Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Where do virus’s and worms reside?

carogator ยท 2010-03-09 19:33

when you get a worm or virus on your computer, where does it reside? on the hard drive or in the memory? Malwarebytes has about 78 quarentined items and I don't know how to get rid of them yet. But for info later on , would changing the hard drive or just the memory be the thing to change?

Replies26
  1. #1stock2010-03-09 20:06

    Down load this the free version and run it it should separate the cream from the milk http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

  2. #2CrushScreen2010-03-16 11:41

    The best thing to do is wipe the computer clean and start again. you should have got a recovery disc with the comp when you bought it, or with the newer ones it asks you to make the disc yourself. what you should have installed on the computer is 1) Antivirus...... avg,avast,avira,nod32, 2) Antimalware,......malwarebytes, superantispyware, spybot S+D 3) Firewall turned on or downloaded one, Zonealarm. Out of those I have installed. avira, malwarebytes, and zone alarm. I disabled avg and s+d as I found it was slowing down my computer a lot. since then no problems. touch wood! A big NO NO is... having two antivirus running as they both kinda nullify each other out, so you are left with an antivirus which is less than useless same with malware and a firewall. anyway to answer your question virus can hide in files, folders .exe programs and documents like word and excel, bascially everywhere on the computer Run your spyware, antivirus weekly, be mindful of sites you visit, you know the ones im refering to!!! aslo p2p sites are infected with a lot of virses and should be avoided ie limewire etc... and you should be fine

  3. #3ez12010-03-16 14:49

    Neither of those are an option you should be looking at, those are Hardware. Virus's/trojans etc are software issues. Malwarebytes should take care of the majority of your virus/malware issues. You'll still need an antivirus program to clean up the non threating virus's. CrushScreen has given you solid advice, only thing different i would recommend to people is NOT to install avg, it's bloated and worthless for the most part. I recommend using Avira for your antivirus, if you want to use a free one. CrushScreen instead of just disabling AVG, you should just uninstall it completely, so it's not running any of the many services that comes with it. just my 2 cents worth -Jeremy

  4. #4Grader4me2010-03-16 18:52

    Well I took your advice Jeremy..got rid of AVG and downloaded Avira. Seemed that AVG worked well for me in the past, but if I can get better protection with Avira.....

  5. #5Grader4me2010-03-16 18:57

    My wife has Limewire pro (paid version) and gets songs off there all the time with no problems...but I'm glad she does this on her laptop..I'm not a trusting soul when it comes to file sharing...

  6. #6CrushScreen2010-03-17 06:05

    It doesnt matter grader if its pro or not. So, its not a matter of if she'll get one. Its a matter of when. She is still downloading the exact same file , and heres the sticky part, files/songs/movies etc... that are labeled safe, MIGHT not be safe, "the virus installed has tricked the label to say safe". music studios, have been known to distribute songs on limewire infected with virus. And yes I have limewire but on an old good for nothing modified comp, with wifi so WHEN i get a virus it cant travel by wires back to the other comps to infect them as well. Virus dont need to crash the computer now for you to know that you have a virus. Instead they work in the background using min resources, and you dont know they are there. dont forget Skype, msn, ym, all those instant messangers can be used to send virus, eg if I am talking with someone on skype and they send me a word/excel file, or any other file, I ALWAYS request that they send it by email so my mail will check for virus. Just be careful out there, thats all im saying.

  7. #7CrushScreen2010-03-17 06:13

    Jeremy, opps meant to write uninstalled, dont know what I was thinking when I wrote disabled, I was probably thinking of the teatimer exe that I had disabled on start up from s+d, and that got me to thinking, malware, from that to thinking about virus, then thinking about avg, Ah the mind is a funny thing !!!

  8. #8Chris431562010-03-17 16:09

    To answer your original question, the hard drive. When any program is run is loaded into RAM, it is loaded into RAM. What is in RAM is gone when you shut the computer down. === If after running a few different antivirus and antispyware applications and there isn't a noticeable difference in how the system is acting/running, you can reinstall the operating system. That would also be a good opportunity to upgrade your hard drive if you wish.

  9. #9td25c2010-03-17 20:51

    We caught a virus two weeks ago.Screen pops up & says "A virus has infected your computer".Then it asks "do you want to fix it?" And td25c clicks to fix the virus.After that the computer shut down like a detroit diesel starving for fuel.We sent the hard drive unit to our computer teck feller and he gave it a good power washing.He dose a good job ,charged us 150.00 to fix the hard drive & install new "norton" security program on the computer hard drive.He allways gives me a stange look when I tell him to go ahead & set the rack on the hard drive while he has it tore down.

  10. #1095zIV2010-03-17 21:06

    After running those programs I'd also do a drive cleaning and a defrag and see if that helps speed up your system too.

  11. #11qball2010-03-17 22:42

    soooo, adult sites are bad for my puter?

  12. #1295zIV2010-03-17 22:53

    Nope, the real key here is not to download anything from sites unless you are sure that you know what you are getting. There is always a risk no matter where you go but downloading is the major player. Most sites like youtube or such don't pose a big hazard because you don't move files off in onto your computer where a nasty can get a grip. I avoid anything that could get me in trouble because if I get a bug, my computer sends a message right to the IT department and I got questions I might not want to have to answer.

