Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Where Is The Travel Alarm On New CAT 301.8?

Johnkn · 2025-10-15 19:39

Greetings, where is the travel alarm on a CAT 301.8? I can hear it behind the right side door, but I sure can’t find or see it. thanks .

Replies16
  1. #1Simon C2025-10-15 22:55

    It is on the outer most right corner. It is probably under the cab outside at the right front corner. That is what my Schematic shows the location as. You did not post your serial number, so it could be different. Not 100% sure. Simon C

  2. #2Johnkn2025-10-15 23:24

    Howdy Simon, thank you very much, the SN on this new machine is 0H8X12444 I spent 15 minutes today trying to track down where the sound is coming from. With the right side panel door open it sure sounds like it's coming from just below where the 'telemetry' box (??) is, which is above and in front of the key location. Moving my ear forward or backward the sound decreases.. thanks... .

  3. #3Simon C2025-10-15 23:31

    So the serial number you have does not fit onto my schematic list. May be in same location outside bottom right corner, may be different. Maybe Nige will share your schematic, he has helped many. Probably sleeping at the moment in England. Simon C

  4. #4Johnkn2025-10-15 23:52

    Although the sales order shows 0 H8X12444 when I scan the code under the seat it shows H8X12444 on the CAT site. I'm not sure if that helps.. Thank you for helping out a CAT rookie.. .

  5. #5Simon C2025-10-16 00:02

    There are tons of schematics I don't have. If it is the machine serial number plate, then my schematic is wrong. Some folks post a picture of the serial number. Simon C

  6. #6Johnkn2025-10-16 00:29

    Sorry to ask, I don't see a serial number plate, where is it located on the 301.8? There is a sticker below the seat, mostly populated in Chinese, with H8X12444 at the bottom.. thank you .

  7. #7Nige2025-10-16 05:45

    H8X12444 is actually the machine Serial Number. The PIN plate should be on the RH side of the machine close to the boom foot pin. See the attachment for the travel alarm location.

  8. #8heymccall2025-10-16 09:00
  9. #9Simon C2025-10-16 10:35

    Schematic I had was close, but I guess that only counts in horseshoes or hand grenades. LOL. Simon C

  10. #10Johnkn2025-10-16 11:58

    #1, THANKS everyone for the assistance.. I'm struggling a bit to understand the context and location of the zoomed in drawings above.. When I open the rear door and look down I see what I believe is the upper frame with 3 scallops. There is a largish hole (green arrow below) to the right side of the center scallop where the coolant overflow hose drains through. Directly above the hole is a bracket with 2 relays on the left and what I suspect is the alarm on the right. In the drawings above, the 'pedestal' to the right of the alarm, is that where the coolant tank mounts? See the pics below.. Is the alarm by the red arrow in each and it has a heat sink/cooling fins on top? Looking from the ground, I see 3 wires going to its bottom. I guess I expected to see a fuse in the main fuse box under and in front of the seat labeled "travel alarm" but I see no such fuse in that box.. Again, thank you... .

  11. #11heymccall2025-10-16 12:14

    In the drawing, the red circle is the engine mount support. In your picture, the red circle is, I believe, the top of that same engine mount.

  12. #12Johnkn2025-10-16 17:38

    OK, thank you. Yes, what you have circled above is the rear engine mount on mine.. So the red arrows are indeed pointing to the travel alarm in my pics, with 3 wires attaching from the bottom. (?) It don't really see a connector, just 3 wires that appears to be individually attached to spade connectors.. it looks like (2) light blue wires and a single white.. It's a pity there's no fuse that I can find. Again, thanks all! .

  13. #13heymccall2025-10-16 20:45

    No, the travel alarm will have 2 wires, and is somewhere near the coolant bottle. And within 4 inches of the two alarm wire studs, there will be a 2terminal connector that can be undone.

  14. #14Johnkn2025-10-16 22:16

    Thank you, my search continues in the morning... .

  15. #15Johnkn2025-10-18 18:12

    Found it.. 1000% needlessly difficult to access from the rear panel opening, and hidden. In my 70 years I've found that a machine/truck/car/boat, etc. isn't really yours until you leave some blood in it from working on it.. Well, I can say it's mine now... Remove the coolant tank, the alarm is under this heavy shield and the (2) leads project out the right side.. The (2) nuts holding the tank in place are 10mm, the nuts for the electrical leads are 7mm. Thanks everyone for your help, it was greatly appreciated.. .

  16. #16heymccall2025-10-18 18:31

    Now that I look harder, I can see the non-terminal side of that alarm