From no knowledge and no experience I would like to be able to maintain and operate my own excavator safely and effectively. What steps can I take to achieve this?
operate equipment for about twenty years or so under the auspices of a overweight foul mouthed experienced operator and at that you will still have something new to learn every day.
First thing is to get an operators manual for the machine. It will give you the basics about using and maintaining the machine. Depending on circumstances you may be able to hire a experienced operator for a day to give you a schooling on excavators. Basic, flat ground digging with an ex is not rocket science. The bucket goes in, it scoops and comes out. It's when you get into uneven ground and working around underground services that you need to have experience. Also working around people on the ground takes a lot of care. If you are out in the sticks, with no underground stuff and flat ground you should be able to work it out for yourself. Anyway let us know what sort of work you want to do with an ex and we may be able to tell you more.
I want to do something that seems like it will be challenging. I want to push over a few thousand trees and the trees are large. Also, the area is rolling hills. A final challenge is that I tend to be a bit reckless.
Recklessness and Heavy Equip dont mix and when it happens tears always follow,start small, hire a mini and get used to that first ,the principles are the same only the gear is bigger. Stock
Sounds like the first thing that I would do is get two insurance policies if I was you. First one being some good life insurance, second being good damage insurance for the machine. Its good to know your limitations, but pushing trees over on slopes is not exactly where you train a beginner. Dead trees and trees with dead wood in them are not fun, they can double back from the push point and come down on the machine. You need to be agle to see the dead in the trees. Also when a tree tips, usually their is a root ball that comes out too, if you have a track on top of that root ball, and your on a slope, the tree can roll you. I'd hire an experience operator to give you some hands on training at the particular site at a minimum.
Can you do a course. Here in oz they run operators courses so you can get your ticket and learn the basics. I did this, learnt the very basics and safe operation and then learnt on my own and asked other operators.
Not to be a smart ass but, no expereince+ a bit reckless+ rolling hills+ 1,000 trees some large, and probabily alone or green help= DEATH or major hospital time! Is the money you save worth your life? Knockin down trees is xtremely dangerous even for an xpereinced hand. Please get some good help. Good luck.:drinkup Bob
In my experience with machinery{dozer, tractor, exavator, semi's, etc} they are not indestructible tanks. Infact I find the easier you treat the machine the more work you'll end up doing with a lot less down time. It is fun to watch the ones that feel indestructable especially when they get stuck and instead of getting help or stepping back for a minute they just keep digging in further.
I agree. Cderek I am NOT trying to discourage you I think it's great you want to own and run equipment. Landclearing is dangerous dangerous! And the cab on most excavators is not a ROPS or FOPS, a tree can squash it like a person stepping on an empty beer can. Get a little experience before you try landclearing.
As others have said this is an extremely dangerous situation. The good news is that you are not over confident and you are aware of your nature. This may well save your life. Obviously the safe thing is wet hire a suitable sized machine to do the job, if you consider the cost of purchase or dry hiring plus the potential for injury plus the fact because you are inexperienced it may well take you twice as long to do the job, you may well find that cost wise a wet hire works out better. Especially if you wreck the machine on the first tree. However if you are committed to challenging yourself to do this, please at least hire an experienced operator to show you how to remove trees with an ex and explain the forces at work when a ex is working. An ex is a pretty sturdy machine on flat ground but as soon as you work it off balance the potential for a tip over goes way up, especially for an inexperienced operator who may well panic when he/she feels the machine start to tip and push the lever the wrong way. Whilst an experienced operator can make using an ex looks like child's play it is not, particularly in the operation you are proposing.
Thank you all for your input. I don't know if I will dare to do this with an excavator. Certainly if I do it will be with extreme care. It is difficult to see what is in the canopy and also difficult to see what is dead because the leaves are so high up and both the dead and living trees are covered in lianas (vines). When clearing with a chainsaw I have seen huge pieces of trees fall. I always run like mad (just like all Belizians) when the tree starts to go. There is a heavy equipment operator in Belize who will clear my land for only US$450 per acre. I don't know how he does it but he is still alive. Perhaps I should save myself some worries and let the professionals get my land mowable. By hiring out all the work of land clearing and excavating I will have to spend 30 to 40K. With good luck I wouldn't spend more than 15K in fuel, upkeep and equipment depreciation if I did it myself.
Cderekbower Do you have any pictures of your site? Dont give up on operating Heavy equipment just yet maybe get the afore mentioned contractor to clear 10 acres or so and keep an eye on him ,see if you can learn from him ,then make up your mind if you want to continue yourself or let your contractor at it. Stock
But you also have to factor in possible machine damage, possible hospital time for yourself. The problem is not so much when you are starting out but when you get to tree number 300 at the end of the week and you are a bit tired (possibly getting a bit too confident) and your concentration slips a bit. An experienced operator may well instinctively know how to get out of it but an inexperienced operator usually tends to become a spectator of the disaster unfolding before their eyes or move the machine the wrong way and compound the problem. I am not trying to put you down or say you can't do it but am trying to say that this type of job is difficult and requires 100% focus 100% of the time. I would advise that if you do it yourself that you do not put in big days and take breaks regularly. Also I am curious as to why you want to clear the area? Running cattle? A golf course? And how are you going to get rid of the dead wood? Traditional match method? Tub grinder? If that 22.5 figure quoted includes all the work you had planned to do on the land, it may not be too far off the mark. Just for pushing over the trees it may be a bit high.
