Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Where to buy a 7′ loader bucket lip extension?

RenoHuskerDu · 2022-04-30 09:35

My Mauldin M413XT has a 7' wide bucket. I want to extend the forward edge to increase volume capacity. I priced a piece of abrasion-resistant steel and it would be $650. Even my welder/steel guy said that's too high. We both thought that I could find one for sale to weld on and pay less. I bought one for an LS tractor a couple years ago and it was $200. But tractor buckets are typically a bit narrower. Anybody know a source for bucket lips?

Replies11
  1. #1RenoHuskerDu2022-04-30 13:06

    Found this on fleabay. 1/2" x 6" x 7' https://www.ebay.com/itm/264632413028?hash=item3d9d522b64:g:xT0AAOSw4kheRGlo

  2. #2RenoHuskerDu2022-04-30 13:07
  3. #3Labparamour2022-04-30 13:27

    I talked to these folks this week after finding in online search. Was looking at serrated blade. It came in 7’ length. They were very helpful. https://equipmentblades.com/ In South Dakota

  4. #4DB22022-04-30 17:26

    Lots of 7 foot grader blades available.

  5. #5Tinkerer2022-05-01 08:06

    Will adding another cutting edge really increase the capacity much ? It may if the bucket sides are extended. I'm thinking a triangular shaped side extension with the wide end on the top.

  6. #6crane operator2022-05-01 08:24

    The one you posted that's for sale on ebay- its a curved blade, and I think that would be a pain to put on a bucket. Get a flat one. Also- as narrow as the bucket arm and mount is on that maudlin, I don't think I'd get carried away building a big bucket for it, it doesn't look like its really made for heavy digging or lifting.

  7. #7RenoHuskerDu2022-05-01 14:28

    Yes I agree. That was before y'all told me about equipmentblades dot com. It's exactly what I need. The curved blade would have been tricky to weld on. Regarding bucket size, this odd machine apparently came with two sizes and mine is the smaller, typically used for asphalt work (which I don't do). @cuttin edge has a Mauldin like mine, iirc his bucket is deeper. I don't really dig with it, just move material already loosened with the rippers if that's needed. Yes I would have to build triangular corner plates from stock.

  8. #8cuttin edge2022-05-02 07:54

    How much does Mauldin want for a new bucket, then you would have 2. The long floor is great for leveling, and picking up things, but sometimes, depending on the material, it can be heavy. If I fill mine with wet material, it won't clear the side of a tandem truck. Sometimes all i takes is a little shake, to shed the weight and be able to get the full height. The new one is in the Country, not sure when it will arrive at our shop. They have been sending me some info on it. Lots of electronics. Hope they are good electronics. Don't get a bolt on. We weld ours on, so much nicer for picking up concrete and asphalt, slides right in, and doesn't get hung up in bolts. I think they just use a piece cut from a hardox plate. It lasts a couple seasons as long as you're not scraping asphalt.

  9. #956wrench2022-05-02 10:06

    Would a ‘half-arrow’ weld on edge work? Somebody must still make them

  10. #10RenoHuskerDu2022-05-02 12:57

    That outfit equipmentblades dot com seems great on the phone. They have a lot of options. An extended blade to weld on mine is only $29/foot. A bit harder steel would be $10 more. Great tip ! @cuttin edge I think I will weld it on the top so that won't affect back dragging. If I can't get access with blade, sometimes I do back drag. Thanks for the info.

  11. #11cuttin edge2022-05-02 14:09

    Just keep an eye on the linkage that keeps your bucket position, the one that runs above the boom from the windshield to the bucket tilt piston. With the heavier bucket, that is the weak point. Broken them on both our Mauldins