I am currently looking at buying a JD 450C. I haven't tested it yet, but from what the seller is telling me, everything is in top shape. He did say the clutch was engaging at the very top (end of pedal release) and wasn't sure if that typical for these models. If anyone has insight to weather this a typical spec of the model or whether it needs adjusting ect. that would be great.
On that trans. Deere calls for 3 3/4 in. travel till you hit the release on the dry clutch. On my old 450B in does engage the HLR in the last 1 1/2 or so. It is relatively easy to adjust by taking up the floor on the left side. If you need the procedure I can help you.
Not 100% sure on the 450C but on the 450D the first part of the pedal releases the machine clutch, pushing all the way down stops the PTO. There is a specific adjustment procedure for them which is not difficult but takes a couple correct steps to get it right. If adjusted wrong the main clutch will slip easily.