I am not trying to put you down or say you can't do it but am trying to say that this type of job is difficult and requires 100% focus 100% of the time. I would advise that if you do it yourself that you do not put in big days and take breaks regularly. Good advice. I think that is wise. Also I am curious as to why you want to clear the area? Running cattle? A golf course? Botanical garden focused on fruits and bird zoo. Primarily a place to retire but hopefully it will generate some income. And how are you going to get rid of the dead wood? Traditional match method? Tub grinder? Fire in mid dry season. If that 22.5 figure quoted includes all the work you had planned to do on the land, it may not be too far off the mark. Just for pushing over the trees it may be a bit high.[/QUOTE] Quote is for pushing over trees and pushing trees into windrows only. He says that if he has to dig out stumps the price will go up. I suspect he does not have heavy enough equipment to do the bulldozers and 1.5" cable method. What I hope is that I can find someone with the capability to do the cabling. 100 acres in one day is unbelievably efficient, and that is supposedly how much land the cablers can do in a day. Cabling would also be safe for the operators and machines. Yesterday I found the names of a few more guys with heavy equipment so maybe I can find the guys with the right equipment. 10 yrs ago 5000 acres of high jungle were cabled close to where I will live, so the method is known in Belize. My guy says that cabling won't work if the trees are too big, however. If I remember correctly his biggest 2 dozers are a D6 and a D4.
This is out of pocket money straight up , but the extra value the clearing puts on your land easily outweighs this . It will be up to your financial position which determines if you can afford the outlay with maybe no financial return for years . If it were me , I'd do it myself , save some money and get some valuable life training too boot . If you do it yourself , you will need some tips on keeping the shiny side up . When you come across a tree that is too big to push over , you will need to loosen the roots up . If you don't have a ripper , you can use your smallest bucket with teeth . Run a cut along the BACK of the trees root system , the side opposite the direction of intended fall . Then position the machine with its idlers at 90* to that cut , straight in line with the tree . Make a cut on the right side of the tree first , then make a cut on its left side (I do this so that if the tree does decide to pay you a visit the boom will protect you. If you do it the other way the cabin will be struck ). Leave the front alone , this will act as a hinge to direct the tree . It will also help to stop the tree coming at you if the bucket slips off while pushing . I always push from the top side , trees seem to lean downhill a little and the dirt will run down away from the roots , it also gives you more purchase . Heed the warnings of the others . Keep the twigs and leaves off your machine as they will light up and make you walk home . Also , i put a bucket tooth each side of the trunk , this help to stop the bucket slipping off and help you guide the tree . When it is down , scrape as much dirt off the roots as you can so it falls back in the hole .
Great tips Iron Horse, I like the hinge concept and will use it next time . . .
I have seen a US army pamphlet on pushing over trees with bulldozers and they recommend that you make your first root cut on the side where the tree will fall, (ie. the notch side if felling with saw.) Can you think of why the excavator would cut the opposite side first? To me it makes sense to do the back cut last (like the army pamphlet says) Or is this just the army trying to kill machine operators?
Cutting on the fall side does little , as all the roots on the top side are acting like tendons and are still holding the tree like they always did . Trying to pull them through the soil or snap lengthwise will be hard . Cutting on the backside will allow the root ball to simply rotate out of the hole and the front roots will simply fold over or break off . Doing it the way you describe also allows the tree to fall on your machine . Imagine in your mind , digging a hole in front of a tree and then pushing up high on the other side . What is it going to do ? Nothing more than if you hadn't dug a hole at all . On edit . If they were talking about removing stumps with a bulldozer , i think they would be correct . The dozer , pushing low , would force the stump into the hole where it could be plicked out with the blade .
How about, WANTED An experienced and mechanically talented equipment operator to help develop raw land in an eco friendly and sustainable jungle development project. The ideal applicant will be an adventuresome unemployed professional who enjoys challenges and would like to add to their resume. The opportunity to practice your skills in this paradise location may only occur once in a lifetime, we offer scuba on the the worlds premier barrier reef a short drive away, Mayan ruins and historic sites all within a short drive and unlimited opportunity for hiking and meeting nature first hand. Board and lodging, a small stipend and assistance with travel costs may be available for outstanding candidates. Please contact cderekbower to discuss this opportunity.
hi cderekbower I would love to teach you how to operate the excavator. how big a rush are you in. but I dont think my wife will let me travel to belize. I even speak espanol. I am sure you could find someone willing to travel to help you. I would if I was single young and the promise to meet some women my age. :drinkup
Don't they speak the Queens English in Belize? One would assume, that as a former colony of the empire, that the natives would be proficient in civilized communications.
You might come home with more than you left with . Hey Ma , don't worry about the firewood , I'm coming home with a load .