Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wheel weight question

Diesel_Brad ยท 2016-01-15 17:57

Ok guys, question for you I have a Ford 260c(my tractor), a 545a(fixing to sell) and a 545d(parts tractor) I am putting some R4 "turf" tires on my 260c as to not tear up my yard. I want to put my 260c tires/rims on the 545a since the 545a has BALD tires. The 545d has Bald tires too, so I dismounted the tires off it, sandblasted the rims and painted them the 545a tires/rims can then go on the parts tractor to keep it movable. Ok, not to the question... the 260c has some big wheel weights but I dont know how much they weigh the 545d also has some big wheel wheel weights but they dont look as heavy. Is there some way to tell the weight of the 260c and the 545d wheel weights? I want to put the heaviest weights on the 260c since I have a loader and 5' forks

Replies31
  1. #1Delmer2016-01-15 18:22

    500 pounds per cubic foot, you can get a decent estimate with a little measuring and math.

  2. #2Diesel_Brad2016-01-15 21:15

    They are too inconsistent of a shape to try and measure. I have the 545d weights off and they are about all I can do to move them around. i am guessing around 300lbs

  3. #3oarwhat2016-01-16 08:51

    Pull both off and weigh them.

  4. #4Diesel_Brad2016-01-16 11:47

    Easier said than done . I have the weights off the 545d and it is all i can do to move them. Once I take the wheels/tires off the 260c I will have NO way to move them. Also I dont have a scale that would go that high

  5. #5mitch5042016-01-16 14:16

    Look around in the ford/ new holland parts book and see if you can find them. www.messicks.com If not: 1. go to a truck scale and weigh your pickup 2. put one of the 545 weights in pickup and weigh it again. 3. put a tire off of one of the 545s on the 260. 4. put the 260 weight in the p'up and weigh it again. Skip step 1 if you only want the relative weights

  6. #6oarwhat2016-01-16 14:46

    Well said!!

  7. #7Delmer2016-01-16 16:02

    Rig up a balance beam and measure how far out a known weight (such as Diesel Brad) has to be to lift them.

  8. #8Diesel_Brad2016-01-18 19:15

    I guess you missed the part where I said I can barely move them. No less lift then 3' into the back of a pickup. Also the nearest truck scale is 45 min from me and it costs $10 I ordered a 1,100lb hanging scale I am going to rig from a tree

  9. #9Delmer2016-01-18 19:28

    How you planning to lift an 1,100lb scale then???

  10. #10mitch5042016-01-18 19:36

    I guess you missed the part where I suggested lifting them with your loader. Hope it all works out, good luck.

  11. #11Diesel_Brad2016-01-19 05:32

    Pulley and a rope

  12. #12hookedondiesel2016-01-20 07:54

    R4's are not turf tires, R3's are. The weights that look the biggest will be the heaviest.:tong

  13. #13Diesel_Brad2016-01-20 18:39

    Ok, what do you call these https://www.bkt-tires.com/fr/pattern/tr-461

  14. #14hookedondiesel2016-01-21 04:44

    Those do state they are R4's, and those tread patterns match R3's. They sure are nice, wouldn't mind a set on my machine.

  15. #15Diesel_Brad2016-01-21 05:35

    And thats why I got them. Not as aggressive as the typical R-4 but but some slick like a turf. I have BKTs SureTrac HD on the front and they work great. They dont tear up turf, yet have Great traction in the snow

  16. #16hookedondiesel2016-01-22 07:05

    May I ask what size you took and the price per tire.

  17. #17Grady2016-01-22 08:20

    If I need to lift something heavy and can't use the loader bucket, I use a home made tripod made of thick wall steel pipe. It is adjustable for height by having 2 piece legs that telescope and a series of holes with bolts to secure and flat feet like the stabilizers on a backhoe. It has a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 inch steel that hangs from the top to attach a chain falls or come-a-long from. I can lift it myself to put it in the back of my pickup if I need to take it somewhere but I usually just lift one end and drag it because it isn't light. I don't use it much but it's priceless when you need it. I recently loaded a piece of granite 2 1/2" thick and 4' x 8' into the back of my truck by myself with practically no effort.

  18. #18Diesel_Brad2016-01-22 19:48

    I went with 12-16.5 fronts and If I remember correctly I paid $240 each The rear are 16.9-24 and they were $550 each I have a tire guy near me that BLOWS everyone out of the water on tire prices. Even on line prices(before shipping) were not even close

  19. #19Diesel_Brad2016-01-22 19:51
  20. #20mitch5042016-01-22 20:14

    You did go up on your rear tire size, too, didn't you?

  21. #21Diesel_Brad2016-01-23 07:56

    No, stock size front and rear for my 260C

  22. #2251kw2016-01-23 08:21

    A quick google search said the heavy factory weights for that size Ford rim are 280lbs each.

  23. #23hookedondiesel2016-01-23 08:36

    Thanks DB, love the tread design on those, I'll have to check out prices here in Canada, most likely double what you paid. I would need 12.5x18 for mine, 4 of them since their all the same.

  24. #24Diesel_Brad2016-01-23 11:58

    For which tractor? the 545A, the 545D or the 260C. They are all different

  25. #25mitch5042016-01-23 12:15

    Oh, ok, the pic just made it look like your new front tires were a couple sizes bigger than your old ones. Probably a combination of wear and camera angle.

  26. #2651kw2016-01-23 17:22

    That was for the 260C.

  27. #27Diesel_Brad2016-01-23 20:47

    Any info on 545a weights? And was your info from the expired eBay listing? Those are the same weights that Came off my 545a. My 260c weights are different http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Tracto...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

  28. #28Diesel_Brad2016-01-23 21:07

    The old tires are worn to S H I T

  29. #2951kw2016-01-24 21:54

    That is the info I used. If you could post a picture or any numbers on them it could help.

  30. #30Diesel_Brad2016-01-25 05:39

    I dont see any numbers Only pic I have

  31. #31Diesel_Brad2016-01-31 07:56

    I weighed the 260C weights.......278lbs each The 545D weights are ..............224lbs each