Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Where do I get power for my backup camera

edilks · 2024-10-25 17:41

I just purchased an aftermarket backup camera for my 2023 JD 318G skid steer. I see where I can mount the screen, right under the main control panel. Where can I source switched power for the camera? It needs to be between 12 and 24v. It is very easy to plug it into the cigarette lighter outlet but I would like it to be switched - the outlet doesn't appear to be. I see a 2 available, open connectors for accessories. Anyone have an idea which one I could tap into and what they are used for? One of them has switched 14 volts on it (red/black wires) but I would like to investigate first. Not sure if it could supply the necessary current also a little suspicious about the odd voltage level. Thanks for any help. -Eric

Replies5
  1. #1Mobiltech2024-10-25 17:50

    Most skid steers have a power plug for a beacon near the rear of the cab. You will see 14 volts running. Otherwise should be about 12.8 volts engine off. I hooked my camera into the tail lights. The camera is very low power draw so you don’t really need to worry about overloading any circuits.

  2. #2stefuel2024-10-25 18:48

    I also have a aftermarket camera that I tied to the lighing system. Mine is wifi so the display can be a tablet or smart phone. I discovered last weekend while doing some landscaping that keeping the tablet screen on all the time quickly depletes the tablet battery. I thought about pulling power from the backup alarm but that wouldn't work for me as when it shuts down, the wifi signal is lost and I have to physically reconnect. That might work for you but in my case, I'm going to add a usb port to the machine to power the tablet when in use

  3. #3edilks2024-10-25 18:52

    Thanks. I contacted the local JD dealer and he told me about a camera power connector that is near the camera mounted in the back. Just didn't see it. The info you gave me is better. I actually need the power in the front as it is carried in a single power/video cable from the monitor to the camera in the back. Can't switch it around.

  4. #4edilks2024-10-25 18:53

    Thanks. I like the cabled video over wireless. I have read about a lot of connection/clarity problems with wireless.

  5. #5mg23612024-10-26 07:23

    Welcome to HEF edilks ! There is a single red wire down below the fuse panel on the right side that is a switched power source. A serial number of the machine could help as well, since there is several different versions of that machine.