Hey everyone, I am NOT advertising to sell my equipment on this site, but rather looking for some good info. Does anyone know if CAT, New Holland or JCB have a buy-back program? Anyone know of a company that specifically buys used equipment for a good price? Also, has anyone had success with Ritchie Brother Auctioneers? Any information would be helpful! I.G.
I've sold stuff through Richie Bros and have not really been impressed. They're prices aren't as good as they would have people believe and commissions are high and now with a buyer's fee its either turning guys off so they're not going to the sales or they're figuring it in and the seller just gets that much less. At the end of the day I've always wished that I would have given someone else a good deal instead of it selling low there and then paying a commission. Unless you have a 10 million dollar, or more, spread don't bother with them as you are just another number and they really couldn't care less. I've been watching Ironplanet some and I think they have a good thing going. I don't know what their commissions are but they seem to get better money for their stuff than RBA. I think it might be the detailed inspection reports. Unlike RBA's inspection reports Ironplanet's are worth something. I've bought stuff through Ironplanet but never sold through them. Dealing with them was a pleasure. A medium sized local auction company might be a good option. Depending on the size of your spread these companies tend to have the sale at your site. This saves trucking as well as auctions like these tend to get the best money IMHO. I don't know what it is but if guys are able to look around the yard and see the place as a working operation they know they aren't buying stuff that is working and definitely not just dumped. You could always post your equipment on here. I've posted stuff here and got a great response.
I'd talk to Iron Planet also, they have a strong international market which can be a good thing for the seller.
Thanks for the useful info! I would definitely look at Ironplanet. Where can I post something here for sale?
We have a Forum Equipment for Sale/Wanted that is the place to post your equipment for sale or want to buy. This forum is for non-dealer members to post their equipment for sale.
I have used a local auction house and found the outcome the same as Richie bros. Low prices to the buyer and lower prices to the seller. I have one more machine I am selling and I'm just going to do it on my own.
Machinery Trader My vote is Machinery Trader. If you price your equipment close to what it would bring at an auction it should move pretty fast. No commission, plus you can use the equipment until it sells. That could be worth a lot. You used to get your first ad free. I don't know if it is still that way. They also have AuctionTime. I have heard of rates close to 2% if you shop.
I've had lots of luck in my area buying and selling all sorts of construction stuff on http://www.craigslist.org sometimes youve got to deal with some low ballers through emails but traditionally the guys that actually come out to look at the equipment are pretty straight shooters atleast in my situations.