I have a oil leak on the front shaft seals on my 580SL series 2.The swivel housing shows 2 different seals.My dealer says there will be a #144------ or a 3976----- on the swivel housing somewhere.He of course could not tell me where to look.Anybody know where this # would be on the housing?I wanted to get the seals before i tore into it so it would not be down for a long time.Please help!
Does this look like the correct drawing?. Item # 4 If so I see two seals shown and the 1st one may be NLA from Case. (It shows this complete housing in now obsolete; replaced by the second one.) Case # 100529A1 : 45 x 65 x 12mm metric seal. (For # 144455A1 housing) or Case # 402359A1 : 45 x 60 x 16mm metric seal. (For 397654A1 housing) Case probably gets $20 each for these seals but in the past I have bought some good quality Timken seals from a local industrial supply. That metric size may be all you need. Case does use good quality seals. Others here may have another opinion on these. I really have no experience at all with your machine or this particular part. I got all this totally from the Case parts page. 580SL Ser 2. > Power Train > 6-006 Front Drive Axle, Swivel Housing I have no idea if the number is on the housing or not, but maybe this helps. If you have a local supplier that stocks these size metric seals, tear it down and take you seal there to verify. If you do not tear the old seal up removing it, the number will likely be printed on the front side. If not just measure the parts. Metric seals often have part numbers that are actually the 3 dimensions. You may need a new bushing also, item 3. Ordering parts before never works for me. I always seems to find more worn out items to replace.
I doubt you will find any number on the actual swivel housing - the front axle housing will have the only number - on a tag - if it is still there..... PS - I have given up trying to get the correct seal according to numbers on axles - I would suggest buying all the seals that it could be & returning the unused ones for a credit
It is #4 bowen.I found a 14A9 on the outside of the housing near the fill to line for the plantaries.I am dreading this job for some reason.i have heard the king pins are hard to get out