Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Where has everyone gone?

Hallback ยท 2017-11-24 09:32

Seems like this place is a ghost town anymore. 5-6 years ago it was a wealth of information, photos and loaded with people. Did they all go to Facebook? Contract Logger has been absent for years also...... Just reminiscing I guess.

Replies51
  1. #1kshansen2017-11-24 09:36

    Well I'm still here! Just not as many questions on the equipment I have had the good or bad fortune to work on over the years!

  2. #2camptramp2017-11-24 10:02

    Unless your a member the photos appear in a small size . There use to be a lot of non member broswser's . We have lost that following since the up grade . I use to have friends that were non members who actually helped me find pictures , I have lost that support . I lobbied for the pictures to be kept in a larger Format when the up grade was taking place , but my point was not taken into consideration . For old followers there's not much new . For any potential new followers who log on , if they can't make out the pictures to get their attention , they move on to another site .

  3. #3Hank R2017-11-24 10:38

    I am still around but just nothing to post, but I check in 2 or 3 times a day.

  4. #4catwelder2017-11-24 12:17

    im not sure how to post pictures and I never feel like making a new post just to show pictures of whats going on

  5. #592U 34062017-11-24 12:25

    I was hoping the forestry subforum on here would be relatively active when I joined. Not the case though unfortunately.

  6. #6diamondtguy2017-11-24 13:16

    I agree...it has got very quiet here.Like Hank I check in a few times a day and try and do a weekly update on the Grizzly.. I think Camptramp pretty much nailed it as far as viewers go.If they cant see the pics there is no point looking and no point sending people here. The current status/direction of logging and the fact that a lot of the big equipment is parked isn't helping things.

  7. #7check2017-11-24 15:14

    We got old and died.

  8. #8kshansen2017-11-24 15:59

    Speak for yourself, Just checked and I still have pulse! Might be a little week but still there!

  9. #90752017-11-24 17:25

    I think after awhile you kind of run out of good pictures to post.And FB has many more places and people to post

  10. #10Hallback2017-11-24 17:48

    I've been trying to not go back to Facebook. I left it 5 years ago and it has been great.

  11. #11check2017-11-24 17:52

    Under your avatar it says you're a "senior member", just like me.

  12. #12dirty4fun2017-11-24 18:59

    I am not a logger but came out to Port Alberni three years ago, because I wanted to see the equipment. I look every morning and every night to see if there are pictures or stories. I will make it back next year and hope to spend some time on the island, and seeing the friends I made there. I also look on Facebook to a few of the logging sites. I sure wish I would of been on the island years ago, because I sure would of enjoyed driving a off highway logging truck, or most anything in the logging industry.

  13. #13Rusty Grapple2017-11-24 19:00

    Most everybody has gone to facebook for several reasons. For me it is the following reasons I am using facebook: 1. Real-time conversations and instant response times from the people you need information from 2. The ability to edit or add information as it comes to you in real time 3. Easier faster picture uploading and the ability to save pictures in large groups or albums, permanently for easier viewing 4. The ability to instantly share large PDF files and excel spreadsheets, etc (brochures, machinery lists, high resolution photographs, etc) I still check in here 1 or 2 times a month but usually the new information I see here is information or pictures that I have already seen on facebook. The people I connected with on these forums are all on facebook and most are uploading all their pics and information there. I rarely log in here anymore but your question is a legitimate one and I felt I could offer and answer with one person's perspective (mine). The threads here are cool, but now we have whole facebook pages dedicated to certain manufacturers or certain logging operations. A thread here becomes a whole page over there. The other issue is nearly everyone has a facebook page now and pics or info posted there reaches a much larger audience than we have here. All that said- am I ready to give up on these forums? No. They have value and there is a wealth of great information here posted over the last 10 years or so. The 2 are very different. There is value in both. I hope that helps?

  14. #14kshansen2017-11-24 19:34

    Well if we are going to get nasty here I could say something about someone who's "Joined Date" is April 1st!

  15. #15diamondtguy2017-11-24 19:59

    I also left facebook along time ago.I am not a fan of social media.Saddly a lot of forums and companys have gone the Facebook route...I will just have to miss out on all the fun and all the wonderfull people I don't know calling me there friend...

  16. #16d9gdon2017-11-24 20:22

    Hey I'm here. I went to Facebook once about 2 months ago and looked around a little. 2 days later, Facebook wouldn't let me back in without a phone number so I didn't wanna do that for a couple of days, then I gave in and gave them my phone number to get in. The next day they wanted a photo of me in order to log in. I decided that they didn't need a photo of me to verify my ID, so that's the last time that I'll ever be guilty of Facebooking. It's kind of like the Amazon owner, the owner of Facebook has political leanings totally opposite of mine so I don't care to patronize their websites anyway so that just gave me a reason to lead my life without them.

