Noticed this yesterday. Is there a bearing in there as well? Got a quite for 2 top rollers 370 plus shipping
You need a whole new top roller it worn though the bearing and half way though the shaft id say
So if I order A Top roller it will have bearings and shaft?
Depends on what you order eh ?
Depends what part number you order and whether or not you ask the supplier "is this a roller assembly complete with shaft & bearings".?
Asking that question now
It was 2 complete assemblys 370. They both sold before I could buy them.
Looks like JD rails but regardless for a carrier roller I'd get a lower cost aftermarket roller assembly, especially if the rest of the undercarriage has a lot of wear. What machine is it?
The rest can't be good looks like the roller flanges are hitting the pins
Could be but some pin bosses have a flat side. Unfortunately it may be time for a complete new undercarriage $$$$.
Looks shinny to me in the photo
It does but would need to see a pic. of the track on the ground and the rollers. It would seem that if the carrier roller is that worn out the rest of the undercarriage isn't far behind.
Komatsu D41s3.
I'd check with Trek or other aftermarket suppliers for lower priced undercarriage parts. I wouldn't buy from an unknown or no name overseas brand.
Pics of lower parts
Judging by those pictures you’ve got more problems than just a failed top roller.
What looks wrong? I don’t know much about it
A number of track rollers, especially the front one, are worn out or close to it. Sprocket segments don’t have that much life left in them. The track links, pins/bushes, and idlers are probably in a similar state.
Let me see if I can get better pics, how can you tell the rollers are worn out? Again I don’t know
The roller flanges are hitting the pins meant the groove in the roller is worn in and the height of the rail is worn down
See the contact between the track roller flange and the boss on the end of the track link (Circled RED) in the first photo. That contact and the wear shown by the RED arrows on the pin bosses is caused by worn track rollers and by wear on the surface of the track links. You can see where metal is being extruded from the rail surface of the links, the area in the BLUE square being just one example.
I'm a bit surprised that the sprockets aren't any worse than they are considering the wear on the rollers. It makes me wonder if someone many hours ago replaced the chain and sprockets without replacing the rollers/idlers.
If you don't know much about undercarriage, you sure are in for a steep learning curve with that tractor. You've got the choice of either parting it out real soon, or spending a large amount of dollars on all new undercarriage. You may also need new track recoil springs, which are hidden under those track cover guards.
A wise fellow once told me when buying a track machine your manly buying a undercarriage. He's not wrong
Kind of like buying a truck needing an inframe versus one that's just had one. The price will (should) reflect the difference.
Waiting on Trek to call me back with prices
Could have just had the sprocket segments changed at some point. There's fairly easy to change and not the big ticket items. A complete undercarriage could be in the $10,000 range or more so be prepared. Can't tell what the track pads are like. Hopefully they're OK and still tight. Then they can be reused but you should use new nuts and bolts. They need to be tightened with the torque turn method. This is very important so they stay tight. Once they come loose are hard if not impossible to keep tight.
Check a couple dealers to compare prices.
I will part it before I drop 10k on a farm machine that sees less than hours a year usage. Trek won’t call me back.
On average how many hours a year does it run.?
probably 50 at best certainly never more than 75. I typed it in the last post but it isn’t there now. Weird
I will get pics of track pads, they look tight and nearly new to me But I don’t know what I am looking for
With that number of hours/year a replacement carrier roller for the failed one and maybe a few track rollers (probably at least a front one on each side) might get you 5-10 years of operation. Need some photos of the other side and some of the track links & bushes from underneath to see what it looks like.
Call Trek back. They might have misplaced your number or got busy and forgot. Things happen.
Agreed. It doesn't look as if the chain has worn so much that the pitch is causing the bushings to climb the sprocket teeth, so just to get it rolling freely may not be too bad as far as cost goes.
You can trim a little (say about 1/4") off the roller flanges carefully with the gas axe (not getting them too hot), and that will stop the flanges from hitting the pin bosses. When the roller flanges are hitting the pin bosses, this loosens the pins in the links, and makes the pins start to work their way out of the links. In addition, roller flanges hitting the pin bosses makes for a rough ride in the seat.