  13. #13tootalltimmy2010-03-18 00:30

    Computers, huh? I've heard it all boils down to just a bunch of ones and zeroes.... I don't know how that enables me to see naked women, but however it works, God bless you guys. ~From the television show King of Queens, spoken by the character Doug Heffernan

  14. #14carogator2010-03-18 20:55

    Thanks guys. I am finally learning something. about got things cleared up and working better. one of my main problems was Spyware Doctor. Got it off the machine and works a lot better. Now have malwarebytes and Superantispyware professional.

  15. #15ez12010-03-18 21:00

    $150 ? ouch im guessing $75ish of that was for the norton renewal. I know everyone is different, and we all have our opinions, but i recommend to my customers to save their $75-$100 on the paid versions of antivirus programs, and use avira (free). Then bring me their system when they get infected with the bad ones. I know this might sound like a marketing ploy, but really the paid versions arent any better keeping the nasty virus's/trojans out. So in reality, they end up saving $75-$100 /yr. The virus/trojan that 95zIV (i think it was him that said he got it) got, is one form of the very common one floating around, people being infected various different ways, from sites like facebook, myspace, pogo games, yahoo games, full tilt poker etc etc. Norton, Macafee, etc etc paid versions do not stop this virus/trojan from infecting you. So when you get it, and you will eventually if you visit those sites. You'll still have to take it in to get it cleaned up. I have 2 clean ups, Basic and Advanced. Basic is $19.95 and advanced is $65. The basic cleanup will remove 99.9% of the virus's, there is 1 or 2 out there that i just cant remove. along w/ the basic, i disable some unneeded start up items, among some other lil tweaks to help you get more performance out of your machine. The advanced is what i call a reload, backup your personal files, and wipe your drive, and re-install the os, and restore your personal files. CrushScreen If you have spybot installed, i would also uninstall that. Chris43156 Your right, when a program is ran, it's ran in RAM, but the source program/virus/trojan resides on your Hard drive. You can turn your computer off as many times as you want when your infected, leaved it unplugged for several days.... when you boot it back up, you'll still have that virus/trojan. It would be nice tho to be able to just reboot to remove them it would make everyones life easier. Would prob put me out of a job too LOL -Jeremy

  16. #16Grader4me2010-03-19 14:35

    Jeremy, I installed the lastest version of Adaware (free) from Lavasoft. Would this conflict with Avira? If not, do I really need this extra program? Thanks for all of your advice here!

  17. #17tootalltimmy2010-03-19 21:33

    We have Symantec from my wife's work. We update it daily. Haven't had a problem. Funny thing I read about Norton. It is very hard to delete from your computer if you decide to change your antivirus. Symantec has an application to help you get rid of the little bits of Norton that remain hiding out and popup later on.

  18. #18carogator2010-03-19 22:24

    Norton (Symantec) crashed my computer when I tried to uninstall the program. And they make it really difficult to get the uninstaller tool. norton insists that you aren't going to get it out of your machine. After my subscripton expired, norton went crazy telling me all about virus's and trojans attacking. Never a word before.

  19. #19tootalltimmy2010-03-19 23:08

    Here is the link to a Norton removal tool. http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Norton-Removal-Tool.shtml

  20. #20RonG2010-03-20 04:06

    I never had a problem getting the removal program from Symantec.You need to tell them what program you want to uninstall and download the specific program for that application and follow the instructions to do the uninstall. It is important to use that program and not use the windows removal software first as I have had to reinstall the Norton programs again before it could uninstall it properly.You will need the activation code for the program sometimes before it will let you uninstall it but it will tell you where to find it. The last time I used their website to uninstall their products it seemed to be more universal in scope so they may have updated their software.It still leaves remnants in your registry if you want to get it all.Ron G

  21. #21carogator2010-03-25 09:08

    I am down to only one or two small problems now. I hope. Dell Dimension 3000/Pentium 4 Windows XP Home 32 bit OS SP3 Will not detect new hardware / will not detect software Will not load software from installation disk Where should I start looking? I hace only gotten this far with your help and Geeks to Go.

  22. #22RonG2010-03-25 15:08

    Make sure that you have no yellow flags in device manager.Run SFC.exe /scannow by clicking start/run.Don't forget the space in the command.You will need your operating system disk handy.Ron G

  23. #23daman2010-03-25 15:54

    thats a good little tool.

  24. #24carogator2010-03-25 23:01

    Thats what I have on here now. But it is the Paid version. Superanti-spyware Professional. I don't have any warning flags at all in device manager. I do have yellow ? on all my USB controlers. Ran scan-disc, no damaged discs nothing to repair. Still can't get system to detect new hardware or locate software, even from installation disc.will not find software on internet.

  25. #25RonG2010-03-26 04:02

    You may need to enable USB in the system bios,that is setup when the computer first boots,you may need to press F2 or whatever during the boot process to access it.I suspect that you have some missing or corrupted operating system files and the easy way to fix that is to run SFC.exe as I told you yesterday.SFC stands for system file checker.It is a Microsoft utility.Your CPU is not running hot is it?If it has in the past even though you cleaned the fan and heatsink it can cause undesireble things to happen to the system,files get lost,corrupted etc.Ron G

  26. #26OCR2010-03-26 19:46

    Where do virus's and worms reside? Here's a couple "Forum" type sites that might provide some help with a few of the issues in this thread... I actually belong to the avast! site, same user name, too... http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=3e203ade9b44abcf147191fc0efeae08& http://en.kioskea.net/forum/ OCR