Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wheel Loader Advice Please

Kurley ยท 2015-03-06 12:58

I'm looking for some advice on purchasing an older Wheel Loader, Gonna try and keep this short. I purchased some property a few years back that somewhere along the line prior owners went in with a logging skidder and rutted out the lanes pretty deep, I have been using my track steer to move in fill dirt to re-fill the ruts to make riding a 4 wheeler and walking the property a little easier. I am finding that I am wasting so much time with the little bucket moving dirt on the steer going from the front to the back that this will take an eternity to get it done. I am a weekend warrior and looking to get possibly a wheel loader with say a 2 or 3 yard bucket to make moving dirt more efficient. I am a one man army and working on a budget somewhere in the area of 15000 or less for a toy so to speak. I considered renting one but they are a small fortune to rent. I was looking at Track Loaders also but they seem to have so many different areas on maintenance and things that can go wrong. There is a guy here in Fenton that has an old Allis Chalmers 545 he's asking 10K for the machine, there is also a Cat 910 for 14000 not to far away also. The 545 has the long stroke 6 cylinder USA made machine probably late 60's, tires are checked, I am waiting for the guy to get it out of storage so I can test drive it, have yet to look at the Cat machine up close and personal. Any thoughts on which would be best for someone that is looking to save time and energy as I don't want to be wrenching on it more than I am utilizing it? What should I be focusing on when I am checking these units out? I don't care about heat, AC, cab, no cab etc. I figure I have at least 2 or 3 summer weekends worth of work for the unit so that's why I am wanting to purchase one and then I could always sell it off if it starts to sit around more than it's being used. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-545-LOADER-diesel-4x4-drive-2-yard-bucket-12SNOW-BLADE-Cat-color-/351110784895?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51bfd5677f http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/hvo/4900970215.html These are the 2 I am talking about .. Thanks for looking and any advice.

Replies8
  1. #1cuttin edge2015-03-06 17:05

    To me, when it comes to those small loaders, I would rather invest in a good used rubber tire backhoe. You can bucket almost as much material, plus you have the versatility of the rear bucket for draining water, digging ditches, and if you happen to get stuck, you can always get out with the back bucket.

  2. #2Delmer2015-03-06 18:00

    I agree. But for the work you mentioned I'd think a little ford with a disk and blade would do the work in far less time (and money). Hauling dirt with a loader or backhoe is entirely the wrong way to go about it.

  3. #3pburress2015-03-08 19:15

    I'd go for the cat, there's a better chance at still being able to get parts. But I have to agree with the backhoe like cuttin edge stated they are more versatile

  4. #4ror76a2015-03-08 20:04

    I have a Cat 944 for sale in the thumb. It is a lot more machine than the 910, costs about half of your budget, and parts are easy to get, unlike the Allis. It is old, rear wheel steer, and the breaks don't work, but otherwise a very reliable machine. send me a pm if you are interested and I can send pictures and my number.

  5. #5DirtVanDigger2015-03-09 02:53

    You should try and find a John Deere 244 or 324. Less expensive than the CAT machines...and should be plenty for what you need. Not sure of any used ones in your area, just my .02 cents

  6. #6Mike Van2015-03-09 08:09

    There are many sad stories on here that start "I just bought this loader and the 4wd doesn't work, or there's no high range, or.........." Whatever you decide on, try it before you buy it, sellers promises of "work ready" etc, many times don't tell the whole story. A 2 or 3 yard loader is a good sized machine for weekend warrior duty, costly to move, repair, maintain - Lots of used machines on the market, winters ending, some snow removal ones will be coming on the market. Don't jump on the first one you find.

  7. #7old-iron-habit2015-03-09 08:20

    I agree with the person that suggested using a disc. The dirt from the ruts is still there. Discing them a few times will fill them back in. If you want to build the trail up, that's a different matter.

  8. #8Kurley2015-03-13 13:04

    Hi Guy's Thank You for the responses, I am going to give the Disc option a shot, The dirt is there just banked from the deep ruts if that works out which I think it will I'll be able to utilize the Dump Truck to build up where necessary. ror76a I did see the machine you own and If Discing don't produce the results I am looking for I'll send you a PM so we can chat on the unit. Again Thank You all for the input.