I've been looking at grade lasers and think I found what will work for me. I don't have a fortune to spend but want something good so am looking at a Spectra Precision set up. A dealer with really good reviews advertises they will beat any competitors price in their ads online. I went to the dealer and he was really helpful and gave me some prices. Around $1735 for everything. Looking online for comparison, I could save about $350 (25%) buying the components from Amazon with free shipping. I will gladly pay a little more to buy from the dealer but would it be wrong to see if they will match the Amazon price or alternately how much more would you pay to buy from a local dealer? They sell a lot of these so get good discounts on them.
I found it never hurts to ask… You’re still buying it from him instead of Amazon, which means you’re supporting local business, and chances are you’ll be going back to him in the future for service and for other equipment, even if he meet you in the middle and comes halfway pricewise you’re still ahead of the game… And so is he…
If you can't put it to work making money right now, wait a little. It will get cheaper. I would go to the local dealer and tell him you want it but you are a couple of hundred short, and a little nervous about this economy. You will be back to see him when you get some more money. If you don't leave with the machine at your price, there is a very good chance you will get a call within a week or two. The receiver you get for your rod eye needs to have a pickup range rather than just a spot, and have a back display as well. Yes, I just added about $100. to the price. But it makes the receiver a lot more useful. I have used mine in the shop several times to level out workpieces where I just set the receiver on the part and adjust the jack accordingly. Last time I was lengthening a swather frame. Much easier than using a bubble level.
Which model are you looking at? Bought a GL622N about 2 years ago and wish I would have bought a dual grade laser 10 years ago - it paid for its $2700 price tag on the first job. The pipe layer doesn't have to move the target on the rod and it drives our auto box blade for our CTL's.
I need it mostly for leveling a 1/4 mile flat track that will need to be done fairly often if it gets busy, assuming all social gatherings and sporting events aren't cancelled because of Covid 19. Going around with a grade rod is a PIA. Having something right on the box blade or skid steer would let me what's low in an instant. I was looking at a CR600 magnetic receiver $590 Cad ($531 amazon) and an LL300N laser $995 ($861, kit with tripod and grade rod Amazon), a tripod and grade rod $150. The remote for checking slopes is about $120. I priced a GL412N single grade laser and it was $2490 which is more than I want to spend right now.
You check ebay or Craigslist? Your can save quite a bit on a used laser.
I looked some for used but couldn't find what I was looking for. If it was 10% or maybe $150 more I'd buy from the dealer in a heartbeat. $350 or more seems a little steep. The CR600 receiver no problem. It's when you add everything together the difference in price grows a lot.
my two cents i have had top con lasers for years good dealer last time i heard around 700 TO 800 for the hole set first one i bought was over 3500 use becon on blade and all with mine
Comparing apples to apples Spectra are generally the best bang for the buck and the toughest lasers if they get bumped around or knocked over. I can a Bosch set up for under $1000 but it doesn't have a magnetic machine mount receiver or as high of accuracy. The laser I'm looking at is 3/32" at 100'. The more expensive lasers are 1/16" over 100'. The Bosch is 1/4" over 100'. Spectra have the most experience and highest reputation with grade lasers for machines. They apparently have some deal with Cat for the automatic machine systems that standard Spectra dealers can't sell them. The place I was talking to sells Leica machine systems with are the competition. Leica are generally about $300 more for a comparable laser because they are Swiss. The place I went does sell Level Best systems and even rents a skid steer mount for $500/day (to purchase is about 40K). I would have to make a universal quick attach adaptor to use on my skid steer which is slightly smaller than they recommend. I don't want to have to rent a machine for 2 days every month or 2 to level the track. That's why I think it's worth buying a more basic system. If I had races with 100 entrants every weekend I'd look into something more elaborate. I was thinking about a road grader down the road but worry about what repairs could be needed on a machine in my price range.
Call your local PAWN SHOP.. theres plenty here in Charleston.. I always thought that was strange..what were these guys doing that u have to pawn your grade laser.??
It's not the guysthat own them having to pawn their lasers.....it's the guys that lift it outta the back of your truck when you stop for coffee, lunch, or a beer at the end of the day and don't lock it in the cab.....
I saw the odd ad from a pawn shop. I'd rather buy from the user so they can show me it all works properly. You can usually tell a lot about a person when you meet them too. Buying new having a full warranty is good too, especially for something like this. I like the place I went to and they also service them and rent them. They have 4 branches in Western Canada and are the largest Spectra dealer. Maybe they'd sell a rental? If I bought from Amazon and had an issue I'd feel like a heel taking it to this shop. They might tell me to take a hike. I don't mind paying more at a dealer just need to decide how much more is acceptable. They had an LR50W machine receiver for $2820. I saw it online c/w with the RD20 in cab remote for $1999. That's a huge difference. I don't need it for a couple month's so I'm not in a big hurry. Right now I'm dealing with a stupid county. First they wanted me to apply for a development permit after operating for 15 years. OK, now they want an emergency preparedness plan as part of the application. Holy crap, it's an outdoor off road vehicle park. It's not like it's going to spontaneously combust or 100 people are rushing to get out of a 1 door building.
Or it was the one that took a ride down a dirt pile