattern switch so that Operator A who is used to Cat controls and Operator B who is used to JD controls can both use the machine using their preferred control pattern without having to re-plumb the hydraulic system. My Dad and I have this very issue, I'm used to the Cat pattern and he is used to the JD pattern, and when I bought my EX200 recently he insisted we install a control pattern switch so he could run it as well. Hope this helps. I'll see if I can find a diagram, or perhaps make one. On second edit, here's a picture of the control pattern changer I built for my EX200. I used 2 valves but most small machines have the whole unit in 1 valve. As you can see there's quite a bit of plumbing going in and out, and physically undoing all the hoses and moving them around and then doing them back up just to suit different operators would be very time consuming and expensive.

  10. #102stickbill2011-01-19 18:29

    A lot of the new back hoe and the front end loader back hoes come with this switch install from the factory.I think the older Cats you used a wrench to change it.

  11. #11bryn2011-01-20 18:39

    many thanks spitzair,thanks for taking the trouble to explain it,i will now be able to see which system its using or change it-bryn

  12. #12Komatsu 1502011-01-22 21:21

    There is a third pattern used in Japan which might explain the three position switch. In the Japanese pattern moving one lever forward and back controls swing or rotation., at least that's what I was told by a Japanese operator.

  13. #13spitzair2011-01-22 22:55

    My pleasure!

  14. #14bryn2011-01-23 07:12

    thanks komatsu 150 thats something else for me to check out as soon as I can-bryn