I'm changing the engine coolant in my 1988 JD 310c, and of course I can't just do a simple task as such with out it adding up to a lot more time and money. Can anybody educate me all about what is that white acid looking goup is inside the radiator? and why does it come to be? And what should I really do now with out making for a problem in doing so? I thought this white goup was only found in car radiators back in the 60's and 70's and it had gone away for good in todays cars? Guess not... In my hoe the engine coolant was still green, and 4 out of the 5 balls floated in the tester, things looked good, so it's obviously occurring from past neglect? So I never really learned all to know about this white acid.... Is this the same acid material that eats away at the cylinder wall linings? when I hear the good people on the forum prompting me about adding that coolant additive so I don't get that electrolyses sparking of the cylinder walls that eats away at it? I do have enough to do two flushings, maybe I should not be foolish and fill with new antifreeze, add a conditioner or what ever if there is such a product, run its cycle then flush and fill again with in the end having the radiator boiled clean? thats if this white acid really needs to come out being the machine is in great shape? I remember some or most antifreezes had that aggregate abrasive material mix in acting like a sand blaster keeping the inside clean, but I believe thats why parts like water pump seals would leak fairly quick after short amounts of time owning and operating the vehicle....... so I think its one or the other, leaks or white acid.... thats the way I've always looked at it... I believe I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway, So now what do I do, should I just run clean water thru it flushing it the best I can, then add coolant and forget it? Or do I look for a flushing additive that suppose to clean it up inside? I've learned when ever doing things like flushing with additives that it opens other doors for problems.... Is it that important I take it out, have the radiator boiled cleaned? and even doing this makes for a leak later on, I just don't believe in and trust workmanship these days, its always a bad experience for me, this is why I feel like just leaving it alone, it isn't what it use to be where the guy felt like he's done a great job, and takes pride that it never comes back into the shop... Oh well, any input is always appreciated, thanks....
I'm starting to think this may have been from oil sweating its way into the coolant system over a very long period of time by way of head gasket over many years and hours? Also, I need to see if there is a PCV valve type system set up, and to make sure it's been kept up working, so not to add to this situation if this is the case. Its really not all that badly built up inside the radiator this white goup, plus everything works great and all the fluids are always in great shape as far as becoming contaminated from like a blown head gasket... I've put many hours on this engine and things are great, so it almost seems like this is what's expected in the higher hour engines perhaps? Not sure if this is whats going on.. does anybody else experience the same thing?
Sounds like a head gasket
Might also be the oil cooler if it has one. I don't think you are talking about white looking corrosion around the core tubes. We had a leaking oil cooler once that contaminated the whole cooling system causing overheating. Not wanting to stop for a repair we put a handful of 'Cheer' detergent in the rad and ran it for a day. We drained the rad when warm and it looked as good as new in there. A week later we finished the job and had a welder repair it by silver soldering the cooler tubes while in an oven. Phil
Yes! thats it, I didn't explain myself and how it was in there, thank you Phil... I am talking about the white corrosion thats around the core tubes, and after bushing a lot of it away by sticking a bent tooth brush thru the hole, there is still a spotty thin layer of it still stuck to the flat surfaces and core tube ends, its stubborn stuff that don't come off easy. I don't have anything leaking oil in the coolant, so its not derived by oil, its in no way oily to the touch, its like touching wet chalk. I'm very surprised, corrosion? how is that? I thought todays store bought antifreezes eliminated the need to worry about corrosion....
Is the white goup you refer to in suspension in the radiator fluid? If it is floating in the anti-freeze you have oil contamination. Or is it a hard white substance accumulated around the tubes where they are soldered to the tank? If it is the hard white material it is called solder bloom. It is a common condition in radiators with soldered tubes and tanks. A radiator shop can remove it by giving the radiator an acid bath. They would then pressure test it for leaks. Phil's advice about the detergent is absolutely the thing to do if it is oil contamination.
Sounds like calcium to me. Common mineral in water.
I'm with ATCO on this...just mineral build up from water. That's why in the owners manuals on just about any car, truck or heavy vehicle or whatever it says to use distilled water only. Noone ever does.
It's just a guess on my part, but calcium in water destroys more hot water heaters and well pumps than anything else. It's a very common mineral in water. And when it's heated, like in an engine cooling system, it turns into a white/chalky stuff that sticks to everything.
I got the coolant for this change from John Deere, its say premixed with water already, I didn't read it yet if it mentioned they used distilled.... I'm relieved now I made a big fuss over nothing.
There is a water treatment company in my town, he's got a big outfit and travels very far to service homes and businesses. He does it all with treating water in every way imaginable, mainly for the homes and businesses all over in my part of the country, it is a big problem here in New England USA, just about all the high end homes have big dollar water treatment systems in the basement. You are so right ATCO....
That buildup will reduce the efficiency of the radiator by inhibiting the contact between the water and the cooling surfaces of the radiator. If enough of it were to generate, you could see your machine overheat.
I was thinking about having the radiator boiled hot tanked, I don't even know a place that still does that...
I'm guessing that an older radiator would be okay in a hot tank, quite a common thing years ago. A well-established rad shop should have this equipment. If it's nice and light when you take it out, it's probably been recored and will have to be recored again, as it won't stand up to the cleaning. Anti-freeze apparently looses it's ability to inhibit corrosion after 2 or 3 years and needs a change or at least an additive. This helps protect the liners too. I'm sure water quality would affect the life of the solution, some sources are very 'hard'. I've added Gillits lye to water in some larger cooling systems to clean the core out. It's 99% sodium hydroxide I believe. I'm not recommending it but it has worked for me in an emergency. Work the machine for an hour or so, then pull the bottom rad hose off. Hard on hoses and aluminum, dangerous stuff. Phil
years ago i think that stuff was called lead bloom. dont know why.