Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wheeled excavator

AntonioRocha · 2016-08-06 15:16

Hi everyone, What are your thoughts about excavators on wheels, We had a Komatsu PW130-6 and it was a very bad machine, Cat´s have perkins engines wich leak alot of oil, what is the best brand on those kind of machines?

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies10
  1. #1hmk2016-08-26 12:45

    ''Old'' thread, but i'll answer *** Volvo. Best on wheeled excavators so far. what made the PW130 a bad machine by the way? I'm no particular fan of komatsu on beforehand anyways..

  2. #2AntonioRocha2016-08-26 18:19

    Had alot of hydraulic and electric problems with the komatsu, Volvo use to be Akerman in the wheeled excavators.

  3. #3uffex2016-08-27 04:00

    Good day AntonioRocha Volvo produce there wheeled excavators in Germany (Konz) it is not an Akerman these were made in Eslov South Sweden, the Volvo has a Duetz engine which does not leak more oil than it burns. Original Volvo also used a Perkins the engines were green out of the plant but in a very short time became black, there was little point to change the oil as the engine only lasted about 4000 hours. Avoid these engines like the plauge. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4ih1002016-08-27 06:45

    Sorry, but ignore the service interval and moan because your engine fails? Care to elaborate on where your info on this came from? I am aware that some Phasers/1000 series fitted to Volvos had issues, and that the same engines in just about every other application, including excavators, didn't suffer from the same issues.

  5. #5uffex2016-08-27 09:24

    Good day ih100 You are obviously a Perkins advocate or even employed, here is my reply. I was a product specialist with Volvo a number of years involved in a number of meetings with Perkins staff whom claimed the engine met there standards for blow by I can assure you changing the oil was almost done on a daily basis simply by continual top ups. In fact we fitted drums to catch the oil to some machines as you may be aware oil spillage from rubber ducks meets with a negative response from customers working on black top.Whilst it may appear that I endorse going blind to service intervals I certainly do not but the net result to these engines in 360 machines has little effect. It may be in a 180 machine or in a small tractor they prove reasonable. Oil leakage - loss of power - short life sums up what the plant in Peterborough have stck with Clatterpillar others makers will be pleased with that decision. Kind regards and no offence. Uffex

  6. #6ih1002016-08-27 13:22

    Well, Birtley built Komatsu 360's took a lot of 1000 series before Cat bought Perkins and politics changed the game, and they didn't suffer from the same issues. Unless you know for a fact that every Komatsu that made it past 4000 hrs was lightly used....... I can match credentials with you, as I did work for Perkins and was specifically involved in the investigation into these Volvo failures, particularly inspecting and reporting on returned engines. Obviously there isn't too much I can say on a public forum, suffice it to say that there were issues that were specific mainly to engines serviced by one particular continental dealer, and unequivocally caused by poor servicing. I am aware of 1000 series shortcomings, most of which were down to getting numbers out the door, rather than inherent bad design. Perkins didn't have a monopoly on that problem though. It was more or less standard practise at one time for Atlases and the older (Eder) Cat ducks powered by 4 & 5 cylinder Deutz engines to be fitted with a canvas nappy before working on new Tarmac. I don't gain or lose anything from this argument, as it's history, but I can assure you I have a lot more first hand knowledge which I won't be posting on here. Perhaps we'll meet up at Swineshead for a pint and a row.

  7. #7AntonioRocha2016-08-27 16:51

    I am not a perkins fan either, isuzu makes such nice engines...

  8. #8Plebeian2016-08-27 19:14

    Some of the Hitachi wheeled excavators were ok if they were treated well. Generally it can be better to use a rubber pad track excavator and carry around on truck transporter in many cases. https://youtu.be/GF8gMcsnidQ

  9. #9Volvomad2016-08-27 20:58

    Having worked on an 1 particular EC160 (Tracked) from new ,I can say this particular yoke is the greatest heap of junk ever made , and for a machine that spent more time being worked on than with , the perkins engine gave more than its fair share of grief aswell

  10. #10AntonioRocha2016-08-28 07:35

    We have some electric generators for renting on our fleet, and the modern 6 cylinder deutz engines are always a grease ball, they leak oil everywhere, the same doenst happen with other engines. All our Perkins engines use to crack exhaust manifold, dont know the reason why.