The other side
Top carrier is shot but doesn't appear the roller flanges are hitting the bosses yet but close. Tracks looks a little tight which likely contributed to the top carriers wearing out so bad. Track should have about 2 inches drop at the lowest point between carrier roller and idler using a straight edge on the top.
I think I have to remove the grease fitting on the adjuster to loosen the tracks, probably under quite a bit of pressure. Off to look at my repair manual
I don't know about Trek, but you can try calling Ryan Hutto at Track Hutt, he has taken pretty good care of me before. I think he is in Georgia. Contact Track Hutt - Track Hutt Track Company Be sure to reach out to us through our chat widget for fast response time. You can also email us at [email protected] or call us at (912) 394-3233. trackhutt.com
The top rollers are correctly termed "carrier rollers" or "support rollers". There are at least 4 different part numbers for the carrier rollers, depending on tractor serial number, so you need to produce your tractor serial number to get the correct carrier rollers. CARRIER ROLLER D41S-3 S/N 6001-UP [d41s-3c] Komatsu 131-30-00316 Part catalog k-part.777parts.org When you've found your S/N and the correct roller P/N from the above link, then try a search using the P/N, prefixed by "Komatsu". Sometimes you get better search results, searching "images", instead of text results. You could try calling Costex, they specialise in cheap Chinese products which will be just fine for your needs. Otherwise, try Machinery Trader or Rock and Dirt, and search for Komatsu D41S's being parted out, or for used carrier rollers for the D41S. Carrier rollers only carry low loads - you can even use blocks of hardwood as top support for the track chain! Trim the bottom roller flanges that are hitting the pin bosses, with the gas axe - install 4 new or used carrier rollers, and you'll get several years farm use out of that worn undercarriage.
Why doesn't anyone mention Heavyquip??
Because it's hard to think of a complete list of suppliers off the top of your head! - and Komatsu spares are not as easily sourced, as say Cat, or JD spares.
Don't take the grease fitting out of the track adjuster. There is likely something else to loosen. It should say in the manual if you have one. If you don't have a manual someone familiar with Komatsu should be able to tell you how to loosen the tracks and adjust them. There's a lot of pressure so you want to know the proper procedure.
The track adjuster on Komatsu machine operates in a similar manner to Cat track adjusters. There is screw-in fitting with a grease zerk screwed into the top of it - and this screw-in fitting has a groove machined into it for grease pressure relief when the fitting is unscrewed. Komatsu warn you, NOT TO UNSCREW THE GREASE ADJUSTER MORE THAN ONE FULL TURN. One full turn of the nut is enough to expose the groove to release the grease (and the track tension) - under normal circumstances. Any further unscrewing of the track adjuster fitting exposes you to the danger of the fitting being expelled with great force, and possibly causing injury to you. However, nothing ever stays "normal " with undercarriage - that mostly operates in dirt, mud, salt, and water - and corrosion is ever-present in most undercarriage systems. As a result, the track adjusting mechanism cylinder (and other track idler components) can become corroded and can often fail to move back in, when the grease pressure is released. You can try inserting a large diameter pin or bar (an old track pin is ideal) into the top teeth of the sprocket, and then drive backwards a little to see if the idler is moving back, and if the track adjuster has moved back in, and is releasing pressure on the track. Don't mistake track recoil spring compression for track adjuster movement. If you drive the tractor forward again, and release the pin pressure on the track - and the idler moves forward again - then, all that has happened, is the track recoil spring was compressed, and the track adjuster didn't move back as required. If the latter happens, then work will be required on the track adjuster to remove corrosion, and to free it up, so it can move back in freely.