  17. #17Jumbo2017-11-24 23:00

    I will never use facebook; too easy to hack into and access your personal information. And, most of what I have seen on facebook is rubbish. I like the "dedicated" forums like this one. d9gdon; I don't care too much about political leanings, but I do care about selling anything and anyone for money. All these young upstarts like facebook, lyft, uber and the rest in my mind have no ethics. I am still of the age where your word meant something.

  18. #1892U 34062017-11-24 23:07

    I simply don't put any personal info on my Facebook page other than my name. I don't like Facebook groups because any idiot with a Facebook profile can join in and start spreading BS. At least on a site like this you have to actually put effort in to sign up. No Facebook portal here (and I hope this site never gets one).

  19. #19JPV2017-11-25 00:30

    I like this site even if it is a little quiet. I check in a couple times a day, if I had Facebook as well I would never get anything done! I have zero plans of ever going to Facebook but there is definitely some awesome pages there that are not a waste of time.

  20. #20Tinkerer2017-11-25 07:49

    Well I'm not/never was a logger so I never have anything to post here. But I sure like to read about it and seeing the photos especially old ones. For an amateur I have cut a lot of trees down thru the years tho.

  21. #21Hobbytime2017-11-25 12:30

    the slowdown is in all forums, for a multitude of reasons, I think forums are becoming old school as the new generation is stuck in social media, in time I think most forums will dry up or become so stagnant that noone will visit them, also the spam and password fiascos of the past has chased many away, along with all the forced advertisement you have to see or watch just to post or get answers, I dont do any of the social medias, but I can see down the line it will be the only option...and these forums will join a long list of obsolete items or places we use to use..

  22. #22check2017-11-25 13:34

    Maybe the only ones left on forums will be those of us who refuse to have anything to do with facebook.

  23. #23catwelder2017-11-25 15:02

    i use facebook to look at what is being sold since well no one here really post anything for sale

  24. #24Bumpsteer2017-11-25 17:11

    I want to take this opportunity to thank those that post and share their pictures here. You've shown me a logging world I never knew existed... It's appreciated more than you think. Ed

  25. #25loggers son2017-11-25 19:19

    Too busy logging to post..... sorry got to go back to work. Trev

  26. #26John C.2017-11-25 19:59

    I have a page on Facebook but don't use it much. I just check on relatives once in awhile. In the past I could not use it at all for professional reasons. I check here at least twice a day. I'm always looking to learn something new and maybe provide some experience if I have it. I have had customers, colleagues and acquaintances all tell me that Rusty Grapple's Facebook page is well worth the look and If I knew how to get there I sure would. That doesn't mean in any way that I would stop visiting this site. If you want photos drop a line in about what you would like to see. Over the last twenty one years I have inspected and appraised thousands of machines and have more than a hundred thousand photos of most anything used in construction and forestry, some stuff in agriculture and a few things in small to mid sized mining. My travels were mainly in Washington State, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and southern Alaska but have traveled the US as well.

  27. #27John Shipp2017-11-26 09:39

    Great to hear you are still about, Rusty G, some of my favorite threads on here and certainly the one that came up in google and led me to this site, have your old handle at the top. Would like to post pictures of the forestry contracting we get up to, but it's small scale compared to what gets posted on here I'm not sure it'd be interesting to anyone. So, I just check in every day and look forward to a few pictures of proper logging. Many thanks to all who do put up there stories and pictures.

  28. #28John Shipp2017-11-26 09:41

    John C, I have great interest in shovel loggers and service trucks of any shape and size, if you come across any pictures of them I'd sure like to see!

  29. #29mitch5042017-11-26 11:33

    John Shipp, please go ahead and post pics of what y'all do, maybe in a new "brit logging" or something thread. One of the best things about HEF is seeing the different ways we do things in different places.

  30. #30callingtheshop2017-11-29 12:20

    Hello everyone, I was off here for months, mainly good weather stuff and since winter has come a bit and will soon be here big time I have the time to visit and really enjoy this forum. I'm out of photos, so won't be posting anymore unless I discover any that were unposted. I too tried Facebook a few years ago after I was asked to post some of my back country photos and got one or two people who I had never heard of asking to be my friend. ***? I value my privacy a lot so I removed the photos and tried to remove my profile and the damn site wouldn't let me so I changed all I could on my profile to BS and walked away from it and have never returned. Thanks to all for posting so many interesting items and photos. DiamondT, I was in Dupuyer Montana Sunday 26-Nov-17 for lunch at Buffalo Joe's and had a look for the old Diamond T truck but it's gone now.

