Not sure if this is the correct forum for the topic but here goes: We had a loader tire blow our on the Cat It24. Sounded like a bomb went off, and blew debris over a 100' Scary ****. Definitely think if anyone was in the area, death or serious injury would result. Anyone have advice on replacing the single tire that blew out? or going ahead to replace all 4? We priced some new Chinese tires at $800 a piece and about $400-500 to mount and replace all 4. Current tires are 10-15 years old with minimal tread. Machine is used 3-5 times weekly. My wife says replace them all. I tend to agree, as the bank account can afford it right now and we could use the write off. also thinking that the down time is costly for us and replacement would prevent further. Just wanted to see what more experienced members take on this would be>What would you do? Thanks.
I've always been particular about tires and done them as sets. Especially a machine used fairly often for work. The liability alone could cost far more than what you save just fixing one. If they're all similar age and condition I say get them done. It's hard to really put a price tag on down time but it's easy to pencil out the front side cost of new tires. A few grand now or who knows what later....
Confucius say "Stick with an American brand or you get to do over vely soon".
He also said "he who scratch *** have stinky fingers." I've had good luck with some China made tires. Most tire guys won't sell the cheapest no good ones. It is a bit of a gamble. I would take a good used set of US before a new set of China though.
What do you save running them an extra couple years and having another service call each time one goes flat? My experience with Chinese tires is terrible, but they may have improved?
My experience has been somewhere below disappointing. I did not purchase them, they came on the machine when I bought it. I missed the first clue...the tire brand was Sum Ting Wong! I'm here all night...LOL.
Its time for all 4 I think you have already convinced yourself we have had reasonable luck with offshore tires Not to mention you are probably running in material that is prone to flats? Steel slices expensive tires just as fast Of course If you couldnt replace all 4 you would need to locate a used one of matching minimal tread
Your occupation says recycling. What kind of material are you handling? If the stuff isn't pointy or sharp then new tires are probably the way to go. On the other hand if you are pushing up scrap metal or building debris, find a used tire and have the tire people pump foam into all of them and run the machine till the wheels fall off. Around here tire changing is usually about a $100 to $200 dollar add charge. They leave the wheels on the machine and just handle the tires there. Should take but half a day tops.
That would definitely be an eye opener! You should see one blow on a 400 ton haul truck!
I realise the size will vary the price, but how much does that normally cost? What is the ride like? Sounds like you have had success with it?
if your bank account can tolerate foam fill the tires and you wont have to worry about flats and blowouts again...then you can use the china tires with more confidence...but if you have the $$ made in USA tires will serve you better..I just replaced the tires on my backhoe they were 16.9 x 28 8 ply air filled..with USA made tires, the price difference was not enough to take the chance on the china tires, I have seen too many china tires and tire components FAIL long before they should...
Been slammed with work but finally making it back to HEF. To surmise: we work with organic type waste, which means few or little sharp objects. bought 4 new “double coin” chinese tires, for $3,200 mounted/installed. They have a softer ride then previous good years but hold air and let us get the work done. Have stopped running chinese tires on our trucks as they tend to ride poorly compared to American. If i could do it again would have put Americans on the loader. Thanks everybody for opinions
I put 4 titans on our 938g for 4500 installed with liquid sealant installed they were doing good till one of our transfer stations borrowed it a few times while there solid tire 950 was getting repaired
I’ve used foam filled tires on combination hoes . Felt like riding a rock.
That and it sucks alot of hp they are heavy, our 938g had foam filled tire ,foam was breaking down ride was horrible 2 nd gear part throttle tops , i got air filled tires on it and took it for a spin felt like the little ole 3116 was replaced with a 475 3406E , what a difference that was getting rid of all that weight .
What brands are American made?