I have the repair manual, will check it out today along with getting serial numbers
Now deceased uncle and I made a little machine, (portable lathe) to do exactly this while the rollers were still mounted onto the tractor. Once anchored and set up correctly, it worked well and was very accurate if the bearings were good in the rollers. Much more accurate than a "gas axe" even with bad bearings. Unfortunately, it burnt up in the shop fire caused by human error and laziness involving hot coals following his stroke, and subsequent death. His widow had an iron and metal "recycler" come in and wholesale scap the contents, and another demolish the building. I bring this up as a machine shop specializing more in repair rather than production could easily fabricate you something like this pretty easily. We sourced most materials from McMaster-Carr at the time except the little right angle gear motor that drove the unit. That was a 90VDC unit I made from another machine tool to vary the speed. A fixed gear 120VAC motor turning at a constant speed would work acceptably well also albeit slower. For the usage I read into your postings, this may be a cost effective way to extend the use of your tractor. If something is not done pretty soon you are going to start throwing track and that's a whole lot of fun in the mud to deal with. I've not been around Komatsu much myself, but parts required were easily sourced through Roland Equipment in Springfield, IL. They now have a Peoria, IL location but I've not been there.
I have the same machine. The undercarriage is pretty much the same shape. So I'm interested in this thread. I Did replace the right side grease fitting after I took the pressure off the adjuster using a pair of comalongs attached to the tracks and the pat blade. My track was sagging alot probably had no grease anyway. But I was cautious of something bad happening.
Same tractor but with a 6 way blade.
Is this a production machine or something that will get very little use, like around a farm?
Already mentioned it's a farm machine and won't see a lot of hours.
Serial number 6281.
In that case, your roller part number is 131-30-00316, for machines from S/N 6171-up. They shouldn't be too hard to source, the same roller fits at least 25 different Komatsu models.
is that the bottom roller? One parts guy said there is sing and double flange rollers for this machine never mind top roller, thnks
If you click on the link I provided in post #41 above, you will see 131-30-00316 is the carrier (top) roller, and an exploded parts diagram is shown on that page as well. Yes, the bottom rollers comprise alternating single flange and double flange rollers, but in your case your top roller is single inside flange.
carrier rollers are on the way, I can replace all 10 bottom rollers for 3500 ish dollars. Going to get the top ones in, tracks adjusted and see where it stands first.
Where are the rollers coming from? $350 each for bottom rollers seems high to me.
That was AMS. Trek will not sell to me I must use their dealer network
I'd look around. The roller price is pretty high.
IMO, the roller price isn't that high, undercarriage prices have been going up steadily in recent times with high iron and steel prices. Bought any steel recently? The price of steel sections and plate is unbelievable.
It's not that big of a machine. I didn't think the price would take that big of jump but maybe. D3B size rollers were under $200 and that's only about a size bigger for about double the price for rollers???
I don't know, but I replaced a bottom roller on a D6T last year, with new bolts and end caps I think it was a bit over $400.
A D6T is a fair bit bigger. Was it a Cat roller?
Yes.
Hoping not but I get the feeling this thread is going to be joined at the hip of Acoal's thread, "Good Healthy Carngage" sometime in the near future. Think of it: an inexperienced operator, in an unfamiliar machine that has a beyond shot undercarriage. What could go wrong? You guys familiar with running a trackloader know the twisting and turning these endure along with weight shift under power with a fully loaded bucket to get into position. I'll bet running that tractor with shot chains it begins walking track off with eventual binding of a track rolling on itself, or wedging between the machine and roller frame stripping a final in a short period of time. Seen it more than once myself on worn machines being stretched out in use. Usually a machine let go that far is a parts donor afterward. A dozer only knows to push and in the case of a bound track, find the weakest link. This tractor has had a lot of "Band-Aid" repairs and is getting more with partial repairs to the undercarriage which is way beyond it's designed service life. It very well may be best to repair it correctly before it's placed back into service rather than scrap out your partial repairs and loose the $$$ spent to make them. Of course all this is FWIW as I'm not funding anything here.
A ray of sunshine
I don't think you have to go the extreme doom and gloom quite yet. Fix the top rollers and maybe trim the roller flanges and see share you're at. If the tracks are reasonably tight 50 hours a year could last several years.