  31. #31Hallback2017-12-01 09:02

    All very good replies. I guess that it is a result of evolution.

  32. #32camptramp2024-05-12 01:24

    Well Hallback I'm going ti try and put a little life in this Forum . I have in my possession a suit case of slides and pictures , mostly slides . That were taken by my late cousin Gordon Franklin who was a Professional Forester who worked for a Major Forestry Company in Eastern Canada and for FERIC an arm of the Federal Government's Forestry Department . A lot of the pictures are from Eastern Canada , but some maybe from the West Coast and far away place's like New Zeland and Finland . I'm not familiar with most of the equipment , so if someone on here knows a little about it , perhaps they could help us out .

  33. #33Deere500a2024-05-12 03:12

    Skadill is a logging cat for all things yesterday of logging

  34. #34Hallback2024-05-12 09:03

    Much appreciated & an advance Thanks for sharing there CT and we will help you along and identify anything we can along the way. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

  35. #35callingtheshop2024-05-13 18:58

    Hi again, whew, for one I'm glad that HEF is still alive and working. I usually don't sign in and join in conversations anymore but I sure like reading the posts and not just in the Forestry section. My internet is very small so when photos come on, they pig out everything else and take forever to download. Maybe one day the providers will sell real high speed internet but I think the market here is too small to make much $$ for what has to be invested. Thank you to all who are able to contribute here, very much appreciated by myself.

  36. #36Hallback2024-05-13 21:18

    Starlink Best thing to happen to internet in 25 years

  37. #37Tugger22024-05-13 23:11

    Facebook is a rabbit hole that drags you in. There is some interesting stuff on it but also a ton of BS. This forum is the real deal when you want to see real things. Aside from the odd healthy argument every one is respectful . Heres a few from my days as a welder in the bush, my self ,a mechanic and our old time Master Mechanic did up this 7220 on a summer shutdown.

  38. #38camptramp2024-05-14 00:29

    I wish this Forum had the same features that it had when I first started posting on it . I have been trying to create a Gordon Franklin Collection thread . And I have just been wasting my time . Our world was once simple and useable . I have started a couple of threads in the past . I wish I was more computer savvy .

  39. #39Tugger22024-05-14 08:49

    My biggest problem with pictures is trying organize the ones i have. This darn computer dosent seem to let me divide them up into named categories.

  40. #40Hallback2024-05-14 19:02

    Hell, have you guys tried to find a Photo shop to develop film lately?

  41. #41camptramp2024-05-14 21:37

    Is there anyone on this Forum that could start a new thread " Gordon Franklin Collection " for me it would be much appreciated .

  42. #42Hallback2024-05-14 21:49

    Are you unable to start one CT?

  43. #43camptramp2024-05-14 21:57

    I'm not sure why . but the information and directions I found on here are not complete and I can't start a knew forum "Gordon Franklin Collection" . If you could get it up and running for me , it won't be long and I'll be posting new photos . I have no idea as to how many there are , but they fill up a good size suitcase of slides .

  44. #44Tugger22024-05-15 09:56

    As difficult as it is too to find a photo shop develop film these days ,even the word photoshop has taken on whole new meaning. Not so sure its a good thing.

  45. #45MarcusZ19672024-05-15 13:27

    Try this CT... HeavyEquipmentForums

  46. #46Hallback2024-05-16 16:43

    I agree 100%

  47. #47callingtheshop2024-05-16 22:03

    Hi, how ironic as yesterday while working on a bike with a friend he said he recently went to Starlink and so did 3 other locals. Today I spent a lot of time on their website going through all the fine print and understanding little but reading a lot of push for it. How long have you had it for and has it gone downhill at all in that time frame? I ask that because there was reference to future usage changes. My understanding is more customers using a limited amount of date. That's what I have now. Thank you, Rick

  48. #48Blk prince2024-05-17 09:25

    Still here as well. Check in to browse what is happening. With all the smaller equipment and highway trucks,not as interesting for me

  49. #49Birken Vogt2024-05-18 00:16

    I used it until recently in a very congested (techies live here) area. It did get pretty slow in the evenings for a while but toward the end of my time with them it had gotten quite fast again even in the evenings. I guess they made their constellation bigger or network stronger. It was great for me when I needed it.

  50. #50Hallback2024-05-18 12:51

    Ours has done nothing but speed up in the last year that we've had it

  51. #51Truck Shop2024-05-18 16:33

    There all gone crane operator.