Not really but having sunshine blown up your backside will get you burned also. Not suggesting you but I know how a lot of farmers think as see them, and this type equipment in this condition near daily. Haul a lot of it in that doesn't get repaired and is scrapped or sent to sale citing cost to repair and become someone else's problem. Not doom and gloom at all; just a bit of experience seen and typed out being worth what you paid. Agriculture is a tough business for sure and I wish you the best of luck, (really) but from what I see, you're going to have problems.
He might be happy if he gets 150 hours out of it. In the mean time he could look for used in better condition than his.
Very true and hope the machine renders expected, or desired service. Hopefully not a lot of $$$ expended and catastrophic failure occur. Tracked loaders endure a lot of stresses that dozers do not, and some of the scenarios I've presented have been seen first hand. Best to have the both the pros, and cons to ensure a correct path to proceed upon with equipment. Without experience one must solicit input from those that hopefully do for guidance. I don't gather anyone wants to see this party hurt in any way, just want to see and help him make the correct and prudent decisions they will be comfortable with. Again, FWIW.
Hopefully he can find some cheaper top carrier rollers and go from there. It's not a huge expense as far as crawlers go.
With a tractor in this type undercarriage condition needing so much work due to wear, coupled with the projected working hours being so low, I certainly would be looking for another donor to use for parts. From the photos posted I'm assuming this is a recent farm purchase under much the same ideology I've typed earlier; no harm nor foul there as the gent did not know what he was getting into at that point; only the selling price was "right". Education can be expensive, but it can be lessened quite easily by listening and digesting input from several sources, (being both positive, and negative) for the best fit in the application. Open eyes, ears, and research are paramount here. This may not be the right thing to say but I fed my family during the dark economic days of 1981, and 1982 doing repairs on undercarriage of all types I would not do today. However, I learned much besides how to change parts. Welding and buildup of rollers, sprockets, idlers, shoes, grousers, chain, etc. is just a small part of that "education". Like our friends on youtube over in Pakistan, I've welded up and ground teeth in finals to keep a tractor operational, or make it a saleable unit. In those days I needed money which translated into food and subsistence and wasn't near as particular what was done to generate that money as today.
Is this undercarriage screwed as well? Trying to learn a bit
A little hard to tell from the pic. Sprocket teeth are getting pointed but it doesn't look like the roller flanges are hitting the pin bosses yet.
A lot could be learned from a manual such as this: ***************************/komatsu/komatsu-d41s-3-and-d41q-3-dozer-service-manual/
Hope that manual link can answer some questions.
Potential donor machine.?
Why do people not clean their undercarriage daily after operating and before taking pictures? Its basic crawler operating and maintenance but, hey, its not my money. I can’t tolerate a plugged-up undercarriage. You do it as the engine is cooling down at the end of the day. It is, however, ok to die of a heart attack with a track spade in your hands
Just trying to learn, it is a $50k CAT machine that to my untrained eyes looks like the rollers are almost on the pins.
After use do you clean it like with a hose or just knock the big chunks off?
Mostly clean off everything on top of track frames and around the sprockets and carrier rollers. Having dirt packed in there can increase undercarriage wear. If it's packed around the carrier roller can cause the roller to not turn and you get flat spots on the roller.
The only way to determine track wear is by careful measurement of pins, bushings, rollers, idlers, sprockets and track chains. Try and get hold of an older Cat Custom Track Service handbook, that deals with low track undercarriage (not high track), and you will get a lot of useful information from the book.
Small update, got one carrier roller in, seems ups lost the other. I was away for a few weeks working so no huge deal. Went to install the one I had and yellow jackets had built a nest in the dirt on my track frame…They got me…then I got them harder.
We have many stocks for this items. Is you are interested , we may able to sell you below our Cost. To change all undercarriage new can be expansive, can try weld back on some items and change its components. This will save cost.
If Track Pin, Bush and Sprocket need to change, can consider of using new Pin , Bush of larger Outer diameter, maybe Sprocket no need to change.
Finally getting it done